Zwift Ramp test

Hi all
I was using my carbon bike on the kickr snap and decided to swap my MTB onto it cos I was afraid of breaking the dropouts at the back.mtb is a heavy alu frame so no worries about breaking it.
Anyway..I seem to find the mtb seriously harder work than the road bike....as in I did the zwift ramp test tonight and could barely get past 260 watts before I blew up....I know your prob thinking lack of fitness but I've been doing a few workouts on the road bike and still riding outdoors a bit so fitness isnt to bad just yet and was able to do them at higher watts without blowing up the way I did tonight...any ideas what could be happening.....is the MTB the reason for it...don't know
Tia
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Position will be different so that would affect things.

If you're doing all the training on the MTB then you need to go with the FTP on that bike.

Was it a big percentage out ?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    What tyres where you using on each bike? Differences there could well be the cause of the issue.
  • fenix said:

Position will be different so that would affect things.

If you're doing all the training on the MTB then you need to go with the FTP on that bike.

Was it a big percentage out ?

Only started on the MTB with the last 2 workouts which were noticeably harder which pushed me towards the ramp test...when I had finished my ftp had dropped by 45 watts which was crazy to me as I've been still cycling...thought then it has to be the mtb....I'm using a 700x32 slick tyre on the MTB.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • wongataa said:

What tyres where you using on each bike? Differences there could well be the cause of the issue.

Road bike is a 700x25 tyre and MTB is a slick 700x32 tyre which I bought for the sole purpose as any MTB tyre would cos serious noise and vibration on the turbo.

Wheelset on the road bike is fulcrum quattros and MTB set is alexrims(pure crap wheel) if that would make any difference.

Gonna have a go in a day or 2 on the road bike at the test and compare it til I see the crack.👍
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Your carbon dropouts are fine. Stick with the road bike.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.