Replacement suspension forks for 2010 Apollo Phaze

I have a 2010 Apollo Phaze which I am currently slowly modifying/upgrading. I want to replace the standard suspension forks but I have read that when replacing the suspension forks it is recommended not to exceed the original suspension travel by more than 20mm to 25mm otherwise it has a serious affect on the geometry and ride of the bike. The original SR Suntour M2000 have 50mm of travel, are a bit spongy making for slightly vague steering and plunge a lot under heavy breaking. Can you recommend some potential suitable forks that would provide a better ride and more responsive steering? Bearing in mind that I only intend to do easy trail riding so won't be attempting any jumps or riding off any large drops.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should have posted this in the MTB workshop section really.

You need to find out the diameter of the steerer on top of the forks, but that looks like a zero stack headset so likely they are 1 1/8" (28.6mm) if it's 1" you'll struggle to find decent forks.
    The steerer length needs to match as well, too short and you can't reattach the bars at the same height.
    Forks that are 'better enough' will cost more than the bike is worth if you buy new, I'd have a look on ebay for some older Rockshox forks that can be run at 80mm travel like a SID or Reba.
    I'd also bin those wheels, they are hideously heavy, prone to sudden failures and make for an uncomfortable ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.