rockshox recon issue- thoughts asap?!

Spannerhead
Spannerhead Posts: 8
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Rockshox Recon RL (silver uppers) off my 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6. The compression and lockout has never been perfect since I got it around June. It kept on getting worse until when it was on the ‘lockout’ it would move over half of it’s travel- just feel slightly stiffer. The fork also makes a loud ‘clicking’ sound whenever compressed.

I submitted a warranty claim with CRC and they said to send the fork to them. Tonight I removed it and when I pushed it with my hands in lockout it took 3-4 compressions and then it mostly locked out ( I know it never completely locks). Still clicks.

My friend at the community bike workshop I volunteer at, who’s done a city and guilds bike mechanics course says I should send it in, but he’s 17 and not specifically trained in fork mechanics.

The compression has deteriorated over the few months. Now it’s off the bike and ‘working?’ it feels like what it was like the first day I had the bike- not great but working. Is this deteriorating a defect?

Do I send it in tomorrow? Is it maybe only an issue when installed on the bike? I’m worried they may reject my claim if they test the fork how it is now.

I really want it sorted but i just don’t want them to test it, and then say it works fine after paying £15 postage and having the bike out of action.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you checked the oil level in the damper, most obvious issue, the damper can't work without oil!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jb72
    jb72 Posts: 12
    The Rookie wrote:
    Have you checked the oil level in the damper, most obvious issue, the damper can't work without oil!

I'd agree. If the oil level is a little low in the damper it won't work properly.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Send it in, you will always be concerned about it otherwise.

A fork that is only 5-6 months old should not be failing like this. What riding weight are you?