Wingnuts

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited October 2019 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a Fuji Feather fixie and want to be able to take the front wheel off quickly for transport. I am told that the wheels- Alex double wall, 32h, high-flange alloy sealed bearing hubs - are not compatible with quick release skewers.

My second option is a wing nut so I don't have to carry a spanner, and would be very grateful if anyone could give advice as to where I might source a suitable one. I had wing nuts on an old 1980's city bike that I used in the Netherlands but some feckker stole it.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    pottssteve wrote:
    Hi,

I have a Fuji Feather fixie and want to be able to take the front wheel off quickly for transport. I am told that the wheels- Alex double wall, 32h, high-flange alloy sealed bearing hubs - are not compatible with quick release skewers.

My second option is a wing nut so I don't have to carry a spanner, and would be very grateful if anyone could give advice as to where I might source a suitable one. I had wing nuts on an old 1980's city bike that I used in the Netherlands but some feckker stole it.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    How does the hub know when the axial compression holding it in to the dropout is applied by a quick release, or when it's applied by wing nuts? If you wanted to you could always keep the qr end closed and tighten the nut on the other end. Then the hub would be tricked into thinking you were using a nut and bolt of some sort.

Sounds like nonsense has occurred somewhere.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/202536837510?c ... LdEALw_wcB

You will need two - one on its own will not work.
  • First.Aspect
    pottssteve wrote:
    Hi,

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    How does the hub know when the axial compression holding it in to the dropout is applied by a quick release, or when it's applied by wing nuts? If you wanted to you could always keep the qr end closed and tighten the nut on the other end. Then the hub would be tricked into thinking you were using a nut and bolt of some sort.

Sounds like nonsense has occurred somewhere.
    I stand corrected. They actually do still make fixed axle hubs. Perhaps I can still get spares for the 3 speed bike I had as a child. Seat should still go high enough..
  • imposter2.0
    I stand corrected. They actually do still make fixed axle hubs. Perhaps I can still get spares for the 3 speed bike I had as a child. Seat should still go high enough..

I believe this is for a threaded axle track hub - there was a discussion about it over on the track forum, assuming this is the same issue..
  • First.Aspect
    Imposter wrote:

I believe this is for a threaded axle track hub - there was a discussion about it over on the track forum, assuming this is the same issue..
    I think so. Makes me whistful for the days where you needed to borrow your dad's tools to fix a puncture, and it was a half hour job that inevitably resulted in the nut holding your wheel on coming off and rolling down a drain approximately 3 days later.

Hovis.
  • pottssteve
    Imposter wrote:

Hi, yes, its the same issue. I am now confused - can I just use a regular front wheel skewer to fool the wheel into not falling out or not? :? :)
    Maybe I just need to ride it to my LBS and see if they can sort me out? :D
  • No. You can't use any skewer with a track axle. There is no hole through the middle. You need a different front axle but which one will depend on your particular hub.

No disrespect intended, but you seem to have minimal technical or practical knowledge so your suggestion of asking LBS to help is probably your best solution.
  • pottssteve
    No. You can't use any skewer with a track axle. There is no hole through the middle. You need a different front axle but which one will depend on your particular hub.

No disrespect intended, but you seem to have minimal technical or practical knowledge so your suggestion of asking LBS to help is probably your best solution.

No offence taken. I have the technical ability of a banana. I assumed it would be an easy fix but I will do more research and take a ride to my LBS to see if they can sort me out. If not I will be riding with a spanner in my back pocket.

Thanks to everyone who has offered advice.

Steve
  • imposter2.0
    pottssteve wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Hi, yes, its the same issue. I am now confused - can I just use a regular front wheel skewer to fool the wheel into not falling out or not? :? :)

As already explained to you on the other thread - no. You already said you had a threaded track hub, so it will only accept 9mm track nuts, or equivalent wing nuts, which will facilitate removal without the use of a 15mm spanner.

There really isn't any need to do 'more research'. By all means ride it to your LBS - but they will tell you exactly the same thing.
  • First.Aspect
    Don't feel bad about being a banana. They are more genetically complex than humans.
  • imposter2.0
    Don't feel bad about being a banana. They are more genetically complex than humans.

Absolutely. I'll be voting 'banana' in the next general election...
  • First.Aspect
    Imposter wrote:

Absolutely. I'll be voting 'banana' in the next general election...
    They are only standing in Scotland. Sorry.
  • pottssteve
    Imposter wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

As already explained to you on the other thread - no. You already said you had a threaded track hub, so it will only accept 9mm track nuts, or equivalent wing nuts, which will facilitate removal without the use of a 15mm spanner.

There really isn't any need to do 'more research'. By all means ride it to your LBS - but they will tell you exactly the same thing.

Yes, thanks. By "more research" I meant finding where I could obtain said wing nuts. I live in HK so I suspect my LSB might struggle to supply them.......

Steve
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    just go to the local nut and bolt factor and get them off the shelf.

its a set of wing nuts not a flux capacitor.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • just go to the local nut and bolt factor and get them off the shelf.

make sure you upgrade your fingers to get them loose or tight enough too :)
  • I live in HK so I suspect my LSB might struggle to supply them.......

They all come from China.......
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How often are you taking the wheel off ? So long as you have the spanner - it's going to be as quick as the wingnuts.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:
    How often are you taking the wheel off ? So long as you have the spanner - it's going to be as quick as the wingnuts.
    When you're out and about ... and don't really want to carry a 15mm spanner with you ....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Slowbike wrote:
    Fenix wrote:
    When you're out and about ... and don't really want to carry a 15mm spanner with you ....

I fail to see how a bike wheel or indeed bike is less cumbersome than a spanner - but each to their own.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Fenix wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

I fail to see how a bike wheel or indeed bike is less cumbersome than a spanner - but each to their own.
    I don't have room in my saddle bag for all the gubbins, multi-tool AND a 15mm spanner. Although I suppose you could just about get away with one of those flat plate ones.

I'd be happy with wingnuts on Little Slowbikes wheel - currently has a 17mm follow-me nut on the front wheel - we risk it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I thought it was Steve Potts that has the issue ?

When I'm riding my fixed wheel bike I've no option but to carry spanners. They fit down the side of my saddle pack.

It's either that or be prepared to walk a looong way home.
  • If you don't carry spanners on a fixie then you've no chance of mending a puncture.
  • If you don't carry spanners on a fixie then you've no chance of mending a puncture.

Agreed, I carry a 15mm spanner, a proper one not a thin metal thing. cheap as chips about £3. SA3 speed id be even messier and longer to change without it.

I also carry a couple of latex gloves incase its the back wheel that punctures because its a dirty PIA.
  • Always carry latex gloves. Cheap as chips, weigh nothing and are invaluable when messing with rear wheel, chains or anything else covered in cr@p
  • Matthewfalle
    get spanner

drill two holes in it

two M5 bolts into bottle cage bolts

stick small allen key into back pocket

sorted

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Felt Despatch s/s came with the above as standard but one end was a box spanner, the other a bottle opener.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    just go to the local nut and bolt factor and get them off the shelf.

#powerfingersofpower

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • just go to the local nut and bolt factor and get them off the shelf.

#powerfingersofpower

#powerfingering
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Just carry one of these: https://www.condorcycles.com/products/p ... s-3wrencho

...and a pump and an inner tube, obvs.