Cav

Comments

• flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Thanks for the explanation
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    The green colour is a 6-Day thing isnt it?

(Well, teams using individually coloured jerseys in 6 Days is a thing. Obviously, they try and sync them up to team colours now cos money. I wonder what he and Iljooooo will wear in Gent given that DD White, black and green don't mesh so well with QS Blue)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Tom Cary in the Telegraph says its done deal, gets announced tomorrow (yay I was right) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/201 ... lingworth/

oh and the jersey thing, thats just Kalas did a 6 day London GB thing when it started as it coincided with them sponsoring TeamGB but they couldnt use TeamGB colours so went for "British Racing Green" instead...at least one GB team of riders has been riding it since it began, obviously Cavs has the rainbow on the sleeves though :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Looks like he has still got good top end speed, it seems to be more that he's struggling to deliver it after a few hours of racing on the road so maybe with a decent winter of training he can get back to winning ways if not his form of old.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I was at the 6 Day tonight and he was definitely on a BMC with Enve wheels.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    So with the Madison back in the Olympics is Cavendish & Doull looking like a likely GB team?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    awavey wrote:
    Tom Cary in the Telegraph says its done deal, gets announced tomorrow (yay I was right) https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/201 ... lingworth/

oh and the jersey thing, thats just Kalas did a 6 day London GB thing when it started as it coincided with them sponsoring TeamGB but they couldnt use TeamGB colours so went for "British Racing Green" instead...at least one GB team of riders has been riding it since it began, obviously Cavs has the rainbow on the sleeves though :)

Thought the Cav move was a done deal a couple of weeks ago.
  • inseine wrote:
    No apologies for another Cav photo. Love this jersey
    _109299114_cavendishgerny_getty.jpg

He is on a Cervelo because this picture is from 2017.
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/six-da ... ontention/

Similar jersey this year.

74886238_109898330283382_7862834057396483654_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com&_nc_cat=110
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    Gweeds wrote:

McLaren had a little video for it:

https://twitter.com/McLarenF1/status/11 ... 4304689154

F1 fans might think he's their new driver
  • awavey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

is it just me or should they have got one of those sportscar bike racks, like what Alex Dowsett has, and had him drive in with the bike on that car...though I suppose it gets messy with what brand of bike they are allowed to use still at this stage in adverts because of contracts etc etc missed opportunity though IMO :)
  • RichN95.
    awavey wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

is it just me or should they have got one of those sportscar bike racks, like what Alex Dowsett has, and had him drive in with the bike on that car...though I suppose it gets messy with what brand of bike they are allowed to use still at this stage in adverts because of contracts etc etc missed opportunity though IMO :)
    I don't suppose your footballer/rapper/hedge fund manager customer wants to ever see a bike rack on a McLaren F1
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Here is one on a McLaren P1.

16.jpg
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    RichN95 wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:

I don't suppose your footballer/rapper/hedge fund manager customer wants to ever see a bike rack on a McLaren F1

You won't see a hedge fund manager with a Merida. More likely to be a Pinarello.
  • RichN95.
    amrushton wrote:

You won't see a hedge fund manager with a Merida. More likely to be a Pinarello.
    Obviously. Pinarello, Rapha, Garmin and Strava. The Four Cyclists of the Apocalypse

Serious question. Are they still going to be Merida long term or are McLaren looking to launch their own top end brand?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ....I think McLaren are in this for the scientific interest rather than to make bikes.

I could be wrong by I almost feel like the road cars are an afterthought for them. It's all about the aerodynamics engineering.

I remember hearing - I think it was them - that such companies liked bikes because the engineering challenge was much bigger with bikes (and the lump of meat on top of them), everything with 4 wheels had kinda been done, there were just tiny alterations left, which no longer provided enough excitement for the nerds.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • awavey
    ddraver wrote:
    ....I think McLaren are in this for the scientific interest rather than to make bikes.

I could be wrong by I almost feel like the road cars are an afterthought for them. It's all about the aerodynamics engineering.

I remember hearing - I think it was them - that such companies liked bikes because the engineering challenge was much bigger with bikes (and the lump of meat on top of them), everything with 4 wheels had kinda been done, there were just tiny alterations left, which no longer provided enough excitement for the nerds.

well ultimately it will be their bike wont it ? McLaren have the wind tunnel,the carbon composite experience, the computational fluid dynamics software, if Merida dont take advantage of that and end up producing a decent bike or some kind of McLaren special from this, theres no hope is there.

and dont forget its the applied technologies division the one where they exploit the IP they learn from the racing car/automotive division that is linked with cycling team
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Cav's started
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    Here is one on a McLaren P1.

16.jpg
    That's a 570S. :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Cav will need a good 2 years as I can’t see him riding the 2020 TDF with the route and wanting to go to Tokyo
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    He only needs 4 more tdf stages...cant afford to skip a year, even if he only bags 1 or 2!
    Half man, Half bike
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ridgerider wrote:
    He only needs 4 more tdf stages...cant afford to skip a year, even if he only bags 1 or 2!

"only"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • awavey
    leading the 6day London event with Owain Doull, going into the 6th day, beat Viviani in the Madison in a sprint again...now theres playing to the home crowd and stuff in these things but still :)
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Not watched much track before and not really got it. stumbled onto the madison this evening, that was gripping.
    Really good to see cav getting stuck in again.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,202
    Only been able to see clips of the 6 day, but Cav looks like he's really, really enjoying it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • flite
    It's great to see Cav doing so well and making it look like fun. The racing has been exciting, and the coverage good, but such a shame the BBC can't be bothered to do a highlights show. (as with World champs - lots of live coverage, but not everybody can watch for hours)
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,315
    I'm in Tunisia atm. Any chance of a highlight video somewhere or a VOD?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • flite
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/50104484
    It has been difficult to find! I've been watching online by following the bbc link above.
    But it doesn't seem to do anything untill the coverage actually starts.
    6.00pm GMT this evening. IMHO the coverage has been good.
    Atmosphere in the velodrome looks fantastic.
    But I haven't a clue how the scoring works......
    And I haven't found any regular follow-up reports of the racing on BBC, and no highlights programme.
    Get the feeling they are showing it because they have the rights, but their heart is not in it.
    Definitely worth a watch if you can find it
  • M.R.M. wrote:
    I'm in Tunisia atm. Any chance of a highlight video somewhere or a VOD?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0071xh4/cycling