Mytchett Woods and Tunnel Hill area

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,926
As a roadie new this mtb I'm busy finding my way around the various trails near to me in Camberley. Until I started looking I hadn't realised how many interesting opportunities were available.
Amongst the areas I've been to recently is the area around Mytchett, in particular the land between Gapemouth Road and Mytchett Place Road. I haven't ventured south of Mytchett Place Road as the Red Flags have been flying whenever I've been in that general area (I think they aren't usually up at weekends and the ranges aren't being used).
I saw some video of a lot of nice looking single track labelled as being at Mytchett Woods and I'm trying to work out exactly where they are... any ideas please.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    The MOD do not approve of anybody promoting cycling on MOD land, hence the lack of maps and general info. on riding in these areas. Have you been to Swinley forest, that is close to Camberley? As a general tip you could have a look at the Strava heat map to see what popular trails are local to you.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • dabber
    Thanks natrix. I think I've just worked it out. I looked on the Tunnel Hill Trolls strava club and some of their rides and see that there are a lot of rides to the right of the railway line that runs through the tunnel at Tunnel Hill. It start at the east end of the Old Guildford Road and runs sort of parallel to Mytchett Place Road. I've never ridden in that particular part of the Mytchett area before so I'll get over there asap. As far the MOD approval I can't really comment but I can only say that all the soldiers I've come across when riding there have been very friendly and I always try and avoid getting in their way and tend to ask them if where I'm heading is going to be a problem.

I do go to Swinley as well and I guess I'm lucky in that both the Mytchett and Swinley areas are easy cycling distance from home, as is Minley.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • dabber
    Found it today, plenty of good riding but very wet and slippery today. An altercation with a dog and its owner never helped on one of the climbs. I will return.

• natrix
    There's some great riding around your area :-)
  • dabber
    You're right natrix. Certainly enough to keep a novice mtber happy for a while. :#

• natrix
    www.gpsies.com is another useful site for routes