R7000 Front Derailleur Problem

I'm having a problem making the R7000 front derailleur shift to the big ring. I'm pretty sure it can do it as when I take it to a bike shop they can make it work.

When I try it, the FD shifts but just not far enough. When I push it by hand it has the movement to go all of the way.

Is it a case of just not having enough tension? I pull the cable tight with pliers before tightening the bolt. Sometimes the bolt mechanism pivots away from the bike when I tighten the bolt hard. I then use the tiny Allan bolt to apply more tension as well as the barrel adjuster. However, nothing works.

Any help would be appreciated. I've tried following the Shimano manual but to no avail.

Comments

• jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    Are you possibly reinstalling the cable when the shifter is set to the outer ring? When you click to the inner ring, is there any slack in the cable? If so, keep the shifter in that (the lowest) position, then undo the cable, pull the slack through, and redo the bolt. Maybe screw the barrel adjuster right in beforehand, to give you the chance to further tighten the cable once you've done up the bolt.

Caveat: I don't use Shimano, and am aware these front mechs have a new design, that I don't know much about. Barrel adjusters on a front mech sounds a great idea though...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I had a similar problem after taking delivery of a new bike from Rose - could not get the chain to shift onto the big ring. Reckoned the problem was not enough cable tension so had a look for some instruction on what to do. The new R7000 and Ultegra 8000 front derailleurs now have a built-in tension gizmo that should avoid the need for in-line or cable stop barrel adjusters.

I did a bit of googling and came up with the video below which explains how to set up the R7000 front derailleur from scratch. I ignored the first part of the video which is all about the installation of the derailleur. If you start watching at about 7mins in it will detail how the tension device works and what you need to do if you want to increase the cable tension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zZWAUp6oOE

On my bike the two white lines were not quite matching so I wound in the small 2mm adjuster until they lined up. After that adjustment the FD shifted up correctly.

Hope that is some help
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    As said above, these mechs have an inbuilt tension guide so that when the two lines are aligned the tension is correct. Assuming the limit screws are correctly set you should be able to shift if the tension indicators align.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • papad
    papad Posts: 23
    Thanks for the replies.
    For those with a similar problem, I found out that I had to take care to make sure the cable went round the tension bolt and through a small indentation facing the chainrings.
    This made all the difference.