Assos or else

I've got a bit of disposable income and would like a replacement for my ageing Gabba jacket (long sleeved), so something autumn/early winter with decent water resistance, but not a deluge jacket

Anything better than Assos Mille GT Winter Jacket for the same money or less?
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• anyone left on the forum?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    How about the Castelli Alpha ROS light jacket?

Amazing piece of kit for UK conditions. Decent water resistance, windproof, good for a wide range of temps depending on what base layer(s) you use.
  • Is it not too light? I have the old Alpha for very cold (5 degrees or less), I need something for 4-12 degrees for long rides, rather than short full on training sessions
  • Actually it seems the same thing as my old Alpha, so maybe a bit too heavy?
  • Oops I was looking at the wrong one... the "Light" seems a bit too light... 8-15 degrees is long sleeve jersey territory
  • mrb123
    The light ones can go a fair bit colder than that (low single figures I would say) with a decent base layer or two. Much more versatile than that full on jacket which is really only for the coldest conditions.

Not sure I'd be wearing the light jacket at 15 degrees mind. That's short sleeve jersey and shorts territory for me!
  • So basically it is a like for like with the Gabba, but with a two layer construction... certainly a contender. My only gripe with Castelli is that they don't seem to last as long as Assos. My 851 lasted 8 years, the Gabba is showing signs of age at 3. The Alpha is still very good, but that's because it gets used a lot less
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    The Castelli Alpha ROS "jersey" (or do they call it light jacket now?) is perfect for 5-12 degrees. It is long sleeved. It has a double layer on the front, first a mesh layer, then you do up the softshell. Long sleeve merino baselayer for colder conditions, mesh vest for warmer. I've had two for > 4years now, before it was the ROS in fact, so it's probably better now.

The perfetto light is a short sleeved early autumn/late spring short sleeved jersey - though I'm using mine now on warmer days with arm warmers.
  • hopkinb
    It's a lighter material than the full alpha jacket, and is a lighter material on the back for breathability.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I just bought the Castelli Nelmezzo jersey - solid bit of gear. I'm wearing it from around 3 degrees (which is was when I left home this morning) up to about 10 degrees. Really like it.
  • Definitively a strong contender... it would be nice to have some feedback on the Assos too...
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Isnt the Assos (or one of the range) not a DWR coated product but relies on the material to provide weather resistance? I'm not keen on coated materials for the fact it washes off.
  • amrushton said:

Isnt the Assos (or one of the range) not a DWR coated product but relies on the material to provide weather resistance? I'm not keen on coated materials for the fact it washes off.

I agree. My Gabba requires constant Nikwax treatments...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think for the price of the Assos I would prefer to DHB jackets. Their full protection softshell for when it's really cold - and i mean close to freezing, and their Hybrid jersey that will take you from about 12 degrees down to 3 or 4.

One jacket for a whole winter range of temps is going to be too hot or too cold at times.
  • I have the full Alpha for when it's very cold, so I need a replacement for the Gabba. I am no longer convinced on DHB quality... the last pair of shorts I bought were dreadful in quality
  • mrb123
    https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/pro-team-training-jacket/product/TRA02XXPOP

Rapha Pro Team training jacket is another to consider. Covers a similar temperature range to the Alpha light/jersey, perhaps not quite so versatile.
  • hopkinb
    Having looked it up that assos jacket is very tempting though, I must admit. Must resist purchase...

I've never treated my alpha jerseys, but if it's throwing it down in winter I have a shakedry jacket to wear over the top.
  • hopkinb said:

Having looked it up that assos jacket is very tempting though, I must admit. Must resist purchase...

... and no discounts or vouchers in sight... :(

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Might be worth holding on for a few weeks and see if there are Black Friday discounts
  • Might be worth holding on for a few weeks and see if there are Black Friday discounts

Agree, although Assos never seems to be part of any mega deal...
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Rapha Pro Team Training Jacket from their early days with Sky is my most worn garment, it's just an amazeballs. I've been super comfy for a good few years now between this, Castelli Espresso jacket and a Rapha waterproof gilet. I have Assos tights and I agree that they make more durable kit than Castelli.
  • mamil314 said:

Rapha Pro Team Training Jacket from their early days with Sky is my most worn garment, it's just an amazeballs. I've been super comfy for a good few years now between this, Castelli Espresso jacket and a Rapha waterproof gilet. I have Assos tights and I agree that they make more durable kit than Castelli.

But the clue is in the name... training jacket... high tempo... I don't do any of that... shortest ride is probably 2:30-3 hours and I am not quite sure what tempo means, but I am pretty sure I do none of that
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Castelli Transition jacket is worth consideration. You can pick one up for about £90. It has a warmer feel than the Gabba but is not a heavy winter jacket like the Alpha. Pack an Idro shake-dry in your pocket and you're sorted for almost any conditions.
  • Ugo,

Is this the one you are looking at : ?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Assos-Mille-GT-Winter-Jacket-Men-M-Blue-Badge-/273736365996

I got this exact one in XS small a few months and only just started wearing it.
    I have never owned an Assos garment before as couldn't afford to or justify the price.
    I got mine on Wiggles ebay site for an incredible bargain of £31 !!!! It was brand new with tags..

First impressions - I love it...Its very slim fit and I'm small !!!. It is very warm ...I normally overdress and always wear a gilet. With this I just have had a short sleeve light base layer on and feel very comfortable . When it gets colder will just need a heavier base layer. Water/showers just bead off - Not been in a downpour yet....

It comes with an inbuilt neck warmer/snood thing - It is permanently attached to the inside of the jacket which is weird. I have no issue wearing it as I would wear something like a buff anyway in cold weather but this may be an issue for others.

Its a quality piece if kit and I'm sure it will last a long time. I would not pay anywhere near full RRP for a jacket like this or any jacket for that matter but it does seem excellent
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 219
    Stolen Goat Climb and Conquer or Orkaan Everyday? The former is more waterproof, the latter a bit more jersey like but somewhat water resistant.

I have both and am very happy with them. I've been out in 3°c in just the C&C jacket and a Spatz thermal (and tights, obvs :-) )and been quite warm. They have a clearance section on their website which sometimes have really good reductions.

I caveat this with the fact that I've no experience of Rapha, Castelli or Assos clothing to compare it with.
  • pmannion9 said:

Ugo,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Assos-Mille-GT-Winter-Jacket-Men-M-Blue-Badge-/273736365996

I have never owned an Assos garment before as couldn't afford to or justify the price.
    I got mine on Wiggles ebay site for an incredible bargain of £31 !!!! It was brand new with tags..

First impressions - I love it...Its very slim fit and I'm small !!!. It is very warm ...I normally overdress and always wear a gilet. With this I just have had a short sleeve light base layer on and feel very comfortable . When it gets colder will just need a heavier base layer. Water/showers just bead off - Not been in a downpour yet....

It comes with an inbuilt neck warmer/snood thing - It is permanently attached to the inside of the jacket which is weird. I have no issue wearing it as I would wear something like a buff anyway in cold weather but this may be an issue for others.

Its a quality piece if kit and I'm sure it will last a long time. I would not pay anywhere near full RRP for a jacket like this or any jacket for that matter but it does seem excellent

That's the one... not sure how you managed to get it for 31 pounds, but you hit the jackpot
  • pmannion9 said:

Ugo,

That's the one... not sure how you managed to get it for 31 pounds, but you hit the jackpot
    Yeah - combination of summer timing and XS size i think...Wasn't sure it would fit either so was a bit of a gamble...
  • Unfortunately I am a medium... together with large, it's the size which is never on offer