First 600km Audax - Yorkshire, via Essex

Hi All,

After a few years of solo and group long distance rides I've taken my first plunge into Audax and sign up for Yorkshire, via Essex.

Is there anything specific I should watch out for on this ride? Or, best advice for a newbie?

Thanks
Lee

Comments

• Hi All,

After a few years of solo and group long distance rides I've taken my first plunge into Audax and sign up for Yorkshire, via Essex.

Is there anything specific I should watch out for on this ride? Or, best advice for a newbie?

Thanks
    Lee

I don't know the ride, I assume it flat (same route as the Flatlands?), but with the possibility of strong headwinds.
    Generally speaking, for a 600 you need to look at battery life, for your GPX device if you use one, as well as lights, if you don't have a dynamo. Charging options such as Anker and how to make sure they charge your GPX unit without switching it off (search USB condoms). Make sure you have enough capacity to carry clothes for the night and the early morning, when it's always cold, regardless of what the Metoffice says.
    The distance itself: plan your night stop in advance and ride within your means. 40 hours is plenty if you use them wisely. Don't faff and spend an hour at each control, like many people do and therefore always struggling.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for the advice.

Yes its the classic Flatlands 600 route, with some differences, but in reverse starting from Sleaford Lincolnshire. Heading south first to Essex through Cambridgeshire and back into Lincolnshire for the run north to Goole.

As this is my first 600 I've booked Travel Lodge in Spalding for a few hours kip on Saturday night. I thought this will give me a good base and a guaranteed rest stop.

I currently don't have a dynamo, but will give this some thought. In my head i was going to use a usb powerbank and then charge at the Travel Lodge.

Thanks
  • Thanks for the advice.

Yes its the classic Flatlands 600 route, with some differences, but in reverse starting from Sleaford Lincolnshire. Heading south first to Essex through Cambridgeshire and back into Lincolnshire for the run north to Goole.

As this is my first 600 I've booked Travel Lodge in Spalding for a few hours kip on Saturday night. I thought this will give me a good base and a guaranteed rest stop.

I currently don't have a dynamo, but will give this some thought. In my head i was going to use a usb powerbank and then charge at the Travel Lodge.

Thanks

Powerbank is fine... it's the summer solstice, so there will be enough light to get by without the need for a dynamo. If you are quick, you will probably be in bed before it gets dark
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I did the flatlands with a Catye Volt 1700 (thats 15hrs of light on low setting) and a Leyzne microdrive 180's. I did sleep though so did not ride through the whole night. You dont have to be that fast to get back on the second day before the sun goes down. averaging 15 mph on the fens is not that hard. That allows you alot of time for stops, eating and sleeping. I like sleep.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The last 200 mile ride I did in a day was on the same weekend this year and plenty of day light. In my head, and barring any major issues, I had it that most of the riding would be in day light. I'm normally an early riser so if I wake up early on the Sunday I was going to get straight off and munch through some miles early doors.

Just out of interest do most riders on a 600 build time to sleep? I've seen a mix of options discussed from bench's, fields, bus shelters to hotels.

• Just out of interest do most riders on a 600 build time to sleep? I've seen a mix of options discussed from bench's, fields, bus shelters to hotels.

IME most of those who talk about them on forums are those at the back end, so that gives you the false impression that it's so hard to do 350-400 km before it gets dark... there is a front end, where people get to the night control at 9 PM and sleep until the morning