Will a new bike make me faster?

holio cornolio
holio cornolio Posts: 6
edited October 2019 in Road general
Let's get the obvious out of the way first of all, I have money burning a hole in my pocket and n+1 itches all over and I think I want to get a new bike. That's it...
So I currently ride a bike that's supposedly a fast commuter / do it all bike and I love it. Over the past few months or so I've put some work into getting a bit quicker and it's going ok. I have no mates so I only ever ride on my own and I've managed to get my time on a (mostly flat) 60km circular route that I ride down from 135 minutes down to under 2 hours. No great shakes I realise. As mentioned my current bike is supposedly first and foremost a 'fast commuter '(it's a condor fratello so it's not a sit up and beg or anything). I'd like to go faster and also I do like to head up to where there are hills every now and then and do a bit of climbing so I'm wondering if I should put the money that is currently making me itch into a decent bike with race geometry, purely in the interest of getting a bike that can give me more output for whatever input I can get. Worth the investment or should I just put my money in an ISA?
I realise that this is a very nebulous question but I've tried to crystallise it down to the bit that is most relevant to me. I do realise that primarily more effort will make me faster, but more effort doesn't look awesome hanging on the wall of my study.

Comments

• Get an aero, lightweight bike with deep rims and yes...you'll go faster. Cervelo?

You'll get loads of answers telling you to save money and do some structured training to go faster, maybe even with a coach. Technically they're spot on...but you can do both in all honesty.

Enjoy the new bike search and the new bike!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Yes. But not by very much...

If you keep your current bike and get something aero/light etc. and ride them back to back at the same power you will go faster. I've done the same loops on my winter Vs summer bike and there is a difference (for me anyway). But for steady state riding, it isn't very much - maybe 3 minutes over a 3 hour rolling loop.

The summer bike just feels nicer to ride though - much more snap when you want to sprint, much more responsive in corners. Plus, most importantly it looks better...

If you're spending money for pure speed you're likely to be disappointed; IME you get just as much extra speed from an aero helmet, jerseys etc as you will from the bike. But for a better riding experience that make you want to go out and smash it... Go for it.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    yes.

buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it. buy it now. buy it.

#buyitbuyitbuyit
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    Get one... Similar experience from super_davo re Summer v's Winter bikes not a lot in it but the Summer carbon bike just makes you feel better..
    As most will agree. If it enhances your bike riding experience Go for it ; ).
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If the goal is just a faster time get a TT bike. Or of it's very hilly get an e bike.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Any purchase which provides more smiles per mile is a great investment especially if it means you ride more

Will you go faster? Depends on how many shop fronts you cycle past admiring your reflection in the window
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • I am more worried that you " have no mates"
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    I do realise that primarily more effort will make me faster,
    There's your answer.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Find someone e.g. a club you can ride with and your speed will rise. The last post agrees with what you know. Or you could go time trialling. A new bike and a whole world of effort there.
  • It's the standard answer, if you want it, if you can afford it, buy it, you are a long time dead.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Yes.

Scott Foil was my weapon of choice.
    I don't remotely do it justice, but it's a joy to ride, bloody comfortable, and everytime I see it hanging in the dining room, it motivates me to go and ride.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Daniel B wrote:
    Yes.

I don't remotely do it justice, but it's a joy to ride, bloody comfortable, and everytime I see it hanging in the dining room, it motivates me to go and ride.

He’s got no mates, I guess you’ve got no wife? :wink:

PP
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Yes.

He’s got no mates, I guess you’ve got no wife? :wink:

PP

Lol, nope, deffo no wife, don't 'do' marriage, but do have a wonderful (understanding) gf of nearly 20 years :shock:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pilot_pete
    :D wow, understanding indeed! I’d marry her pdq if I were you!!! :wink:

PP
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Nope. Save your money and use it for a cycling holiday and train for the holiday. Much better return for your cash.
  • pilot_pete
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Nope. Save your money and use it for a cycling holiday and train for the holiday. Much better return for your cash.
    is that advice aimed at Daniel B? :mrgreen:

PP
  • Thanks all. Interesting mix of answers. Was looking at something German, either canyon or rose seem to offer value options and aero wheels are definitely on the must have section of the list. Or I may go with something from Ribble. Value is high on my agenda and I have between £3-4k to spare. A holiday isn't on the agenda but thanks for the suggestion. I can justify a day to myself at the weekend, but with 2 small kids, a cycling holiday by myself feels possibly even more selfish and self indulgent than the bike (which I can kid myself I will pass on the the young lad when he's old enough)
  • A new bike is always the answer, irrespective of the question. I bought a new bike about 15 yrs ago because I picked up a great deal on some new cycling shoes. It was obvious I needed a new bike to match the colour scheme. :D

Will it make you faster? Yes, no maybe?.

But wait till a few sales are around.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Yes, you need a new bike and you need it now.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Thanks all. Interesting mix of answers. Was looking at something German...

Thought we were still talking about wives when I started reading that :D
  • teisetrotter
    teisetrotter Posts: 342
    edited November 2019
    Why German? ....... there are some great UK brands offering value for money, not just Ribble. In the end they all go Taiwan/China for their frames, unless it is handmade, so a German bike will be zero difference to a UK firms offering.

Look at Mason, Whyte, Orro, Forme, Tifosi and so on. Personally if I was going bang for the buck, I'd get a top-end Alu' frame or a last year frame and then spend the money on components and wheels separately.

It's much more fun building your own bike by hunting down bargains and you tend to get your own unique bike with good wheels. Look at this for an example:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153557908022
    https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo-chorus-11-speed-ho-groupset-2018-71985.html
    https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-rim-brake-wheels/products/hunt-3650carbon-wide-aero-road-wheelset-1477g-36-50deep-27wide-979

Add your saddle, handlebars and stem and that's one hell of a lightweight and very, very individual bike which will stand-out from the clouds of Canyons with Shimano.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    edited November 2019

Why German? ....... there are some great UK brands offering value for money, not just Ribble. In the end they all go Taiwan/China for their frames, unless it is handmade, so a German bike will be zero difference to a UK firms offering.

Look at Mason, Whyte, Orro, Forme, Tifosi and so on. Personally if I was going bang for the buck, I'd get a top-end Alu' frame or a last year frame and then spend the money on components and wheels separately.

It's much more fun building your own bike by hunting down bargains and you tend to get your own unique bike with good wheels. Look at this for an example:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153557908022
    https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo-chorus-11-speed-ho-groupset-2018-71985.html
    https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-rim-brake-wheels/products/hunt-3650carbon-wide-aero-road-wheelset-1477g-36-50deep-27wide-979

Add your saddle, handlebars and stem and that's one hell of a lightweight and very, very individual bike which will stand-out from the clouds of Canyons with Shimano.

this. the man speaks sense, but not the Hunts. They are shytt and overpriced.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited November 2019
    Ofcourse, a new bike will make you faster.

To go really fast, get a triathlon bike. For ultimate speed, you can buy one of those recumbent bikes (or whatever they are called). You will go much faster than an UCI pro cyclist (unless you have to do a lot of climbing).

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've always felt that trying to buy performance would generally get you from 13th to 12th place in a cat 5 crit.
  • paulblair931
    paulblair931 Posts: 7
    edited November 2019
    Yes, you need a new bike.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    dennisn said:

I've always felt that trying to buy performance would generally get you from 13th to 12th place in a cat 5 crit.

Did it work for you then or did you only get from 14th to 13th. :'(
  • Its the tyres
  • As an alternative suggestion get a different type of bike to your current bike so you can widen your cycling hobby with new routes or off-road etc. Maybe an e-bike so you can use your bike more frequently or a gravel bike. Maybe you are spending too much time maintaining your bike so a low maintenance bike will give you more time, hub gears etc. Not much point in my opinion in having two road bikes that almost ride the same. A bike isn't like a car, you can't have a daily driver car and a weekend sports car in bikes so much because with bikes it is always the same engine (well unless you buy an e-bike). You don't get Ferrari's with 50cc 2 stroke engines or mobility cars with V12 engines but you pretty much get that with bikes. If you are not a competitive cyclist then the marginal gains are pointless so I personally would buy something a bit different to make cycling more interesting perhaps something like a gravel bike with disc brakes and enjoy the extra locations that will get you too.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Did he buy the bike ? And ?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    webboo said:

dennisn said:

Did it work for you then or did you only get from 14th to 13th. :'(
    I've been to a few races in my day and I've noticed that the winners are almost always the same guys that were in the hunt last week. You know, the GOOD riders. Not the ones out there buying all kinds of new and useless go faster items. It's not about the bike. It's about how well you can pedal it. Try buying that someplace.