Garmin edge 830 vs 530

kozaki
kozaki Posts: 12
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
What are your opinion on those computers. Is Garmin edge 830 touch screen worth over weird positioned buttons on 530?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Read dcrainmakers review and decide which applies best for your purposes.
    530 for me FWIW.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/gar ... eview.html
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Theres nothing wrong with the placement of the buttons on the 530 IMHO (mind you I had a 520 so am well used to them). I prefer them to a touch screen in use. My 530 has been fab by the way, as was my 520. Only changed for the better maps and bigger screen etc, and in practice the "climb pro" function rocks....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • pblakeney
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Theres nothing wrong with the placement of the buttons on the 530 IMHO (mind you I had a 520 so am well used to them). I prefer them to a touch screen in use. My 530 has been fab by the way, as was my 520. Only changed for the better maps and bigger screen etc, and in practice the "climb pro" function rocks....
    ...but mostly the improved battery life. :wink:
    I switched climb pro off when in the Alps. Who needs reminding how hard it is going to be? :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    got a 530. its great for battery life, for example doing 2 medium distance (around 60 miles a day) surrey hills rides this weekend, it has still got 73% battery . its metrics and recording are better and more consistent than my outgoing 520. it has not crashed once, and updates at sensible times (rather than halfway round a race as the old one did)... it uploads data seamlessly after a ride.

its by far and away the best garmin I've owned. I'd rather buttons than a touch screen. the old 820 used to change screens when it got rained on!
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I switched climb pro off when in the Alps. Who needs reminding how hard it is going to be? :lol:

Takes a strong will not to look at the gradient signs at the side of the road!
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:

Fortunately there are other distractions. :wink: Plus, they lie in my opinion. One said 8% and my Garmin never showed anything below 10% for the next KM. My legs were telling me that Garmin was accurate. :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    PBlakeney wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Luv2ride wrote:

Fortunately there are other distractions. :wink: Plus, they lie in my opinion. One said 8% and my Garmin never showed anything below 10% for the next KM. My legs were telling me that Garmin was accurate. :lol:

climbpro is useful, I used it for the route we used in Yorkshire for one of our rides. Greenhow hill was nice, one of my group only said there was 3 Berg parts. and promptly blew up, I could see there was 4, and compensated accordingly. :D

but yeah, a 20km alpine drag might get the better of you!