Saddle causing numbness on rollers

prcody
prcody Posts: 67
Looking for help as I seem to be only able to cycle 10km on my rollers at a time before my privates (I'm a man) go numb. I have tried two different saddles in the recent past as I have a Fizik Aliante on my road bike and a Focus own brand saddle from my CX bike very similar to the Arione in shape.

I have tried wearing bib shorts, boxers and lycra unpadded shorts and the same lycra unpadded shorts on their own with the same result all the time. I dont have any issue when I am out on the road with numbness and have tried to move on the saddle as much as possible on the rollers to remove the pressure points though I never feel any pressure points.

When I had a very basic turbo trainer from Aldi I never had these problems its solely with the rollers it seems.

Has anyone had the same issues in the past and what have they dont to solve it? Im thinking a saddle with a cutout solely for use on the rollers as my only option.

Comments

• Just to be clear, you’re using the same cycle, the same saddle in the same position on a pair of rollers (both wheels), correct?
    Strange if this is the case. Have you tried with your hands in the drops or just on the tops? This may help identify the problem. The only thing that springs to mind is the rollers are a lot smoother than the road so you don’t move (unintentionally) around so much on the rollers as you would on a bumpy road. Plus the give ways, stops at lights, zebra crossings etc. are not present, so you actually spend more time sitting in one position even though you say you try to move around.
    You can try tilting the saddle nose down, but if you go too far you’ll slide forwards. Sometimes tilting the saddle nose up helps, I know it sounds wrong but you may then sit at the back of the saddle on your ‘sit-bones’. A little adjustment can make quite a lot of difference. But only adjust one thing at a time.
    If none of this works you could try a cut-out saddle, see if your LBS will loan you one to try.
  • prcody
    Charlie, I am using the same bike with both wheels on the rollers. I have now used two different saddles and both have different angle levels on them maybe only a few degrees but there is a difference. I do move around the hoods/bars onto the drops and its always the same area that experiences numbness. I try and move about in the saddle as much as possible without making myself unstable and do sit higher on the sit bones as well to try limit the numbness but no success.

I will try my local LBS and see if he has a saddle I can try as it maybe the only option.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Make sure you ride out of the saddle every few minutes ?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Had the same on the turbo. Getting out of the saddle every 10 minutes or so was what sorted it for me. First time it happened was scary to say the least.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Never happened to me until I did a track session at the Velodrome. So an hour or more sitting down.

Thought I might sue them, but I realised it wouldn't stand up in court.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Fenix wrote:
    Never happened to me until I did a track session at the Velodrome. So an hour or more sitting down.

Thought I might sue them, but I realised it wouldn't stand up in court.
    Ba doom, and, tish!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    prcody wrote:
    Looking for help as I seem to be only able to cycle 10km on my rollers at a time before my privates (I'm a man) go numb. I have tried two different saddles in the recent past as I have a Fizik Aliante on my road bike and a Focus own brand saddle from my CX bike very similar to the Arione in shape.

I have tried wearing bib shorts, boxers and lycra unpadded shorts and the same lycra unpadded shorts on their own with the same result all the time. I dont have any issue when I am out on the road with numbness and have tried to move on the saddle as much as possible on the rollers to remove the pressure points though I never feel any pressure points.

When I had a very basic turbo trainer from Aldi I never had these problems its solely with the rollers it seems.

Has anyone had the same issues in the past and what have they dont to solve it? Im thinking a saddle with a cutout solely for use on the rollers as my only option.

Unless you're getting out of the saddle, your backside is going to suffer. On the road or the turbo, you have the option to stand on the pedals more regularly, albeit you can also stand on the rollers if you're good enough. Personally I'm not, so restrict my roller sessions to under an hour.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • prcody
    Philty, the issues is I go numb at about 10km every time so its cycle 10km then stop and stand up and then go again. I cant seem to be able to stand up and cycle as the pedal stroke changes in the upright and throws my balance off. It doesnt help that I cycle in the workshop surrounded by table saws and tool so falling is a huge concern. I move about as muh as possible in the saddle but it doesn't help.

Im going to try a pair of bibs tonight that will hold everything more in place and if no joy with that then a cutout saddle. If no luck with either of them its convincing my wife I need a direct drive trainer where I can safely get out of the saddle.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    It would be worth checking that your rollers are perfectly round, and that your wheels/tyres are perfectly round as well. Even slight “ bumps” set up a rapid up/down vibration that could be your issue perhaps.
  • StillGoing
    prcody wrote:
    Philty, the issues is I go numb at about 10km every time so its cycle 10km then stop and stand up and then go again. I cant seem to be able to stand up and cycle as the pedal stroke changes in the upright and throws my balance off. It doesnt help that I cycle in the workshop surrounded by table saws and tool so falling is a huge concern. I move about as muh as possible in the saddle but it doesn't help.

Im going to try a pair of bibs tonight that will hold everything more in place and if no joy with that then a cutout saddle. If no luck with either of them its convincing my wife I need a direct drive trainer where I can safely get out of the saddle.

Invest in a front wheel brace if you're using TACX rollers. That'll allow you to stand, but it will spoil the roller effect for core strength. I have Elite rollers and don't think they do such a thing. If I want to practice standing or no hands, I do it in trainers not clipped in. One bad fall off the rollers into something was enough for me to know I don't want to do it again.
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    Hi,

I've had this same problem with rollers for quite a while, I don't have a turbo, have always used rollers inside, now with a power meter on bike also so I can properly follow workouts. Max I do per session is 90 mins, although more typical is 60 minutes. If I didn't move during the session it gets "concerning" after 20 minutes, I have to shuffle around, making sure the sit bones are engaged (trainerroad workouts can be good for this as they prompt you every now and again to stay focussed, re-engage sit bones etc). It generally tends to work well if you follow a workout, I use trainerroad, and time any standing time with a recovery valley, 20-30 secs out of the saddle every 10 mins is enough for me to see out a long session. You can't do sprints on rollers of course, but with practice you can sustain reasonably high power out of the saddle without the bike bouncing off the rollers.

I've changed saddles a few times, had a bike fit, no problems out on the road. The chap who did my bike fit said out on the road you have wind resistance propping you up that may just be enough to relief pressure, whereas indoors on the rollers this effect is not present.

I also think being on the rollers I am more tense, which may contribute, as basically you have a few inches to keep the bike tracking or you fly off ...
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I have the tacx front wheel brace but have recently taken it off. Im really enjoying the rollers but struggling to go any more than half an hour I get uncomfortable and Im too scared to stand up - anyone got any tips for riding out of the saddle on rollers? Dont have a doorway handy but have a wall on left hand side that I lean on to get going. Thanks
  • cld531c wrote:
    I have the tacx front wheel brace but have recently taken it off. Im really enjoying the rollers but struggling to go any more than half an hour I get uncomfortable and Im too scared to stand up - anyone got any tips for riding out of the saddle on rollers? Dont have a doorway handy but have a wall on left hand side that I lean on to get going. Thanks

Decent speed, head up, don't rock the bike like you're sprinting etc. Practice drinking from a bottle, moving hand position, one handed etc first if you're more comfortable in doing them, then work your way up.

Main thing for me was to look ahead - if you're looking down you'll overcorrect.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Poptart242 wrote:
    cld531c wrote:

Decent speed, head up, don't rock the bike like you're sprinting etc. Practice drinking from a bottle, moving hand position, one handed etc first if you're more comfortable in doing them, then work your way up.

Main thing for me was to look ahead - if you're looking down you'll overcorrect.

Cheers
    OK one handed (even managed a little dance to Queen last week whilst riding!!!), next step is trying to drink then will look forward and try to stand up. :-)
  • StillGoing
    Poptart242 wrote:
    cld531c wrote:

I went by first being able to move the hands from the hoods, to the tops, to the drops, to the hoods etc. Then taking a drink (my bottle cages are tight so have the bottle on a shelf), grabbing a towel to wipe the sweat away, no handed against a wall.

https://youtu.be/PEYHzdd74x8

https://youtu.be/VrzkOYTsczk
  • hostman
    hostman Posts: 104
    cld531c wrote:

Shift in to a harder gear when standing on rollers, for me this is being in smallest sprocket at the back if in the little ring at the front, or midway through the rear block if in the big ring. Expect your cadence to be 20-30 rpm lower than seated. Try not to lean forward too much, keep weight on the pedals, your pedalling motion needs to be smooth while standing, as you only have 4-5 inches to keep the wheels, minimal left to right motion. Work up to something like 2 minutes out of the saddle, will take some time, aim for 30 secs initially, build from there.

You could also do some low cadence drills while seated, see if you can stay on the bike seated doing 40 rpm with minimal resistance :)
  • prcody
    I changed my saddle to one with a cutout and it made a world of difference. I've now bought a direct drive trainer so won't expect the same pain as I can get out of the saddle a lot easier and safer.
  • prcody said:

I changed my saddle to one with a cutout and it made a world of difference. I've now bought a direct drive trainer so won't expect the same pain as I can get out of the saddle a lot easier and safer.

Let us know how you get on with the trainer. Also if you can, use the saddle on the rollers to see if the problem has at least been reduced. Be interested to know
  • prcody
    I've used the saddle on the rollers and it was way more comfortable. The trainer should be even better as it's very easy to stand up on it compared to my confidence of getting out of the saddle on the rollers.