Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Winter/ Commuter Bike

dinyulldinyull Posts: 2,979
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Apologies for another new bike thread.

A toddler combined with moving/ renovating house has meant that I've been completely out of the loop and not been on here watching out for deals etc like I have in the past.

Current commuter has 105 hydro's, with one of the shifters needing to be replaced. As much as I like the hydro's I need something I can repair myself and that doesn't require selling a kidney to replace parts. Have been seriously put off by the fault my shifter has developed too. See thread - viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13089841#p20585345

So looking for rim braked road bike with mud guard mounts and good tyre clearance. Thinking Tiagra and for as little as possible - I like a good deal!

Either full bikes or frameset as I can use some of the kit from my bike.

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 10,587
    Personally I'd upgrade to the newer hydraulic shifters, saying that mine haven't caused me any issues. That said my go to commute bike is a moda bolero. Well made decent wheels, microshift aren't the best but easily changed. I had mine built from new with full 105. Used pretty much constantly for work plus touring, Audax, apprentices, etc. Only just looking at replacement wheels after nearly 15k on the American Victory classic,s it came with. You'll struggle to get anything better for the price. Hopefully your size still in stock.
    https://www.startfitness.co.uk/catalogs ... oda+bolero
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.