MTB hardtail recommendations sub £750

Hi guys,
I'm new to all to MTB, I rode a bit when i was younger but really want to get back into it. I've done a lot of research on which bikes to look at. My budget is £750 and my main purpose is to do a lot of trails on a hardtail. I really like the look of the Whyte 605 2020, however I've seen no reviews on that or the 2019 edition. I also like the voodoo bizango, I know it gets a lot of love and is highly regarded but I prefer the Whyte aesthetically. I'm a fan of the Kona Mahuna too but would just like some advice off you folks on which bikes I could by ie new recommendations and thoughts on the bikes I have stated.
Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    All the bikes you mention get good reviews but you really need to test ride a few bikes in your price range and find out which feels best to you.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I own a Whyte and love the bikes, but really the Fork on the Bizango is so much better than on the 605, that alone would settle it for me. Stiffer, through axle and air.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bizango get good reviews in terms of VFM.

There should be some good sales on a the moment for 2019 bikes.

Paul's Cycles are usually pretty good.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/mountain-biking/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail-mtb/instock/onsale/adult

Vitus from CRC are pretty good as well.

You'll get a sensible bike for £750 but you must try a few to get something that works for you.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • Thanks for your advice folks, really appreciate it!
    I've now decided to slightly up my budget to around £1K (Cycle to Work Scheme) and was looking at the Nukeproof scout 290 sport. Any thoughts on that one too?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I would also look at the Vitus Sentier - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-sentier-29-vr-bike-sx-eagle-1x12-2020/ or if you can stretch to it https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-sentier-29-vrs-bike-xtslx-1x12-2020/ (also available as a 650b+ instead of 29er).
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Sentier VR is a better specified bike but is £100 above the Cycle to Work Scheme.
    A 2019 Sentier VR would fit the bill if you can find one.

Are you limited to certain dealers with the scheme, @cameronburt28?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Shop brands or internet direct sellers offer the best value normally but you have carefully pick through them to make sure you are getting a great deal and some allow discounted bikes on a cycle2work scheme and some don't. Take your time and I'm sure you will get a very decent bike for very little money (with your tax savings).

• I like the Vitus but it is slightly over the 1k budget at £1100, I cant seem to find any 2019 ones either (I'm guessing they're high demand). The reason I said the Nukeproof was that it was on sale for £950 which leaves me £50 to spend, but I'm happy to pay £1K if any other suggestions were made or I can find a Vitus index budget.
    Thanks
  • JBA said:

Sentier VR is a better specified bike but is £100 above the Cycle to Work Scheme.
    A 2019 Sentier VR would fit the bill if you can find one.

Are you limited to certain dealers with the scheme, @cameronburt28?

The voucher hasn't been approved yet but there is a long list of cycles shops available on the bike to work scheme
  • You could consider 2nd hand. To get back in to mountain biking I picked up a 2 year old Whyte 905 off the internet. Great condition, well looked after, the seller was upgrading to FS, so I've got a lot of bike for less than your budget.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    ^^^ This is what I did ^^^

I picked up my Cube second-hand; it had barely been ridden (typical story, boy with more money than willpower buys a bike then realises it is hard work and parks it in the shed until the other half insists it is sold - it was exactly the same for my Fuji road bike too). I have since put thousands of miles on it with just consumables going on it (tyres, pads, BB and only this week I treated it to a new pair of wheels).

Now, I'm not immune to the call of the shiny new bike but I constantly watch used gear and when a gem pops up I'm on it. Of the seven bikes currently in our household, only one was bought new.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere