Oakley Sunglasses - Question

Longshot
Longshot Posts: 940
edited October 2019 in Road general
Has anyone ever had a skin issue from Oakleys?

I've always assumed it was a coincidence but my skin has been flaring up for over a year now, generally when I go out on the bike. It's very, very dry and enflamed - the closest to a diagnosis I've had (even from a GP) is Sebhorreic Dermetitis. It's not life threatening but very annoying.

The condition came out of nowhere but the timing is coincidental to me getting the Oakleys. I'm just trying to rule out a possible cause.
You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If it only appears when you wear the oakleys - and disappears when you take them off, then it's not seborrhoeic dermatitis..
  • Longshot
    Imposter wrote:
    If it only appears when you wear the oakleys - and disappears when you take them off, then it's not seborrhoeic dermatitis..

No, it's there permanently but flares up worse when I go out on the bike (which is obviously when I wear the Oakleys). I guess it may just be that cycling (face getting dry and hit by sun plus wiping sweat away) makes the condition worse?

As I said, it's a long shot but just wondered.
  • Depends where the condition is localised.

I find since wearing sunglasses, more sweat runs down from my face into my eyes as it doesn't dry as quickly from the wind.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Longshot wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

No, it's there permanently but flares up worse when I go out on the bike (which is obviously when I wear the Oakleys). I guess it may just be that cycling (face getting dry and hit by sun plus wiping sweat away) makes the condition worse?

It might be related then, I've had something similar in the past. You may have tried these already, but something like Daktarin (available OTC) or a clotrimazole cream (not sure if prescription or not) would be worth considering. If normal moisturisers aren't doing anything, then a heavy-duty cream like Cetraben might help.

**Disclaimer** please note this does not constitute medical advice! Just sharing my experiences..
  • Longshot
    Imposter wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

It might be related then, I've had something similar in the past. You may have tried these already, but something like Daktarin (available OTC) or a clotrimazole cream (not sure if prescription or not) would be worth considering. If normal moisturisers aren't doing anything, then a heavy-duty cream like Cetraben might help.

**Disclaimer** please note this does not constitute medical advice! Just sharing my experiences..

Thanks, that's helpful. Normal moisturisers aren't making much difference.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I really doubt it - but easy enough to test. Just don't wear your glasses for a couple of rides ?
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Does it happen when you wear other sunglasses? It could just be aggravated by specific contact between your skin and something else, sunglasses in this case, resulting in sweating in that area. I wear a hard hat for work and have found that different models have slightly different contact points with regards to the internal headband, this has caused me a sweat related rash in the past.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I may have this however I have had several different diagnoses of a skin condition that appeared on the back of my head and in my right ear.
    I was told it was due to your body suddenly over producing hormones and all you can do is treat it symptomaticly.
    I use something called Diprosone and generally it stops things becoming too inflamed.
    What is worrying is that I have been wearing Oakleys for about 25 years :shock:
  • Longshot
    Webboo wrote:
    I may have this however I have had several different diagnoses of a skin condition that appeared on the back of my head and in my right ear.
    I was told it was due to your body suddenly over producing hormones and all you can do is treat it symptomaticly.
    I use something called Diprosone and generally it stops things becoming too inflamed.
    What is worrying is that I have been wearing Oakleys for about 25 years :shock:

Interesting. I'm sure the Oakleys are unrelated but it was the only thing I'd changed at that point in time. Like you, the top and back of my head and right ear are similarly affected.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I suspect that it is another consequence of getting old.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    As above, seems an easy thing to test.

Try using a cheap plastic pair for a few rides. I'd suspect it has more to do with sweat gathering about the arms and then the arms rubbing the spin that aggravates it rather than anything specific about Oakley's Unobtanium - or whatever TF it's called - rubber.

If not, embrace the helmet with a visor... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Longshot
    ddraver wrote:
    As above, seems an easy thing to test.

Try using a cheap plastic pair for a few rides. I'd suspect it has more to do with sweat gathering about the arms and then the arms rubbing the spin that aggravates it rather than anything specific about Oakley's Unobtanium - or whatever TF it's called - rubber.

If not, embrace the helmet with a visor... ;)

I did consider it. Briefly.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Not a problem for me, been wearing Oakleys for years without any problems. Just luck I guess.
  • It could be the ultraviolet light doing it. Try a sunscreen and see if the problem persists. If you do a lot of riding in the sun, then a sunscreen is highly advisable. I had a tiny dot on the end of my nose which began to bleed. I used a styptic pencil to stop it, but the spot got bigger. I went to a dermatologist who did a biopsy. Just got a phone call a few days ago; it's cancer. Now have to see a surgeon to fix it.
    If I knew how to ride a bike, properly, I'd do it every time
  • Longshot

It could be the ultraviolet light doing it. Try a sunscreen and see if the problem persists. If you do a lot of riding in the sun, then a sunscreen is highly advisable. I had a tiny dot on the end of my nose which began to bleed. I used a styptic pencil to stop it, but the spot got bigger. I went to a dermatologist who did a biopsy. Just got a phone call a few days ago; it's cancer. Now have to see a surgeon to fix it.

Best of luck with that.