Strava stopping direct Ant+ connection. Any alternative

oxomanoxoman Posts: 6,586
edited 17 October in Road general
Currently use Ant+ plus / bluetooth cadence sensor on my defy for training etc connected direct to Strava on smart phone app, come the end of the month that function will no longer be possible as Strava stopping that function. I refuse to use or replace my garmin as its about as reliable a politician. Didnt really want to use another dedicated device unless i really have to. Does anyone have any ideas on this one, ie alternative apps i can use to upload to strava. Cheers.
Moda Bolero wet bike.
Giant Anthem SX
Giant TCX CX bike
Defy Adv Pro 2 shiny nice bike.
Boardman comp hardtail. Not so little oxo,s

• fenixfenix Posts: 4,739
    My Garmin Fenix hasn't missed a beat in 4 years. Well worth it for me.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 6,586
    2 garmin edge touring and a plus all failed for various reasons, mainly unreliable software issues.
    Moda Bolero wet bike.
    Giant Anthem SX
    Giant TCX CX bike
  • bsharp77bsharp77 Posts: 484
    What phone are you using oxoman?
    If its an iPhone, i've used Cyclemeter and the Wahoo fitness app and both are very good.
    Wahoo fitness is free, whereas cyclemeter was paid for.

There are android versions available of both apps as well, but I haven't personally used them so can't vouch for them, but I would assume they are of the same quality and reliability.

I've moved to a Garmin 530 in the past couple of months and it really is great - turn on and forget, with instant uploading to garmin connect / strava / trainingpeaks at the end of the ride which is great.
    Currently using samsung android, currently wouldn't even consider a cycling garmin. Never had problems with my walking one's but nothing but grief with cycling ones. Several mates have all had similar issues with edge touring models. Didn't really want to fork out for another GPS device unless I really need to.
    Moda Bolero wet bike.
    Giant Anthem SX
    Giant TCX CX bike
  • figbatfigbat Posts: 680
    Strava themselves suggest using the Wahoo Fitness app and then syncing it with Strava. This happens automatically and seamlessly in my experience.
    Strava wrote:
    The easiest way to upload your data is to record your activities with sensor data using the Wahoo Fitness app. It works with both sensor types and can automatically upload your activities to your Strava account.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,353
    Must admit - I've never had anything but isolated issues with my Garmins - so it must be you ;) - Oh - I don't routinely update the firmware either - although with the new 820 I don't think I get the choice .. anyway ... no - I wouldn't bother getting a GPS/Cycle computer to record Ant+/Bluetooth on the turbo ... not when you can use an existing device to do it.
    Sorry - I use BKool simulator on the turbo and Garmin GPS off it ...
    If it was isolated I would worry 3 different units 2 of which where direct warranty replacements from Garmin. Did C2C last yr and 3 of us using edge touring ones all failed within an hr on last day. Only 2 recoverable at roadside, all purchased at different times places etc. Never updated software due to reported glitches until well after last yrs C2C.The cadence unit is on my Defy and use the data just to measure my general fitness.
    Moda Bolero wet bike.
    Giant Anthem SX
    Giant TCX CX bike
    oxoman wrote:
    If it was isolated I would worry.
    Don't worry - generally, computers just work when I approach ...
    Just "fixed" a laptop that wouldn't log in with the generic username & password by walking up to it - typing the generic info and pressing return ...
    I'm used to it ;)
  • slowmartslowmart Posts: 3,708
    Oxo- what cadence meter do you have? Most manufacturers have their own app which you can usually sync with Strava?

I’ve got a cycplus which has been trouble free and works perfectly with TrainerRoad.

Unfortunately I can’t verify it’s usefulness for syncing with Strava
    And God created the bicycle, so that man could use it as a means for work and to help him negotiate life's complicated journey.
    Slow, it's the generic giant one that they fit to the defy adv and tcr,s. Not sure of its just rebadged by giant or not.
    Moda Bolero wet bike.
    Giant Anthem SX
    Giant TCX CX bike
    I’ve just had a look around and it seems the wahoo cadence meter and app which syncs with strava might be the best alternative.

If you can, wait for the dust to settle as other remedies may come to light as it seems Strava has took their user base by surprise and left users scrambling for a viable solution.

Techs great until it doesn’t work and then I feel like a chimpanzee with a power tool.
    And God created the bicycle, so that man could use it as a means for work and to help him negotiate life's complicated journey.
    Yep, pretty much what I thought when I got the email. I may get a GPS watch for Christmas as possibly pushing the running and duathlon a bit more.
    Moda Bolero wet bike.
    Giant Anthem SX
    Giant TCX CX bike
  • cowboyjoncowboyjon Posts: 89
    So strava just became a fitness app that doesn't let you sync a heart rate monitor. What an absolute joke of a company.

For folks like myself who use a smart phone instead of a cycling computer, just head to the app store and download wahoo for free.

It's superior in every way to strava (you can actually customise your display and it will show current speed and heart rate instead of just the average) other than segments and social integration. It also syncs to strava at the end of a ride if you wish.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    So why use Strava anyway Jon ?
  • cowboyjoncowboyjon Posts: 89
    cougie wrote:
    So why use Strava anyway Jon ?

I am now asking myself that same question.

Mainly to keep track of the mileage me and my bikes have done. Next year I plan on joining a local club and it let's me see what I'm in for and what kind of level the riders I will be joining are at.
    I think most people use strava as one of the first on the scene and certainly most used. I'm wondering if they have been under pressure to be just a means of keeping the records rather than a direct connection to heart monitors etc.
    Moda Bolero wet bike.
    Giant Anthem SX
    Giant TCX CX bike
    Strava has stated its down to the number of crashes of service from Ant+ and Bluetooth connections that has forced their hand

@oxo re GPS watches - be mindful of the battery life of your using the watch to collect data from
    cycling
  • NapoleonDNapoleonD Posts: 18,632
    slowmart wrote:
    Strava has stated its down to the number of crashes of service from Ant+ and Bluetooth connections that has forced their hand

@oxo re GPS watches - be mindful of the battery life of your using the watch to collect data from
    cycling

My Fenix 5+ records all day, I’ve done 12hr ultramarathons with it and it’s not gone below 20%
    Twitter - @NapD
    Strava - Alex Taylor (sportstest.co.uk)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
    NapoleonD wrote:
    slowmart wrote:

cycling

My Fenix 5+ records all day, I’ve done 12hr ultramarathons with it and it’s not gone below 20%

That's because it only records a point every 10 meters ... you're obviously too slow .... ;)
  • philbar72philbar72 Posts: 2,190
    ouch. working with mission critical software as I do, I'd be absolutely flabbergasted to think that you'd cut 2 of the cornerstones of what your app is built on, suddenly gets cut out.... that's lunacy.

surely now is the time for someone to do what strava does but without the bugs.
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,861
    I use a Garmin 1030 before that a 1000 and before that a 500 and never had data issues not that I bother much with data any more. I did once though.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.