Starter TT bike Cannondale 105 slice vs Boardman ATT 9.0

Hello, just wondering which to go for. I was set on the Boardman until I seen this deal on the Slice which has a lot of extras.

I can get the Boardman with the code and cycle to work costing £1024
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-att-9-0-mens-time-trial-bike-2019.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAqqTuBRBAEiwA7B66hS5AaoLtTcMLian3vLAwNbLbYxwYcJ5vrZEqJVlpTBiuJUkZERpBHBoCpa4QAvD_BwE

Or I have found this Triathlon package here coming in at £1050 with a discount code
https://www.triuk.com/Triathlon-Bikes/Cannondale/International-Only---Cannondale-Slice-105-Replica-Mens-Triathlon-Package-Black-or-Lime/360553

Comments

• Nobody :(
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Are you wanting to ride TTs or triathlons?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited November 2019
    They are both good starter bikes with the same group set. Not really a lot to choose between then to be honest. I would pick the one fits you best, or if the geometry is the same then I'd pick the one that looks the nicest.

For me that would be the Boardman.

Edit: Just had a look at the geometry and the stack on the Slice is a lot higher (27mm higher for the Slice 54 vs Boardman SM) So it depends on whether you are long and low or tall and thin.

I've got long legs for my height so I go tall and thin. Pick which one suits you best. Note that this doesn't mean I'm tall or thin, it just means it's a better fit for my body shape.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Just TT's TBH. I'm 5'9 but not thin. Around 13 Stone
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

Just TT's TBH. I'm 5'9 but not thin. Around 13 Stone

It's more to do with your ratio of leg length to torso length.

I'm 5'9" but I've got a 34" inside leg. This means my saddle height is 775mm on my TT bike. If I pick a bike that's too low at the front I'm either going to have to put a load of spacers under the stem or my hip angle is going to be very closed and my lower back is going to hurt like hell. Neither of these things help you go very fast regardless of how aero you look.

So, for my shape I need something with a relatively high stack. In my case a Fuji Norcom Straight, and even then I've got 25mm under the pads to bring them up a bit.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Ah OK I have a 32.5" inside leg, been doing numerous sportive normally in the top 10%. FTP currently 283W so thought I'd like a bash at a few TT's
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464

Ah OK I have a 32.5" inside leg, been doing numerous sportive normally in the top 10%. FTP currently 283W so thought I'd like a bash at a few TT's

If you just want to try TTs just get some bolt on aero bars. Then if you don't like it you can sell them and all you've lost is £30 or so.

If you've done some before ignore the above.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    gsk82 said:

If you just want to try TTs just get some bolt on aero bars. Then if you don't like it you can sell them and all you've lost is £30 or so.

+1. Not only is a TT bike a big outlay but the bike itself is probably one of the least effective components of going fast. Much better to start with aerobars, skinsuit and pointy hat but TBH there's as much fun to be had from riding a standard road bike.

If the bug bites then look at getting a s/h bike locally later in the year or for next year. There are always a surprising number of people who buy a TT bike, ride it for a season or even less then losing interest or other commitments mean they don't race any more.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.