Favourite Music Quotes (for a Wall)

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
I've just repossessed my man cave/ home cinema / music room. :D

Both my kids are now grown up and no longer use it for the x-box/ playstation that it's been used for for the last 15 years, so I've cleared it out and redecorated. I've also built two 10 foot long single span shelves in an alcove to hold albums (remember them ?), CD's and books amongst other things. Both these shelves are 5 inches thick and have a flat front and as they're directly opposite the main sofa, I think they're crying out for music quotes or lyrics to be written across them.

I'm putting together a short list of quotes and lyrics, anybody want to throw any out there ? I don't want anything too 'fluffy' or deep. I'd prefer something more humorous. I'm trying to decide between these at the moment:

If music be the food of love, play on (Shakespeare)
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind... (Duke Ellington)

But I think that I'm leaning more to something that's more 'rockgod' related :

I won't be a rockstar. I will be a legend. (F Mercury).
I always knew I was a star. Now the rest of the world seems to agree with me. (F.Mercury)
“When I was a little boy, I told my dad, ‘When I grow up, I want to be a musician.’ My dad said: ‘You can’t do both, Son’.” Chet Atkins
'I don't want to be perfect. I just want to be badass' Dave Grohl.
'If you think you are too old to rock & roll. You are'. Lemmy
'This amp goes up to 11'. Nigel Tufnel

Or maybe a few lyrics.

'Let the music be your master' or 'To be a rock, and not to roll' (or really any section of any Led Zep song)
..I see a little silhouetto of a man.... (Queen)

Does anybody have any favourite quotes/ lyrics they wish to "donate" for consideration ?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    “ All over people their changing votes along with their overcoats. If Adolf Hitler flew in today they’d send a limousine away”
    The Clash. White man in Hammersmith Palais.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Not strictly a music quote but from an album by Extreme based on the quote by film producer Robert Evans:

'There's three sides to every story - yours, mine and the truth' something that often springs to mind when I read threads on this forum (the full quote adds 'And no one is lying. Memories shared serve each differently' but I prefer the shortened version!).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Oh, and I always liked the conversation in Blues Brothers

Elwood:
    What kind of music do you usually have here?

Claire:
    Oh, we got both kinds. We got country *and* western.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Webboo wrote:
    “ All over people their changing votes along with their overcoats. If Adolf Hitler flew in today they’d send a limousine away”
    The Clash. White man in Hammersmith Palais.

Not quite.

All over people changing their votes
    Along with their overcoats
    If Adolf Hitler flew in today
    They'd send a limousine anyway

How about "Libraries gave us power" from Manic Street Preachers 'A Design For Life' under your book section?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Too much here to stick it all on a wall but some good lines you could choose from 'Time@ by Pink Floyd:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
    Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
    Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
    Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
    You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
    No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
    The time is gone, the song is over,
    Thought I'd something more to say.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    If it was for my music room, I'd have this for under the vinyl shelf:
    "I can feel the earth begin to move, I hear my needle hit the groove, And spiral through another day..." - Stone Roses, she bangs the drum.
    But unless you like the song, it's probably not going to work.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    "No one here gets out alive" - Jim Morrison
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Thanks everyone, a few good ones in there. Keep them coming.

I like the Pink Floyd lines, I suppose as a band they fall into the Led Zep category that you could take almost any line from any song.

I also like The Stone Roses quote (and being a native Manc...). Quite appropriate being next to a turntable.

I've started to think about maybe painting them both in blackboard paint and getting some liquid chalk markers so I can change it regularly, especially when I realised that you can get or make blackboard paint in any colour.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    When you ain't got nothin, you've got nothin to lose.

Bob Dylan
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Shortfall wrote:

Bob Dylan
    Better:
    I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    bompington wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

Bob Dylan
    Better:
    I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left
    :D
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    It's better to burn out than to fade away.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    "And why can't we all just get along?
    We're all different notes, but we're in the same song"

Life Sucks.... let's dance - Reel Big Fish

not the best song but i really like that quote
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Jazz is the last refuge of the untalented. Jazz musicians enjoy themselves more than anyone listening to them does - Anthony H Wilson

You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favour. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were real fu*kin' high on drugs. The Beatles were so fu*kin' high they let Ringo sing a few tunes - Bill Hicks

They say rock and roll is the Devil's music. Well, let's say that it is...I've got news for ya...let's say that rock and roll is the Devil's music and we know it for a fact to be absolutely unequivocally true... boy, at least he fu*kin' jams! - Bill Hicks
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    “ His gut was so large it cast a shadow over rock and roll.
    Jonny Rotten on being informed about the death of Elvis Presley.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    girls have balls, they’re just higher up, that’s all. Joan Jett

I’m not God but if I were God, ¾ of you would be girls, and the rest would be pizza and beer.” Axl Rose of Guns n Roses
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond

(Turntable related quote)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I've been to the year 3000,, Not much has changed, but they live underwater - Busted.

I don't want to see a ghost/It's the sight that I fear most/I'd rather have a piece of toast - Des'ree.

Oh, you want good lyrics.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    All of your friends are c***s, your mother is a ballpoint pen thief - Gareth Brown Says by McLusky
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then..... Bob Seger - Against the wind
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Rage Against the Machine - you know the lyrics we mean.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Four chords and the truth!
  • I do coke / so i can work harder / so i can earn more / so i can do more coke
  • Picture this / I'm a bag of dicks / Put me to your lips
    I don't work for free / I am barely giving a fuck away
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

“The only truth is music.” ― Jack Kerouac

“Where words fail, music speaks.” ― Hans Christian Andersen

“No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious & charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful.” ― Kurt Vonnegut

https://www.cmuse.org/100-famous-and-in ... ic-quotes/
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    I'm gonna find myself a girl, Who can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors, In each other's paint-by-number dreams

'The Pretender' by Jackson Browne
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I'm sick and tired of people saying that we put out 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we've put out 12 albums that sound exactly the same. - Angus Young

There are all sorts of cute puppy dogs, but it doesn't stop people from going out and buying Dobermans. - Angus Young

That was a great time, the summer of '71 - I can't remember it, but I'll never forget it! - Lemmy

I like girls. That’s the only reason I’m in the music business – I discovered you could get women to take their clothes off if you had a guitar. And they come off a lot faster if you can play it. - Lemmy

The only way you can get good, unless you're a genius, is to copy. That's the best thing. Just steal.
    - Ritchie Blackmore

I was so happy every morning when I woke up that I was pi**ing smiley faces. - Nikki Sixx

It would be too much for me to deal with to be sitting up there next to God, Bon Scott, Sid Vicious, and Jimi Hendrix, and hear somebody read my obituary from below: NIKKI SIXX DIED TODAY...F***ING GOLFING - Nikki Sixx
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I do coke / so i can work harder / so i can earn more / so i can do more coke

Kill the noise fan?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Mr Goo wrote:
    I was so happy every morning when I woke up that I was pi**ing smiley faces. - Nikki Sixx

It would be too much for me to deal with to be sitting up there next to God, Bon Scott, Sid Vicious, and Jimi Hendrix, and hear somebody read my obituary from below: NIKKI SIXX DIED TODAY...F***ING GOLFING - Nikki Sixx

Were they from the real Nikki Sixx or the other one?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.