2020 vs 2019 Canyon bike, but which wheels/tyres & shifters?

RedClip
RedClip Posts: 110
edited November 2019 in Road beginners
Hi Everyone,

Could you please help me out?
I'm thinking about buying my first "proper" road bike, a Canyon Endurance AL 7 Disc.

On the Canyon website, there's last years and this years models.
The 2020 is £1399 with DT Swiss E 1850 wheels and Continental Grand Prix tyres and the 2019 is £1209, with Mavic Aksium Elite UST Disc wheels and Mavic tyres.
Is it worth spending the extra money (£190) to get the 2020 bike and I guess, the better wheels and tyres?

I will be upgrading from a flat bar hybrid bike (13.2 KG), which I use for leisure cycling.
About 80% on roads and 20% on canal towpaths (tarmac, cobbles, gravel, small stones/rocks etc).
(Littleborough to Brighouse, if anyone is familiar with the towpath).

I really just need the bike and wheels to be good quality and survive potholed roads and towpaths.
If I bought the 2020 version, I probably wouldn't upgrade the wheels. I'd only upgrade the 2019 version, if I damaged them in some way, well not immediately anyway. If them makes sense?

Maybe get the 2019 bike and update the tyres, to a better spec Continental, as a bare minimum?

Secondly, as I've only been riding for just over a year, using flat handlebars.
Is fitting the drop bars with Shimano 105 R7025 (small hands) levers, instead of the regular Shimano 105 R7020 levers worth while?
I think I've got regular sized hands, but wondered if it would be just easier to use.
(I'm not sure in Canyon allow any customisation when ordering their bike??).

Thank you for your help :)

*** Edit ***
Never mind, sorted.

Comments

• I had your exact question a week ago. In the end though I noticed the Canyon AL6.0 disc had newly arrived. Bought it. Love it. £1199.
  • RedClip
    smethley said:

I had your exact question a week ago. In the end though I noticed the Canyon AL6.0 disc had newly arrived. Bought it. Love it. £1199.

Thank you for the suggestion.
    I would have gone for the "6", if there was a Black colour option. Which contradicts me thinking about the 2019 "7" :p
    I don't know if blue would suit me :D
    The 50/34 chainring on the "6" sound better too.

Have you bought any clip on mudguards for it?
    Can also tell me how long you had to wait from ordering to delivery?

Thank you.
  • It's nice looking blue when you see it. Also I'd heard the black scratches easily.
    Yes to clip-ons - SKS Raceblade Pro XLs.
    I was told two weeks, but it came within one week. Easy assembly (with excellent instructions if you read that sort of thing!).
    I was nervous about mail order, but needn't have been. They keep you updated and responded to a query within hours.
  • RedClip
    smethley said:

It's nice looking blue when you see it. Also I'd heard the black scratches easily.
    Yes to clip-ons - SKS Raceblade Pro XLs.
    I was told two weeks, but it came within one week. Easy assembly (with excellent instructions if you read that sort of thing!).
    I was nervous about mail order, but needn't have been. They keep you updated and responded to a query within hours.

I appreciate your feedback.
    Thank you :)