• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    A fraction provides absolute accuracy

Only in a few universes.
  • Ones all you need
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    A fraction provides absolute accuracy

On paper maybe. In the physical world there are always limits to the degree of accuracy achievable. If you can only measure an object to the nearest ten thousandth of an inch, there is no way to know if you have exactly divided it in thirds or, say, 333331/100000, 333334/100000 and 333335/100000.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    rjsterry wrote:

Surely you need to specify a degree of accuracy, since absolute accuracy is physically impossible.

I don't think you understand maths or perhaps mathematicians - it is not a pursuit of what is physically possible.

For example, take sin (pi/3)=sqrt(3)/2. Other than writing it properly, that is a final answer to a mathematician, no further simplification or calculation is required.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Surely you need to specify a degree of accuracy, since absolute accuracy is physically impossible.

I don't think you understand maths or perhaps mathematicians - it is not a pursuit of what is physically possible.

For example, take sin (pi/3)=sqrt(3)/2. Other than writing it properly, that is a final answer to a mathematician, no further simplification or calculation is required.

No, I get that. The key word was physically. We started off talking about units of length, but the same applies to any physical property.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    people who say "about to pull the trigger" when buying something on the internet.

jog on. its not a trigger its a button on your telephone/mouse. and you push it. and you don't pull a trigger anyway.

pain cave man shed trigger pulling wankers.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    estate agents.

wankers.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Danny Dyer. Show biz cockneys in general. I think I preferred Dick Van Dyke.

(Saying this as a Lahnderer, innit.)
  • Matthewfalle
    careers magazines where people in wanky administration jobs in different firms all say "no two days are the same".

bollox. you work in admin. every day is the same.

administration wankers

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Saw that Tyson Fury and Robin Williams were to collaborate. My heart soared at the prospect of the gurning chimp from SoT getting a good pasting only to find out they were to release a record. Pah!!

https://news.sky.com/story/robbie-willi ... m-11838666
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,216
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Saw that Tyson Fury and Robin Williams were to collaborate. My heart soared at the prospect of the gurning chimp from SoT getting a good pasting only to find out they were to release a record. Pah!!

Assume you mean Robbie, don't think Robin Williams is in a fit state for collaborations unfortunately.
  • ballysmate
    Pross wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Assume you mean Robbie, don't think Robin Williams is in a fit state for collaborations unfortunately.

Yup. My bad. :oops:
  • Matthewfalle
    Pross wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

i must admit that i saw that as well and was quite shocked as I never really saw TF as a clairvoyant/witty raconteur, but hey, everyone has a hidden talent.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Pross wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

i must admit that i saw that as well and was quite shocked as I never really saw TF as a clairvoyant/witty raconteur, but hey, everyone has a hidden talent.

My wife could contact him, she's a medium now.
    :lol:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    Cowsham wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

When I saw that in the other thread I initially thought you meant dress size :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    Is Cowsham still a bastard?
  • ballysmate
    The whole Harry and Megan saga.
    If you don't want the gig, fcuk off then.
    Oh and you could at least pay some of the public funds back for your house renovations before you go.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Oh and you could at least pay some of the public funds back for your house renovations before you go.
    Best consider the exit strategy very carefully first though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I rather think they'd quite like to .... fcuk off that is ... but the problem is - they are who they are and you cannot change that.
    What annoys me is the way the press sensationalize them and analyse everything they do. Just leave them alone. Report on major events and whatever THEY want published (assuming its news worthy) ... we don't need to know every time they breathed in/out. We don't need to know the content of a private letter written. We don't need to know every time they have a disagreement either between themselves or with their family - it's normal.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Ballysmate wrote:

Absolutely. We should stop giving the Royals any public money and just let them keep the income from the Crown Estate, thereby reversing the deal struck in 1697.

Oh, wait...
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • The way I see it is that it is mainly the press fault, and I actually feel really sorry for the pair of them. The press has been absolutely vile. That said, Harry hasn't really done much to a) keep Megan a bit more under control (apparently she is a serious diva, to put it lightly) and b) sort the press out straight away.

Although it's hard to life a live which is basically used to raise the profile of the UK and various charities without having a profile in the press.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I rather think they'd quite like to .... fcuk off that is ... but the problem is - they are who they are and you cannot change that.
    What annoys me is the way the press sensationalize them and analyse everything they do. Just leave them alone. Report on major events and whatever THEY want published (assuming its news worthy) ... we don't need to know every time they breathed in/out. We don't need to know the content of a private letter written. We don't need to know every time they have a disagreement either between themselves or with their family - it's normal.
    This is pretty much my stance.

Yes, the Royals receiving public money does mean the public are entitled to some degree of access/coverage, but everyone is entitled to a right to privacy and some private life. It's a basic human (and European eeek) right.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    elbowloh wrote:
    the Royals receiving public money does mean the public are entitled to some degree of access/coverage

Again, Sovereign Grant/Civil List v Crown Estate income. We're on to a good deal here. Politicians in the late 17th century were obviously brighter than our lot.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Those silver seals on the end of toothpaste tubes. Can be very hard to remove sometimes.
  • cowsham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

When I saw that in the other thread I initially thought you meant dress size :D

You are correct it was me that thought clairvoyant cos she usually gives dress size in numbers. :) (whole numbers no fractions Robby will be glad to know )
  • cowsham
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Is Cowsham still a bastard?
    Probably till she calms down.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    I would genuinely appreciate it if someone gave a thorough explanation of the attraction to superhero films, and why otherwise well read sensible people see something interesting in a genre that seems incredibly childish and contrived.

A such, the mysterious appeal of them is trivially annoying, since I can only see them as sh!te.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    I would genuinely appreciate it if someone gave a thorough explanation of the attraction to superhero films, and why otherwise well read sensible people see something interesting in a genre that seems incredibly childish and contrived.

A such, the mysterious appeal of them is trivially annoying, since I can only see them as sh!te.
    Seen 1 - Nonsense, but entertaining.
    Seen 2 - Meh.
    Seen 3 - Bored now.
    Not watching a fourth.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    PBlakeney wrote:

Seen 1 - Nonsense, but entertaining.
    Seen 2 - Meh.
    Seen 3 - Bored now.
    Not watching a fourth.

I thought super Saturday was a let down.