Best sub 1k (cycle2work) road bike, light is good

Daniel B here.

Looking for rim brakes, and probably 105.
Thinking alloy likely more than carbon.

Anything from Whyte fit the bill?
Otherwise thinking maybe spesh, as would give my trusted lbs (who also stock whyte) some extra business too.

Comments

• Not C2W, but £800 for https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPFOR22/planet-x-pro-carbon-force22 is pretty good, claims 8Kg for med.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8-9c-road-bike-grey is £765 with PAYDAY10 code (~9Kg)

In comparison by weight, the basic 2019 Allez was 9.73Kg according to https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/specialized-allez-2019-review/ , but they liked it for £630.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Dolan Etape? They take C2W and a grand gets you either 105 or more excitingly Centaur:

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-bikes/road-bike-carbon/dolan-l-etape.html

According to this review the Etape in 105 flavour is 8.5kg:

https://road.cc/content/review/214968-dolan-letape-105

I've had one in the past and can't fault it, excellent bike.
  • I bought the Ribble Endurance AL last year via the scheme, it arrived really late so I didn't ride it too much this year but I was quite pleased with once I'd set it up ok.
  • feltf70
    feltf70 Posts: 20
    edited November 2019
    Cheers chaps, will check out those offerings :-)

Oh and allegedly the Elite in a 56 weighs in at 8.9kg, and I'd be after a 54.
  • feltf70
    edited November 2019
    Any Giant offerings I should look at?

Have never looked at them, but my lbs stock them too.

I can take fairly aggressive geometry, so probably more that end of the scale versus endurance.

Just noticed the contend has replaced the defy, looks like a M would fit me.

SL1 apparently weighs in at just under 9kg.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2019
    EDIT: You should be able to go over £1000 for cycle 2 work now. Also, some people (including BTR) are very happy with Boardman SLR 8.9C. Available in non-red too (gray & black).

The old (2017 to 19) SL1 should be about 8.8 kg. You might be able to still get the '19 for a nice price; but note I am sure tt the 2020 model has an updated frame: The welds between the seatstays and seatpost are definitely changed, fork rake and trail values are different (new fork?) and the stack and reach are a smidge more agressive on the '20.

Suprisingly, Giant changed the ratios quite substantially (according to their website), the older one has a 50-34 coupled with a 34-11 cassette, while the new one is 52-32 and 30-11 cassette. From older posts of yours on power, I guess you prefer the 52-36.

Size: I've got a 2016 Giant Defy SL2 in M (similar alu, pretty much the same geometry as the '19, Tiagra). I'm 1m76, with an inseam of 82 cm, and find the bike oh so slightly short. Definitiely fixable with a slightly longer stem.
  • feltf70
    edited November 2019
    Hi Dr H,

interesting Giant facts there - my two best bikes run 52/36 and 53/36 - so I expect I would be fine with that, although potentially the 30 cog is a bit stingy for some of the climbs, though a cassette is an easy thing to change, and not costly.
    The 52 on the front would be used, as on the downhills, and around the coast, you can certainly make some good progress.

I'll have to have a look and see if I can find the geometry's somewhere - realistically I think the most sensible time to buy would be around this time next year, as they tend to have sales on in my lbs, and if at all possible I would really like to give them the business (Have only bought 2 bikes from them before) as they do a lot of work in the local community, support racing events (Run a CX series), and have weekly shop rides, which I go on sometimes.
    That clearly limits me to alloy, well unless I can breach the 1K limit, but it's difficult to justify for the amount of use it will get - having said that, it should live out there for some 15+ years.
    If that was not the case, the Dolan looks like stunning value, and if they had kept the yellow highlighted one as per the Road cc review, I may well have gone that route!
    Quite a long TT on them, would mean I would have to go for a 48cm also - I'm normally a 54, though I realise the sizing is probably relating to the sloping top tube.

I also deffo want to stick to rim brakes, as I have very little expertise with disc brakes, and want to keep fairly self sufficient, and not have to worry about spongy brakes when I get there.
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • If you fit a large there's this:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-920-af-road-bike-red-blue-ultegra-id_8403061.html

Otherwise this was posted in another thread and could be a good option as it's available in all sizes, some better wheels and tyres could lead to a pretty light bike:

https://www.cyclerepublic.com/tifosi-scalare-potenza-11-mens-road-bike-2019.html
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited November 2019
    I'm back on my normal account, was my fault entirely :/

I have narrowed down the search - the 2019 Giant TCR Advanced 3 momentarily looked good, but my LBS can't get any in my size, and the 2020 one has orange decals on :'(

So it is looking more and more like the Allez Elite in this grey and yellow scheme:

Not the most inspiring option, but I really wanted to give the business to my LBS, so looking likely to be this in a 54.

The only non 105 parts are the brakes - Axis, and the chainset - Praxis Alba.

Either of those particularly bad?

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I feel your pain with the decals. I'd vever get a bike I don't like aesthetically. When are you getting your Spesh?

WARNING: no experience with Axis brakes. I wouldn't be concerned with them though. Commuting, pads will wear out quickly, and a replacement will be a tenner. Either Shimano BR55's, some coolstops, or whatever you fancy. If brakes still feel subpar, a front 105 calliper is usually around £25, and even I can install those in well under an hour. Just remember to add grease to the screw to avoid seizing.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Giant contend Rutland cycles £749 - they do cyclescheme. Tiagra/Hydro discs - I had actually ordered this last week, but then found the mudgaurds only fitted up to 25mm

I went for the ribble CGR\tiagra who also do cyclescheme - its a winter bike for me...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    daniel_b said:

I'm back on my normal account, was my fault entirely :/

I have narrowed down the search - the 2019 Giant TCR Advanced 3 momentarily looked good, but my LBS can't get any in my size, and the 2020 one has orange decals on :'(

So it is looking more and more like the Allez Elite in this grey and yellow scheme:

Not the most inspiring option, but I really wanted to give the business to my LBS, so looking likely to be this in a 54.

The only non 105 parts are the brakes - Axis, and the chainset - Praxis Alba.

Either of those particularly bad?

The allez is a great bike for commuting and/or training. I have two! One is a c2w bike, the other was bought on the crash replacement scheme last year.

The brakes aren't the best but are an easy upgrade. Praxis chainset and bb are absolutely fine.

I didn't find the stock dt swiss wheelset particularly good - quite a bit of flex when sprinting and im not the heaviest (61kg), so I changed these on both bikes. Other thing which is poor is the tyres, so that will be the first change to make.

The only other gripe I have had is with the headset bearings which seem to need replacing very quickly.

For the money the bike is brilliant. Sharp and responsive, although perhaps not as responsive as the 2016/17 models (but that's because spesh changed the geometry with the latest range), climbs well and very smooth ride. Weight isn't too bad, and does it really matter for a commuting/ training bike???
  • darrell1967
    darrell1967 Posts: 470
    edited November 2019
    I’ve got a 2017 Specialized Allez Elite. It was my first ever road bike and it was a great piece of kit that’s now even better.
    Since I’ve had it I pretty much transformed it with Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels, S Works carbon bars and seatpost, S Works alloy stem, S Works carbon saddle and I changed the Praxis callipers and chain set to match the Tiagra gears and levers. Everything was bought used off eBay and everything that came off was flogged on the same site.

It’s now my commuter bike for in and out of central London, my do to bike and anything else that’s a short distance away and apart from punctures it’s been faultless. I bought new Gatorskin Hardshells today after 2 flats in an hour!!
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2019
    Thanks guys,

apologies, missed the replies - still not at ease with how the new forum works tbh, busy at work as well, so spending less time on here in recent days.

I had my voucher approved today, think it will be with me towards the end of the month, and my lbs have ordered the bike in.

I did dither over the light blue and red 2019 one, as they had one in stock in my size, but decided to go with the 2020 grey fade one above.

Shame about the wheels, I was hoping they would be decent, and I'm a bit heavier than you (More so than ever with my current, ummmm, wniter coat.....)
    I'll see how it goes anyway, and duly noted on the tyres, I assumed they would be cr@p - they always are on stock bikes generally, well unless you're looking at a top line race bike ime.

Good to know the crankset \ bb are fine, and will see how the brakes pan out, I've no issues with changing callipers, and sometimes you can land some proper bargains.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mikebhand1600
    mikebhand1600 Posts: 1
    edited November 2019
    if you want to check this out https://www.marketing91.com/bicycle-brands/
    but it goes with high budget

or you can get the spread knowledge here bicycle
    it's a pleasure to me if can help you!

Thank you, dear
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2019
    Thanks NO, that is a good deal, AND the right size, but I'm happy to stick with the colour scheme I want and to put the business through my LBS :-)

Should be getting the voucher through early December, and hoping to tie the pick up in with an 'open evening' at the same LBS of a new cycling club that has just been set up locally.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18