Thread to tell everyone what bargains you've spotted!

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Keeping my eyes open for deals on power meters, now I have one on my club ride bike I'd also like one on the winter bike
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited October 2019
    itboffin wrote:
    Keeping my eyes open for deals on power meters, now I have one on my club ride bike I'd also like one on the winter bike

Someone on here mentioned the Avio.
    Localish to you as well, about as cheap as it gets, unless a 4iiiiiiii offer somes up in the correct arm length / groupset at the likes of pbk.

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-power-meters/avio-powersense-power-meter/12083185.html

Fitting kit:
    https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-power-meters/avio-powersense-home-fitting-kit/12083186.html

Plus tcb of course.

I too, am addicted to power figures.

According to a random thread I just found, last November they had a black friday deal of meter plus it being 'factory' fitted for £149, no guarantee that would be repeated, but if it was I would take a punt.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    I can't be arsed gluing it to my cranks that to me smells of FAIL it'll have to be factory fitted or pedal based
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:
    I can't be arsed gluing it to my cranks that to me smells of FAIL it'll have to be factory fitted or pedal based

They provide a factory fit option, for £249 by the looks of it.
    It's this that was on for £149 last year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin wrote:

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-po ... 73315.html £260
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    itboffin wrote:

MVC10 lops £25 off that too, so £235, and another couple % through tcb takes it down to near 230.

Was tempted by the 6800 version (big discount again), but no 175 in stock.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    Daniel B wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

MVC10 lops £25 off that too, so £235, and another couple % through tcb takes it down to near 230.

ha i should have looked at MVC seeing as they're one of my customers :roll: :lol:

I think i'm going to upgrade the club bike and trickle down my 4iiii mixing 105 5700 with 5800, i really think having power on my winter bike could very well be more useful than on the club bike for training, winter rides tend to be on a heavy steel bike fully laden and usually even worse weather, it'll be nice to know i'm pushing +400W but going <15 mph like Monday's ride.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    itboffin wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

ha i should have looked at MVC seeing as they're one of my customers :roll: :lol:

I think i'm going to upgrade the club bike and trickle down my 4iiii mixing 105 5700 with 5800, i really think having power on my winter bike could very well be more useful than on the club bike for training, winter rides tend to be on a heavy steel bike fully laden and usually even worse weather, it'll be nice to know i'm pushing +400W but going <15 mph like Monday's ride.
    NGEco with FSA Gossamer chainset - https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ng ... crank-set/

This is the second winter on mine and haven't had any issues at all.

Works with regular shimano bottom brackets. Easy to swap between bikes if you want to.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Is there any point with a powermeter on a club ride ? You're riding at the pace of the club. I remember when one of our ex members who had turned pro came back for a club ride at Christmas with his SRM powermeter. It showed just how little effort was needed - I think most of the ride he wasn't putting out any meaningful power - just tapping through. Then again he was massively strong.

Love my powermeter but it's almost exclusively used on the turbo.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:
    Is there any point with a powermeter on a club ride ?
    Not if you're exclusively in formation - no ...

I guess if you're released for the hills or have the occaisional sprint for the sign then it may be interesting - but club runs are not (supposed to be) part of your structured training - although many use it as such.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Fenix wrote:
    Is there any point with a powermeter on a club ride ? You're riding at the pace of the club. I remember when one of our ex members who had turned pro came back for a club ride at Christmas with his SRM powermeter. It showed just how little effort was needed - I think most of the ride he wasn't putting out any meaningful power - just tapping through. Then again he was massively strong.

Depends how you want to use it.
    - If you want to use it to help you ride at a specific power, or within a specific power range, no.
    - If you want to use it to help you understand how hard you're working during a club ride, possibly.
    - If you want to use it to evaluate the overall effort sustained during, or fatigue induced by a club ride (eg TSS), yes. This is especially the case if combined with power data from all your other rides; for instance if you're using a metric like TSB to help understand your form, you really want to collect power data from all rides.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Fenix wrote:

I broadly agree with you and personally, a power meter is low on my list of things to buy for the bike.
    However, it could be useful for hills as that's when group riding usually falls apart and it's a case of getting up the thing as quickly as possible.
    Likewise, midweek evening chaingangs which are ridden at a bigger effort (although not for your pro mate!) and may give more useful data. God knows when I do them I'm basically going at 100% effort but I know that I'm not as fit as I could be.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Power > everything.

I have started to ride without my HRM recently and don’t really care about not having that data. However, riding without power just isn’t comprehendible to me now.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • itboffin
    Fenix wrote:

As far as i can tell zero point at all apart from looking at the data afterwards and saying to myself oh that's why i felt like this :oops: whole time.

We have two groups pace & ride, pace being anything but, more like 2-3 hours of max efforts until you pop, at times even taking a drink or attempting to eat can be a mammoth task - PM is for post ride analysis.

The ride group is hard but allows enough time to measure your turns which is where the meter is really useful, a good example is the A4 slope near Cherhill white horse, 30-60 max efforts as a group and you can maintain as reasonable average into the ever present headwinds.

I want one on the winter bike so better measure my efforts outside the same way as i can on the turbo, speed and HR are not good indicators for me at least.
  • itboffin
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Power > everything.

I have started to ride without my HRM recently and don’t really care about not having that data. However, riding without power just isn’t comprehendible to me now.

Totally agree, i never thought it would because i'm a very average abilities rider even when in the best of shape but the PM has helped me understand where i am in terms of fitness and more importantly how my day to day job is impacting me physically and not just tiredness.

Aside from the turbo i've stopped wearing a HRM for cycling as my resting and max HR are and have always been extremely high, mind you my HR has proven again and again to be the best early warning sign of illness.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Gopro hero 7 black reduced just about everywhere due to the hero 8 launch.

The 7 has incredible video stabilisation and is a brilliant camera.

Halfords have it for £281 - use BC discount and that comes down to just over £250.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reId=10001

Also, Garmin varia rtl510 widely available for £130 (including halfords, so again eligible for an extra 10% off with BC membership). A new model of this rear light is coming soon, hence why this is reduced, but it is still a brilliant bit of kit.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    redvision wrote:
    A new model of this rear light is coming soon, hence why this is reduced, but it is still a brilliant bit of kit.

Agreed. Any inkling of the changes in the forthcoming replacement?
  • slowbike
    Madison waterproof jacket for £40 ..

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/madison_sp ... tober+2019
  • slowbike
    Madison waterproof jacket for £40 ..

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/madison_sp ... tober+2019
  • samiam
    samiam Posts: 227
    The shakedry jacket has been a massive success, cheers chaps.

Question- I'm a beginner cyclist (road bike 700x25 clincher) doing approx 5k miles a year (commute 5d/w + 1 long ride sundays approx 200km a week). Ultrasport 2's TWI almost invisible. Any recommendations for what to replace them with? Bargains always good. Tried gator skins before on old bike which I hated (did about 1k miles on them) ..
  • samiam wrote:

Question- I'm a beginner cyclist (road bike 700x25 clincher) doing approx 5k miles a year (commute 5d/w + 1 long ride sundays approx 200km a week). Ultrasport 2's TWI almost invisible. Any recommendations for what to replace them with? Bargains always good. Tried gator skins before on old bike which I hated (did about 1k miles on them) ..
    Can’t go wrong with Rubino Pro:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubin ... cher-tyre/

Cheap, tough, fast.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Pactimo sale on, 31% off everything with code on the site.
  • Very good winter bike, for a smidge over £1k
    https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale- ... e-EV338186
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    samiam wrote:

Can’t go wrong with Rubino Pro:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-rubin ... cher-tyre/

Cheap, tough, fast.

Just fitted these on the winter bike to replace a set of GP4S which were disintegrating. Think I got mine on sale for a tenner each!
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    £14.99.
    Have brought a second pair!

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/clothing ... ack_466339
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    david7m wrote:
    £14.99.

Almost ordered an XXXL, then read "Italian sizing", and thought i'd best read the sizing guide.

Flipping heck, 3X's, and targeted at a 38" -40" waist and about 195cm tall.
    Where's that Silly commuter weight loss thread again?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    david7m wrote:
    £14.99.

Almost ordered an XXXL, then read "Italian sizing", and thought i'd best read the sizing guide.

I've met plenty of Italians who would laugh at that sizing as much as you or I.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    david7m wrote:
    £14.99.

I'm 82kg, 4 foot 22, 34 waist and large is perfect.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Boardman jackets for £10 at Halfords.
    Not having any I make no claims on quality.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    popped into the Rapha store yesterday to take a look at there range of shakedry jackets, its looks like its made from bin liners all be it very expensive ones