Going from 3 to 2 chainrings

anim4l
anim4l Posts: 18
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I really need some advice here. I was thinking about going down from 3 down to 2 chainrings on my Specialized pitch comp. Is this doable without need to change some parts?

Is it as simple as just removing the largest chainring and adjusting the limit screws on the front derailleur?

Will i have do do anything on the shifter itself? I mean what happens if i don’t have a 3rd chainring and by mistake shifting into the 3rd gear?

What is the procedure of doing this, please advice. I would really appreciate that.

Here is a picture of my front derailleur of that would help in any way.

6ucchHB.jpg

BR
AniM4L

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The usual reason for changing from 3 to 2 chainrings is to alter the gear ratios and avoid duplication of gears. A typical 3-ring set up with 22-32-44 rings for example could be swapped for a 2-ring set up with 24-36 rings.

If you are not changing any parts why do you want to limit it to 2 chain rings?
    Without changing the middle and inner rings you don't benefit in any way. If you don't want to use the largest chain ring then just don't use it. You can set the limit screw to stop the front mech shifting to the outer ring. This will prevent you from shifting in to the 3rd gear no matter how hard you push on the shifter.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    You can exclude either the big ring, or the little ring to go to a 2x.
    I guess it would be possible to lock out two adjacent rings if you wanted to do so.
    I assume that you are experimenting to see what ranges you really need.

Going 2x will be easier if you also fit a wider range cassette, but then you may need to do something with the mech, maybe just a longer B screw.
  • anim4l
    JBA wrote:
    The usual reason for changing from 3 to 2 chainrings is to alter the gear ratios and avoid duplication of gears. A typical 3-ring set up with 22-32-44 rings for example could be swapped for a 2-ring set up with 24-36 rings.

If you are not changing any parts why do you want to limit it to 2 chain rings?
    Without changing the middle and inner rings you don't benefit in any way. If you don't want to use the largest chain ring then just don't use it. You can set the limit screw to stop the front mech shifting to the outer ring. This will prevent you from shifting in to the 3rd gear no matter how hard you push on the shifter.

The reason i want to limit it to 2 chainrings is because i dont use/rarely use the 3rd gear. Its big and iam afraid its gonna smash against a rock or something when riding trail.

If that works i will try to limit the screws. Thanks
  • anim4l
    You can exclude either the big ring, or the little ring to go to a 2x.
    I guess it would be possible to lock out two adjacent rings if you wanted to do so.
    I assume that you are experimenting to see what ranges you really need.

Going 2x will be easier if you also fit a wider range cassette, but then you may need to do something with the mech, maybe just a longer B screw.

Yes iam experimenting with the front gears, should i keep 3 och go down to 2. But because i rarely use the 3rd one iam considering switching to 2 chainrings.

Well if that works i will try to limit the screws on the front shifter. Thanks for your answer
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    You could always replace the big ring with a bash guard, then you won't have to worry about smashing against rocks when in the granny ring.

If your triple is riveted together, you could either just leave the big ring there, or maybe grind off the teeth!

What I would do (did do a few years ago) is remove the crankset and sell it. Replace it with a 2x with different rings as suggested by JBA. I bought a combined 2x and bash guard.