Flux (no.3) is dead: what next, Direto or Neo?

ilovegadgets
ilovegadgets Posts: 47
So my third Flux (2 x original and now a Flux S) has developed a fault, i'm done with this model now. Thoughts on getting the Elite Direto from Halfords at £550 -10% BC discount, or take up Tacx's offer of 70% off Neo 2. The latter sounds good, but it does also mean shelling out another ~£350...the Direto almost a direct swap.

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Speak to Tacx directly and say that you've seen online there is normally the offer of an upgrade to a Neo.
    They should offer you a Neo as a replacement for around 200eur (ish)

That's what happened to me after my 3rd broken Flux.
  • Yeah that's the 70% discount i was offered, but that's from the full webshop reatil price of EUR1299...so more like EUR400.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Oh wow that's gone up then (mine was 219 eur).
    Yeah I'd go with that after all the Neo is still the gold standard of indoor trainer.

The Direto has a fair few issues as well (not as many as the Flux though)
  • yellowv2
    yellowv2 Posts: 282
    I have a Direto and after a few minor issues initially am pretty happy with it. However if I was buying again now I would probably go with a Neo or Kickr.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Neo every time. I've had two Elite turbos (Kura and Direto) both had issues, but the DIreto was the worst. Communication with Elite to resolve issues was problematic too and ultimately worthless. My Neo is gen 1 and performs as I expect it to for the money. Gen 2 are the same, but I'd give the 2T a miss until they've sorted the firmware out on it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • My Brother had the same issue and ended up going with the Tacx Neo upgrade for an extra €200, hes happy now.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'd agree - having had both elite and tacx trainers i'd say go with the neo if you can afford the extra cost.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I’ve sent my 3rd Flux back via the retailer (UK LBS) and asked for upgrade to a Neo, with cash adjustment at a figure to be negotiated.

I would have thought that reputational risk would prompt a positive response but email ping pong is keeping me waiting.