Advice on cockpit

FlyBee
FlyBee Posts: 4
edited October 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi all sorry if this has been covered before.
I'm new to mtbs and am currently updating mine.
I've started updating my drive train, I'm a bit stuck on shifters/brake levers.
My LBS advised XT shifter but it appears they are all I-Spec therefore mounting brake levers and shifter together.
I only want to fit the shifter. Ive looked around but am lost in all the different types and brackets so I started looking at changing the levers also.
The issue here is I have mechanical brakes, the levers all seem to be hydraulic.
I want to keep costs down where possible so changing shifter, levers and switching to hydraulic seems excessive.
Is there a way to bar mount I-spec A or B?
should I just look at different shifters, maybe Zee?
Thanks in advance Ian

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You can't bar mount iSpec shifters.
    However, you can use shifters that have bar mounts, like THESE. Shimano make all of their shifters in bar mount option.

What speed and model of derailleur(s) do you have on the bike?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • FlyBee
    Thanks for the reply and link
    I haven't purchased the RD yet but my target is 10 speed slx long cage with deore 11-42 cassette
  • JBA
    The link I posted was for an 11-speed shifter. It was just to show you that bar mounted shifters are available.

You could just buy a 1x10 gear kit like THIS for less than £100.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • FlyBee
    Thank you for your replies, it inspired me to search harder!
    I have found and ordered from UK sellers the following kit.
    XT shifter, SLX deraillure, Deore 11-42, HG95 chain £110 all in so very happy.

Can't wait to bolt on the new shiny bits.
  • JBA
    Make sure you fit the chain the right way round. Shimano chains are directional.

What chain set have you got on your bike?