Campagnolo Wheels with Shimano Groupset – Legit or Fashion Faux Pas?

ctp046
ctp046 Posts: 46
edited October 2019 in Road general
Looking for a new set of wheels for my road bike. Thinking about a set of Campags. However I would never mix a set of Sram brakes with Shimano shifters on my road bike. Or put a Bontrager stem on my Cannondale bike. So how does the internet feel about putting Campag wheels on a bike with Shimano or Sram shifters? (And yes I know there’s Fulcrum, but sometimes Campag stuff goes on sale for better prices).

Comments

• All Campag wheels have the option of Shimano freehubs so what's the issue?

Shimano has bought a virtual monopoly on groupsets. I don't think anyone cares any more. You even struggle to buy an Italian bike with Campag' on these days. Shame because the STI levers of Campag are far superior.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Don't see an issue with it.

Funnily enough I do feel more strongly about the idea of Shimano wheels on a bike with a Campy groupset (if it's possible) but it's just me being weird...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Go for it. Campag need the exposure, plus I've seen loads of people do this and never heard a word (particularly with the forum favourite Zondas).

And in time you can ditch the Shimano and put on a campag group too...
  • Bora's are class
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Campag wheels can go on any bike and compliment any other components. However a bike with a Campag groupset should never have any bit of Shimano stuff anywhere near it.
  • ctp046
    ctp046 Posts: 46
    lesfirth wrote:
    Campag wheels can go on any bike and compliment any other components. However a bike with a Campag groupset should never have any bit of Shimano stuff anywhere near it.

This is the kind of polarizing no grey area comment I was looking for haha!

Anyways sounds like there's a (rare for this site?) consensus that Campy wheels are acceptable.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Do you have a different brand front light to the rear?

Do you wear different brand clothing on top and bottom? Wear a giro helmet but specialized or fizik shoes etc?

Components are components, makes no difference what the name is, if it's what you want then buy it.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    redvision wrote:
    Do you have a different brand front light to the rear?

Do you wear different brand clothing on top and bottom? Wear a giro helmet but specialized or fizik shoes etc?

Components are components, makes no difference what the name is, if it's what you want then buy it.
    Too true. I suspect the OP is a "Johnny Come lately" to cycling and is all into 'image/style over substance'. :wink:
  • De Sisti wrote:
    Too true. I suspect the OP is a "Johnny Come lately" to cycling and is all into 'image/style over substance'. :wink:

And you’re one of those patronising cyclists?
  • At this point someone should point to the relevant point in the rules.
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    lesfirth wrote:

This
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    I'm just bemused that people (adults, I assume) still feel the need to ask "permission" to use certain equipment / clothing combinations.

Its your bike, you paid for it, you can put whatever you want on it.
    Anyone that has a genuine problem with it isn't worth wasting your time over.

There are things like the rules, which are a great bit of humour, but anyone who takes any of these things seriously needs to take a good look in the mirror.

Buy what you want and can afford. Ride your bike as much as you can....and smile! :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I have shimano 11 speed wheelset on an otherwise full chorus bike A because the wheels were in a sale and only available with Shimano freehub and B shimaNO cassettes are way cheaper than campag.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    it doesn't really matter. others have highlighted what goes on in cycling. remembering back on a club run someone said something about having campag wheels and shimano groupset as a faux pas. its absolutely not. its fine. the person in question was told to grow up.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    And you’re one of those making statements of fact cyclists?
    Thank you.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Buy some Boras.

/thread
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I don't think wheel mis-matching is enough to qualify as a Frankenbike personally so I think you're OK ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • itboffin wrote:
    I have shimano 11 speed wheelset on an otherwise full chorus bike A because the wheels were in a sale and only available with Shimano freehub and B shimaNO cassettes are way cheaper than campag.
    Serious question...
    At one time it was impossible to run Campag gears with Shimano cassettes, or vice versa, because the spacing between the rings was different between companies, so the throws were all wrong. Maybe only 1mm, but across a cassette that makes quite a difference.

Has that all changed and some standard spacing been agreed? If not how do you do that?
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    itboffin wrote:
    Serious question...
    At one time it was impossible to run Campag gears with Shimano cassettes, or vice versa, because the spacing between the rings was different between companies, so the throws were all wrong. Maybe only 1mm, but across a cassette that makes quite a difference.

Has that all changed and some standard spacing been agreed? If not how do you do that?

With 11 speed, apparently the spacing is near enough identical which means that itboffin can do what he's done with his bike. 11 speed IMO is the sweet spot in terms of function but also the cross compatibility between the 3 groupset manufacturers.

Of course all this made life way too convenient for everyone so we're back to different standards and spacing with 12 speed.
  • Thank you.
    I remember using a Shimano wheel with 7 speed Campag shifters. Down tube shifters - remember them? - and turning a lever to convert back to friction shifting. Didn't matter about the spacing then.
    Happy days. (I think)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    One gear in the middle of the block rattles otherwise everything is fine
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    CTP046 wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

Anyways sounds like there's a (rare for this site?) consensus that Campy wheels are acceptable.

Please, Campagnolo can be shortened to Campag but never "campy".
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    lesfirth wrote:
    CTP046 wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

Not a Campy fan then?
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    lesfirth wrote:
    CTP046 wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

Don't get all camp about it...
  • jpj84
    jpj84 Posts: 51
    My Italian summer bike has Campag drivetrain/wheels, Praxis chainset, SRAM brakes (I've always preferred them to Campag's calipers), and Shimano pedals. My Winter bike 'groupset' has bits of Veloce, Athena, 105, Ultegra, KMC, Shutter Precision, DT Swiss and FSA. None of this has caused me to be ostracised by clubmates/fellow cyclists.

My obnoxious personality and awful breath do that.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If you love campag you'll have a campag groupset. If you dont it fine to have a shimano or Sram groupset and campag wheels. This is also why campagnolo created fulcrum so the fashion conscious never has this dilemma.

Keeping brands the same through the bike is quite vain. It's fine on a showy bike but if it all works then ride what ever you like. Life is not a fashion parade.

12 speed fits in the same space so there may be cross compatibility but small differences in spacing have a bigger impact on shifting with 12 speed. There are some who think campag 10 speed and shimano 10 speed are interchangeable.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    lesfirth wrote:
    CTP046 wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:

Campagnolo themselves disagree. Unfortunately.
    https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Shops/campy_code_2
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    itboffin wrote:
    One gear in the middle of the block rattles otherwise everything is fine
    I’m running a sram cassette with a campagnolo 11sp mechanical group and it works perfectly as long as everything is set up properly - hanger alignment, plus I use the new “maximum smoothness” cables. With EPS on a different bike however I found I could never get it to work flawlessly - it would either sometimes not quite shift up to that one differently-spaced sprocket in the middle, or else if adjusted to do so, be temperamental in shifting down to the smallest sprocket. The way around it was to shift up two and down one when needing that particular middle sprocket, but I decided that wasn’t worth the 50g weight saving on that bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Both my bikes have Shimano wheels and groupsets, not because of any matchy matchy b0llocks but because they are cheap and functional. That's where the (accidental) coordination ends though. On the summer bike I have FSA bars, deda stem, Zipp seatpost, Specialized saddle, Winter bike has randomly ended up with Deda bars, stem and seatpost, but they don't match. It's also sporting a Brooks saddle, different tyres front and rear, a B&M front light, Moon and a Cateye at the rear and a CX chainset with a MTB rear mech and cassette.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,577
    My commuting bike has Campag groupset ... when the wheels got a bit hammered, I used some spare Shimano wheels I had, and they've stayed fitted since. All works ok, bar some minor chattering in one sprocket mid-block. Fashion faux pas? I don't care.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner