First Spinning session but are they really worth doing?

Hi All, did my first ever spinning session today at the gym and to be honest found it hard but enjoyable.
Thing is should I do regular sessions, it was with a mate to a recorded 30 minute video trying to follow the instructors in the footage, as although it was sweaty and I felt I had to work at it I couldn't get my head around the resistance on the spinning bike.
I like numbers when I cycle, HR, cadence, Watts, etc but had none of those on the spinning bike generally riding to RPE which I never do out on the roads.
Does anyone regularly do spinning sessions and can offer me some tips/advice please.
Regards Tony.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    A good class is like a good turbo session.
    If they're doing press ups on the bars or leaning side to side - it's just aerobics on a bike.

I do one or two sessions a week and it really works for me. You still need the long rides though for endurance.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I know you have to have a decent trainer but Zwift at£13pm is a sight cheaper than any germ gym subscription. And you get actual cycling specific work and race simulation.
    Your choice. Regular also means 4 to 5 a week over winter...I’d rather be at home.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    I used to go 2-3 times a week because I enjoyed it. Stopped for various reasons and struggle with hills now so starting again to see if it comes back (I know I should just rude up more hills...)

I've never done one of those virtual spin sessions, always had an instructor in person which is probably more of a laugh. If you're not getting anything from being there with other people you may as well get a turbo and do it on your own.

Classes vary - the one we did this week they called it a HIIT spin class but it was just like standard spin classes used to be 10 years ago. I find riding to an rpm difficult, but it's probably good training.

If you're struggling with the bike things then go and ask someone for help (a class with an instructor is good). I found out there were 2 types of bike with different "gear" ranges which is why I was maxing out with not much effort sometimes!

It definitely gets easier the more that you go, but that means you can push yourself harder.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Just rude up hills. Is that riding without any shorts on.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391

I used to go 2-3 times a week because I enjoyed it. Stopped for various reasons and struggle with hills now so starting again to see if it comes back (I know I should just rude up more hills...)

I've never done one of those virtual spin sessions, always had an instructor in person which is probably more of a laugh. If you're not getting anything from being there with other people you may as well get a turbo and do it on your own.

Classes vary - the one we did this week they called it a HIIT spin class but it was just like standard spin classes used to be 10 years ago. I find riding to an rpm difficult, but it's probably good training.

If you're struggling with the bike things then go and ask someone for help (a class with an instructor is good). I found out there were 2 types of bike with different "gear" ranges which is why I was maxing out with not much effort sometimes!

It definitely gets easier the more that you go, but that means you can push yourself harder.

Thanks thistle, It was probably the first time that made it feel Odd. I take your point on having an instructor leading the class as the audio from the video was difficult to hear clearly at times and having someone push you more is probably the thing I'm after as getting out on the roads for a hard training ride seems more difficult to do what with the weather..
    We did a hard session in the gym, not heavy weights, and ended with the cycling session so were already pooped lol.
    I will stick with the sessions and see how I feel but its encouraging to know they are beneficial to maintaining my fitness over winter.
    Thanks Tony.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you are elevating your heart and not doing anything you'd not do on a bike (no silly riding at 30 rpm or something) then it's all good.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I like spin bikes because you can give them "some wellie" far more than I would dare do on my road bike clamped onto a turbo trainer particularly at probably the weakest point of the frame. I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of data in a spin class, just follow the instruction with a bit of improvisation here and there to make it a hard as you like.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...