Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• fenix said:

fenix said:

Buy the shakedry for the rides when you don't wear a ruxksack?

Rucksacks suck. How long are you riding with one ?

its about a 1/2 hour into work and 45 mins back. I often dump the bag and try to do a 2 / 3 hour on the way back and thats when i have been caught out
    Can you not get a bar bag (PX were doing one for £10) or a big under saddle pack to replace the rucksack maybe ?

Nothing will work for you with a rucksack on the back - it will press water into your back as well as make your back sweaty.
    Its the laptop moving that needs the rucksack. Panniers for a small 12" laptop feel wrong.
    I am working on another solution so maybe its time to accelerate that and go with a shakedry !
  • Any deals on reasonably priced winter (waterproof) road shoes? I might invest for this winter. Currently wear Northwave, but don't really want to fork out £270 for some that don't have vents in the sole (why would winter shoes have them?).
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056

timothyw said:

This seems alright for a winter commuter/tourer/gravel job, only XXL still in stock though
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-substance-vr-adventure-road-bike-tiagra-2019/

Looks a good deal for giants like Wolfsbane2k, just XXL in stock.
    XXL on offer you say? OOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.
    That looks absolutely gorgeous - very similar kit out to the 2020 Diverge Elite I now ride, but with more clearance for different wheels. A second winter capable commuter - do I really need it?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

Any deals on reasonably priced winter (waterproof) road shoes? I might invest for this winter. Currently wear Northwave, but don't really want to fork out £270 for some that don't have vents in the sole (why would winter shoes have them?).

Err, not sure you’ve said what you mean there! You don’t want to fork out on shoes that DON’T have vents in the sole? And then ask why would winter shoes have them!

The solution I’ve found to dry, warm feet in winter is a goretex lined winter boot coupled with Spatz overshoes that reach half way up your shin. With those over your shoes, but under your tights/ leg warmers I’ve found that is the only combination that stops your feet getting wet from rain or road spray for more than a couple of hours.

So it wouldn’t really matter which shoe/ boot you have as long as it is unvented, just get the cheapest and splash (pardon the pun!) the extra on a pair of Spatz!

It takes a bit of effort to get everything on, but is worth it in my opinion.

PP

• Sorry, I meant it seems the warm northwave ones without vents come in at stupid price. I don't understand why winter boots with vents exist.

Thanks.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    wouldnt your feet boil without some vents? my solution for winter shoes was the most vented i could find with foil under the insole and then good neoprene overshoes, sure they get wet but they stay warm and dry quickly
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Yes, it could be I'm missing the point completely. I don't think my feet would ever boil when it's cold, but I could be wrong. It could be that the vents are needed even in waterproof shoes.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    the vents aren't air vents - it's to let the water out ... otherwise you're pedaling in a bath ...

Oh - I got 2 pairs of Shimano Overshoes for 9.99 each from Probike kit yesterday - included UK shipping - that's this winter sorted ...
  • Thanks, makes sense. I also hate having to dry out the inside of my shoes when I get to work - on a proper wet day they never get properly dry before putting them back on. (In addition to getting cold through the air vents in my summer shoes.)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-500l-micro-180l-pair

Lezyne Micro 500L and Micro 180L Pair - £33.99
    A solid pair of compact, durable bike lights ideal for any commuter that comes with a 500 lumen front light and 180 lumen rear light

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    https://www.evanscycles.com/garmin-edge-530-mtb-bundle-EV365217
    Garmin 530 bundle for £179....what?! MTB flavour, but why not?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    That edge 530 is a Billy bargain!
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Quick warning if you see "deals" for Cycliq cameras in the next few days..- I thought i'd got a reasonable deal at, in effect, £175 for the Fly12 Ce at cycle republic (£198, with £25 off a £250 purchase, and I needed a new lock) , but wondered if it was going to be a 2 or 3 year tech refresh cycle..

"ALL NEW FLY6 CE GENERATION 2 – LAUNCHING CYBER WEEKEND 2019."
    That's the 2nd of December 2019.
    https://cycliq.com/FLYDAY/?v=79cba1185463&v=79cba1185463
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Wiggle got some Castelli Perfetto RS long sleeved jerseys for 90 quid which seems decent.

Not entirely sure of the difference between them and the standard ROS variant, and strangely the RS doesn't feature on Castelli's website as far as I can see.
  • Have found some nice cycling jerseys on https://vomax.com/. Men's Venom Pro 4-Panel Jersey Tech Tee is avalailbe for 65 Dollar. Has anayone good experience with those outfits?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited November 2019
    Not much in the way of bargains at the moment then?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Not much in the way of posting at the moment so far as I can see....

There were a few sort of bargains via aliexpress for 'singles day' on Monday, bought a set of novatec centerlock disc hubs for £57 (and some carbon rims, although these weren't actually on sale).

Wiggle/CRC sale is spectacularly unimpressive. They seem to have just listed half their products which were already in the clearance sale (or not even that) for the same price they were on before and called it their black friday sale.

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    this thread is dead...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,585
    Mostly waiting to unleash Black Friday.
    Some have tried to go early. Unspectacularly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • redvision said:
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-super-cycle-gps-with-mapping/ for £20 extra at ~£70 is so worth the extra (I've had one for ~2.5 years), for features such as ANT+ and much more memory space.

After a ropey mobile signal on Three SIM last weekend in North Wales, it's made me think about the benefits of offline mapping with auto-rerouting from the MegaXL, might be tempted if it shows up anywhere sub £150 in the coming weeks.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited November 2019
    pblakeney said:

Mostly waiting to unleash Black Friday.
    Some have tried to go early. Unspectacularly.

Yep, Sigma Sports have just replaced the sale stickers with Black Friday ones, no further discount.

The best I've seen is this:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/orro-terra-c-adventure-105-mens-gravel-bike-2019.html

£1,350 with the voucher for a very capable carbon gravel/winter bike with full 105 hydro and currently available in all sizes.

• After a ropey mobile signal on Three SIM last weekend in North Wales, it's made me think about the benefits of offline mapping with auto-rerouting from the MegaXL, might be tempted if it shows up anywhere sub £150 in the coming weeks.

You can just download maps for the area you are in from Google maps so it is available offline.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Indeed - I've got the whole of my cycling area saved offline for when i er, get a bit lost.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=Android&hl=en

• After a ropey mobile signal on Three SIM last weekend in North Wales, it's made me think about the benefits of offline mapping with auto-rerouting from the MegaXL, might be tempted if it shows up anywhere sub £150 in the coming weeks.

You can just download maps for the area you are in from Google maps so it is available offline.
    Last time I checked, Google Maps needs a connection to suggest a route and give you elevation details, offline maps will simply give you an idea if your location.

Which can be fine in some situations, but when you have multiple routes to get from A to B on country lanes, some of which have insane 25%+ gradients on them and the "feels like" temp is +1C before moving wind chill factor and you don't mount your mobile to your bike frame...

When it works, turn by turn directions that appear on your GPS computer is a modern godsend, especially when it can re-route if you ignore/miss a turning.

Being able to do that when your internet connection drops is a modern day cycling luxury, making rides into unknown territory without stopping every ~5mins to check where you are on Google Maps on your mobile, means your moving ride time to elapsed ride time ratio is far better! ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited November 2019
    DDUK code gives hourly declining discount (started at 12% this morning, max discount £25) on many products at Probikekit.

Makes 4iiii 5800 crank power meter ~£215 at time of writing, cheapest price it's been for months, best ever price I know of is £199 https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-power-meters/4iiii-precision-2.0-3d-power-meter-105-5800-black/11273315.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • edindevon
    edindevon Posts: 325
    edited November 2019
    As posted on HUKD, you can now buy the Shimano RS21 Clincher Road Wheelset for £62.99 at CRC with the code CLEAR10 - https://chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-rs21-clincher-road-wheelset/rp-prod191606
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edindevon said:

As posted on HUKD, you can now buy the Shimano RS21 Clincher Road Wheelset for £62.99 at CRC with the code CLEAR10 - https://chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-rs21-clincher-road-wheelset/rp-prod191606

Guessing these would not be an upgrade on a DT Swiss R460 wheelset fitted to a new Specialized Allez Elite?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    edindevon said:

Does anyone know if these are suitable for a 100kg fatty cyclist?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.