What's the best Panniers to use?

Hi, I'm new on here and looking for advice please.

After 7 years of umming and arhing (if they're words) I've decided to cycle JOGLE next year. I'm no "tour de france" cyclist but do enjoy going out. I plan to take in the scenery and only cycle approx. 60 miles a day. So, I'm wondering what panniers to get for my bike, I only want to take enough stuff for a week, then have a laundry day. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Can’t go wrong with Ortlieb or Carradice. Both do bigger and smaller panniers with traditional lid flaps or roll tops. My favourites are standard Ortlieb Bike Packers with lid flaps. They are 100 per cent waterproof, go on and off easily and are more convenient than roll tops as you can open and shut them more quickly and store things like wet rain jacket or towel between flap and main compartment so you don’t get your other clothes wet.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

Can’t go wrong with Ortlieb or Carradice. Both do bigger and smaller panniers with traditional lid flaps or roll tops. My favourites are standard Ortlieb Bike Packers with lid flaps. They are 100 per cent waterproof, go on and off easily and are more convenient than roll tops as you can open and shut them more quickly and store things like wet rain jacket or towel between flap and main compartment so you don’t get your other clothes wet.

Similar to this, I have some large Caradice ones which are excellent, and some fancy Ortlieb ones which are smaller and were an emergency purchase the day before a big trip. They feel more expensive and have the roll top dry bag thing but one of the pannier rack clips came off at speed and I nearly decked it. I'm not sure if they are all like that but it is spring loaded and seemed a bit too complicated for it's own good. I'm sure they are fine if you check it before hand though
  • chazzo
    chazzo Posts: 8
    Really good panniers are pretty expensive, so you might look at Altura if you don't plan to become a regular tourist. The top-of-the-line Alturas are pricy too, but I have a pair of their Tour 36 panniers (no longer available, I think) that were great value. Polythene liners needed to keep out the water, though!
  • spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Hi, buy ortlieb! if you only use them once you`ll get most of your money back on Ebay, the resale value is tremendous! plus their very very good!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Ortlieb.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    Ortlieb are by far and away the best you can buy, but are expensive. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. If you want to save a few quid Vaude do almost the same panniers.
    Whichever you choose be aware that both suffer with problems with the mounting clip to attach them to your rack.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Merlin had a sale recently (surprise!) and I treated the commuter to some Ortlieb rolltops. £65 for a Pair.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I've got Carradice, quite heavily used, good quality. Guy I tour with quite often has Ortlieb - were I buying again I'd get Ortlieb.
  • atsobo
    atsobo Posts: 2
    Ortlieb. Mine are 12 years old with thousands of miles on them and there still waterproof.