Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    It's definitely called British Petroleum when Deep water Horizon needs cleaning up

Funnily enough the States is also partial to a bit of parochialism.
  • That’s what I said?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    That's about right after tax
    I'm glad that you are not my accountant. :lol:
    Tax bill should be £4500, max.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    elbowloh wrote:
    Why are BP running adds about the great things they are doing in the US around wind farms and natural gas?

It was British Petroleum so why don't they do some great stuff in Britain and advertise that? Clearly it was an ad made for the US and they couldn't be bothered to make one for here also.

They dumped “British Petroleum” a while back. It’s BP.

They have a huge gas business in the States. What’s wrong with that?
    Because it's a ad they're running in the UK. Why do they think we care about that? It begs the question, to me anyway, does that mean they have no "green" initiatives in the UK?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I guess it's because we should care about a global company doing green stuff anywhere in the world, I think more of BP knowing they are doing that stuff (and listening to their CEO) that I did before. Not sure what they are doing in the UK, I would guess we are a quite a poor place comparatively because we don't have a huge amount of space and everyone objects to change...
  • elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    Why are BP running adds about the great things they are doing in the US around wind farms and natural gas?

It was British Petroleum so why don't they do some great stuff in Britain and advertise that? Clearly it was an ad made for the US and they couldn't be bothered to make one for here also.

They dumped “British Petroleum” a while back. It’s BP.

They have a huge gas business in the States. What’s wrong with that?
    Because it's a ad they're running in the UK. Why do they think we care about that? It begs the question, to me anyway, does that mean they have no "green" initiatives in the UK?

That would suggest you are not the intended target audience
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The government should want people on annuities.

You would think, but then the Tory gov't stopped making annuities compulsory.

It is on my long list of things I disliked about the previous government. They ruined ISAs too.

How did they ruin ISAs?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It is on my long list of things I disliked about the previous government. They ruined ISAs too.

How did they ruin ISAs?

They used to be a great incentive to save. Now most people don't pay tax on interest and you can put £20k a year in, there is little incentive to keep one. Imagine you had £60k in an ISA which had taken you 20 years to build up at £3k per year and saved you a few hundred in tax every year. You would only use it in an absolute emergency. Now, you might as well keep it in another savings account, and given that you could easily put the money back in in three years, why not just spend it now if you need it?
  • What if interest rates go up?

Use it to pay your increased mortgage payments.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    What if interest rates go up?

Is that a question about ISAs, monetary policy or something else?

Hopefully!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    More likely to see negative rates than rates go up, no?
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

How did they ruin ISAs?

They used to be a great incentive to save. Now most people don't pay tax on interest and you can put £20k a year in, there is little incentive to keep one. Imagine you had £60k in an ISA which had taken you 20 years to build up at £3k per year and saved you a few hundred in tax every year. You would only use it in an absolute emergency. Now, you might as well keep it in another savings account, and given that you could easily put the money back in in three years, why not just spend it now if you need it?

I was thinking of S&S. Agree I don't get the point of cash ISAs
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Whether these spam threads actually ever generate anything. I suppose they must have a small hit-rate if they keep on doing it.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    where all the Canyon//SRAM kit on the Rapha website has gone... (other than the archive sale)
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    More likely to see negative rates than rates go up, no?

Agreed. For savers. It works the other way for borrowers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Why is it that when I go into Sports Direct I feel like I might be the only person in there (customer or staff) who has ever taken part in sport or physical exercise of any kind? Maybe I'm being judgemental and there are a lot of professional Sumo wrestlers and Olympic shot putters frequenting their shops.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    Pross wrote:
    Why is it that when I go into Sports Direct I feel like I might be the only person in there (customer or staff) who has ever taken part in sport or physical exercise of any kind? Maybe I'm being judgemental and there are a lot of professional Sumo wrestlers and Olympic shot putters frequenting their shops.
    :D

We went in last weekend to get something for junior and I was thinking that they should rename it 'Sports kit for fatties'. Or maybe 'Tailor to the tracksuited underclass'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Why Rachel McKinnon didn't get a nomination in Po Face thread for men's cyclist of the year.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... tle-440876
  • Pross
    Companies that hold full scale interviews for a role where one of the applicants is already acting up in the role. The wife had her first interview in around 20 years yesterday having made it to a very short shortlist for a role that would be a big step up. The applicants had to undergo several hours of testing and then two rounds of interviews so required a full day off work. It was only at the end she discovered one of the other applicants is currently doing the role on a temporary basis so it seems highly unlikely anyone else is in serious contention.

I can't see how any interview process would have given the organisation more insight into how capable they were than watching them carry out the role during the temporary period and you would think that if they weren't up to the job they would have been told before others were interviewed so it all seems to be just a box ticking exercise to demonstrate procedures were followed at the time and expense of the other shortlisted candidates. If, on the off chance, someone else does get the job then their first challenge will end up being managing someone who wanted the role themselves and probably felt an entitlement to it so there would likely be friction there from the start.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    More than box-ticking, it's arse-covering.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    If the organisation has an equal opportunity’s recruitment policy then they will have to do this. It happens all the time in the NHS.
  • Pross
    It's completely ridiculous, if a person has shown they can do the job just give them the job rather than waste a load of time and money going through a lengthy process to appoint them anyway but be able to say they were the best candidate. Either that or advertise the post as soon as you know it is coming up so that you can fill it without the need for someone to temporarily act up in the role.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Pross wrote:
    advertise the post as soon as you know it is coming up so that you can fill it without the need for someone to temporarily act up in the role.

Have you any idea how long it takes to get a job spec and advert drawn up and approved in an organisation like the NHS? The former job holder will be long by the time that happens.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Pross
    Longshot wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    advertise the post as soon as you know it is coming up so that you can fill it without the need for someone to temporarily act up in the role.

Have you any idea how long it takes to get a job spec and advert drawn up and approved in an organisation like the NHS? The former job holder will be long by the time that happens.

You'd think it would already exist for the incumbent but I've had experience of public bodies and their red tape!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Pross wrote:
    Either that or advertise the post as soon as you know it is coming up so that you can fill it without the need for someone to temporarily act up in the role.
    Temporary Act ups can be there for long term sick - who then decide (or have decided for them) not to come back ...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:
    Companies that hold full scale interviews for a role where one of the applicants is already acting up in the role. The wife had her first interview in around 20 years yesterday having made it to a very short shortlist for a role that would be a big step up. The applicants had to undergo several hours of testing and then two rounds of interviews so required a full day off work. It was only at the end she discovered one of the other applicants is currently doing the role on a temporary basis so it seems highly unlikely anyone else is in serious contention.

I can't see how any interview process would have given the organisation more insight into how capable they were than watching them carry out the role during the temporary period and you would think that if they weren't up to the job they would have been told before others were interviewed so it all seems to be just a box ticking exercise to demonstrate procedures were followed at the time and expense of the other shortlisted candidates. If, on the off chance, someone else does get the job then their first challenge will end up being managing someone who wanted the role themselves and probably felt an entitlement to it so there would likely be friction there from the start.

How it works in my organisation - all down to competency based interview questioning and you could be the best person in the world at the job but you'll always lose to the best person on the shortlist at handling competency based interview questions (irrespective of how suited they are to the job). Not that the jobs exist anyway as the senior roles always disappear due to Voluntary Early Release schemes meaning that you are acting up technically but the work is pushed down to your grade.

It's a great way to make people feel valued.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Spotify's algorithm. I mean what can possibly cause this?

EHuUGUNW4AIipsU.jpg

well, its next to the Divine Comedy so obviously you have a really shyyt taste in music and its picked up on this.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.