Saddle advice

50x11
50x11 Posts: 408
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
I've recently got back on my bike after regaining quite bit of fitness. I've currently got my trusty winter bike that I love, had it for a long long time.

It's got my trusty Fizik Arione on it, which has been my choice of saddle for a long time. My issue is I can only do one proper road ride a week, and the Arione is solid. I'm not getting numbing pain just contact.

So my question is is there a padded version, or another brand that is similar to the Arione, that might make it a bit softer on the undercarriage.

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Saddle selection is not something that anyone else can readily help with really, it's such a personal choice. That won't stop you getting loads of recommendations on here though...
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Thanks for the reply.

I know the Arione works for me, I'm just exploring options as I'm not sure I'll get to ride enough for down there to be used to it.

So don't want any recommendations of things that aren't that shape
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,730
    The other side of that coin is shorts.
    Sure you have the best ones for you to match the saddle? Just eliminating all else...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    the standard/older design ariones with the suede centre/ plastic base are more padded than the newer R0-R5 versions. I find all of the above to be best with a degree or 2 down at the front from horizontal. That can make a huge difference, as can saddle height.... and then the shorts. Everything has to work together to suit you anatomy and riding style.
    Colnago Addict!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Measuring sit bones is a good start as a saddle that is too narrow will cut you in half. After that look at bike setup and how your weight is distributed on the bike. Having the saddle too high will be uncomfortable as is having too much reach or drop to the bars. A good guide to what’s best is listening to any pain or strains your body gets to indicate what you need to do.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I've always found that my rear end will adapt to the saddle I have, but it takes a little while. I have Fizik Antares on all my bikes now, and with a decent pad in the shorts they are fine. Horses for courses though isn't it - or rather @rses for courses.