Estate car, van or (gasp) SUV?

2»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Never had any parking issues with my van:

ford_14grdtourneoconnectitmmv2b_lowaggressive_blazer-blue-gloss.png?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&fit=clip&ixlib=rb-1.1.0&q=60&w=1125

Well under the usual 2m height restrictions.
    And it's shorter and narrower than an audi q7.
    Plus sliding rear doors are a total boon if you have children.

This is the rear of a standard 7 seater with all dropped.
    5166.jpg

I've removed the rear most two (stashed them in the loft) to gain extra height for bikes.
    Trips down to the new forest for example, are now a breeze.
    imo, gives way more practicality than an smax or galaxy (same year), but for a chunk less money.

Used to own a towbar 4 bike thule rack, and yes it was excellent, but it weighed a ton, and was not a minor undertaking to get down from the garage roof and mount on the vehicle - storage space for it needs to be substantial, plus I always hated my best bikes being out in the open air when it's p1ssing down with rain :evil:

Before getting this, I was fairly set on getting a skoda superb estate, but started looking at vans.
    Hired a wav vivaro, but that was deemed too vanlike by my gf, so posted on here, and a kind soul posted up about the grand tourneo which I was oblivious too.

Couple of test drives, found the right spec and colour with low miles (11500) about 120 miles away, stuck a £100 deposit down over the phone, viewed it and test drove it, and they delivered it the following week.

Took it down through France and Italy this summer, fully loaded with bikes, camping gear, plus a load of my brothers stuff (2 of his bikes) to take to him in Italy.
    Super comfy, didn't miss a beat. Roof box did zap fuel economy a bit admittedly
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,625
    Smaller than a Q7? So that's right down in Hummer territory then?
  • Keep the L200, nothing wrong with it? Meets your needs? Cheaper than buying something else?
    The cost/environmental impact of getting another vehicle is huge, running an existing vehicle into the ground is a far better use of resources than constantly renewing.
    Things that have already been built are carbon neutral, buy an old house, second hand car, etc. If you really are worried about the environment.
    If you just want to feel better? Buy something that makes you happy and don't worry about the long term consequences.
  • First.Aspect
    Keep the L200, nothing wrong with it? Meets your needs? Cheaper than buying something else?
    The cost/environmental impact of getting another vehicle is huge, running an existing vehicle into the ground is a far better use of resources than constantly renewing.
    Things that have already been built are carbon neutral, buy an old house, second hand car, etc. If you really are worried about the environment.
    If you just want to feel better? Buy something that makes you happy and don't worry about the long term consequences.
    If you are going to be sanctimonious... god I don't know where to start. Avoid having children. That's a start. Children are not carbon neutral.
  • Keep the L200, nothing wrong with it? Meets your needs? Cheaper than buying something else?
    If you are going to be sanctimonious... god I don't know where to start. Avoid having children. That's a start. Children are not carbon neutral.

And the nappys are not dolphin friendly you have a well trained nanny. Children are the devils work
  • I am replying to the OP's question.
    I am not trying to be sanctimonious, if you read the line above the one you have highlighted then you should understand my point.
    You are right about children though, the best single use plastics are condoms.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I’ve an estate but sometimes wish I had one of those estates that are a bit raised like an Audi all road, I was grounding mine on a (very) rough road (Well, sort of road) at the weekend. But I find the boot in SUVs tends to be quite small relatively.

i tend to ground THE MIGHTY HONDA on loads of tracks when bombing around here but don't really care as its only a Honda, although it is MIGHTY

You need a Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension sir!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I’ve an estate but sometimes wish I had one of those estates that are a bit raised like an Audi all road, I was grounding mine on a (very) rough road (Well, sort of road) at the weekend. But I find the boot in SUVs tends to be quite small relatively.

i tend to ground THE MIGHTY HONDA on loads of tracks when bombing around here but don't really care as its only a Honda, although it is MIGHTY

You need a Citroen with hydropneumatic suspension sir!

ooooh yes please. sooooo cool.

or a 2CV with Alizee driving off to collect a fresh batch of lab coats.

now you're parleying.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Keep the L200, nothing wrong with it? Meets your needs? Cheaper than buying something else?

Yes, tell them to bugger off.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Robert88 wrote:

Yes, tell them to bugger off.

Can confirm children are killing this beautiful planet. Had mine over on Thursday with their partners and they switched on every light, plugged in their phones and gadgets. I reckon they racked up a months electricity usage in one night.

Btw. Estates are just so useful. Nice to be able to sit on tailgate and take my walking boots off. Not so sure about putting more than one bike in it though.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Not so sure about putting more than one bike in it though.
    Best suggestion I read was wheels off, vertical and held by cargo nets. Use padding if required.
    Not tried it yet but seems feasible.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Best suggestion I read was wheels off, vertical and held by cargo nets. Use padding if required.
    Front wheels off, bikes on top of each other nose to tail. Dust sheet in between. Used to do it all the time in a big hatch back I owned in Canada (i.e. North American bloated car about the size of an estate here).
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Vertical is the way to go imo.

Used to do this in both my Primera and most recently Volvo V70 estate.
    Front wheels off only, seat post / saddle removed, and it fitted it both of mine.
    Lashed the rear wheel to the rear grab handle.
    Either lash bike 2 to bike 1 (pipe lagging fitted accordingly) or if no rear seat passengers, one either side, luggage down the middle.
    Front wheels I was able to tuck inside the bike if that makes sense.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Thanks all for inputs. Confirms my original thinking that estate is the way to go. Task for winter evenings to trawl the reviews and Autotrader for likely candidate. I had my old Saab estate for 13 years until it died, really liked it, combination of load carrying capacity with performance.

The L200 is a serviceable workhorse but as I reduce my working days have less need of its benefits. Plus for example not useful for the twice yearly Belgian trips, lumbering plus high fuel consumption, and no I am not leaving my crates of Belgian beers on a open backed pickup. The locals would be fine, it's the Brit tourists I'd worry about :roll: