The Irony Thread

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    yeah - he was just hoping he slipped over and injured himself... obviously. And i'm sure he would have apologised even if he hadn't been caught on camera, identified and arrested.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    He was hoping to slip over on a banana he didn't bring? That's ambitious even for a cartoon.

He clearly wouldn't have apologised, but he may have regretted it.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Lewis Hamilton moaning about the state of the planet and turning vegan.
    https://news.yahoo.com/f1-champion-hami ... 56721.html
    Makes fortunes burning thousands of gallons of fossil fuels in racing cars and promoting the car industry, until recently owned a private jet, has several large homes around the world. Whinges that people don't care about the world as much as he does.
    Okaaaaaay........
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    what?

I meant (albeit very much not seriously!) the guy threw the banana skin at him in the hope that the footballer slipped over on it and injured himself and was therefore not able to continue the match and that there was clearly no racist intent.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • TheBigBean
    Chris Bass wrote:
    what?

I meant (albeit very much not seriously!) the guy threw the banana skin at him in the hope that the footballer slipped over on it and injured himself and was therefore not able to continue the match and that there was clearly no racist intent.

He was trying to hit an Arsenal player - something he pleaded guilty to. It is possible to hit people with objects and simply be an idiot as opposed to a racist idiot.
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    English travelling football fans who complain other nations are racist.

I haven't heard any racism at any match in England despite hearing some fairly vulgar language and songs. A few clubs still have a bad reputation, but it is a fairly legitimate criticism of last night's match.

Sterling got racially abused at Chelsea last season, and a banana was thrown on the pitch at Arsenal and Millwall and the clubs got just a £10k fine.

Not a defence of Bulgarian fans, they were clearly awful, but it's disappointing that when it's English fans people are a lot more muted, if fairly predictable.

We have come a long way when one racist yelling at Stamford Bridge is front page news.

Football in this country may not be perfect but it has taken giant steps to solve its problems
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,160
    TheBigBean wrote:

I haven't heard any racism at any match in England despite hearing some fairly vulgar language and songs. A few clubs still have a bad reputation, but it is a fairly legitimate criticism of last night's match.

Sterling got racially abused at Chelsea last season, and a banana was thrown on the pitch at Arsenal and Millwall and the clubs got just a £10k fine.

Not a defence of Bulgarian fans, they were clearly awful, but it's disappointing that when it's English fans people are a lot more muted, if fairly predictable.

We have come a long way when one racist yelling at Stamford Bridge is front page news.

Football in this country may not be perfect but it has taken giant steps to solve its problems
    I think Rick's views may be influenced by him living next to Stamford Bridge at one point. I mean, who would have thought that it might not be peaceful there on every other Saturday afternoon?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    TheBigBean wrote:

We have come a long way when one racist yelling at Stamford Bridge is front page news

If you think that’s the case that’s fine - I don’t.

Lived 200m from Stamford Bridge for 6-7 years and fans from all clubs , Chelsea or visiting, are bad.

Countless instances from fans on the tube to outside the stadium.

I’m always surprised how defensive people get about it. I hear it with my own ears so presumably they do too.

Zaha barely got listened to when he said he is called a n **** pretty much every game. Sterling similarly says its a deep problem and nowhere near to being solved but bury your head in the sand if you want.

Didn’t Dany Rose say he was so sick of it he couldn’t wait to quit football?

It’s all there. People don’t want to hear it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    TheBigBean wrote:

We have come a long way when one racist yelling at Stamford Bridge is front page news

If you think that’s the case that’s fine - I don’t.

Lived 200m from Stamford Bridge for 6-7 years and fans from all clubs , Chelsea or visiting, are bad.

Countless instances from fans on the tube to outside the stadium.

I’m always surprised how defensive people get about it. I hear it with my own ears so presumably they do too.

Zaha barely got listened to when he said he is called a n **** pretty much every game. Sterling similarly says its a deep problem and nowhere near to being solved but bury your head in the sand if you want.
    I used to live over the river from Fulham and would occasionally find myself there on a match day (by mistake). All sounds consistent with my experience.
    We might well have come a long way but there's plenty still to do.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    I can only speak of my own experience, and I have never heard any racist abuse at a game.

I have heard a lot of abuse, and there are many things I dislike about football fans.
  • Stevo_666
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I can only speak of my own experience, and I have never heard any racist abuse at a game.

I have heard a lot of abuse, and there are many things I dislike about football fans.
    That's also my experience from the times I've been to Stamford Bridge.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

A significant % of arsenal players and fans are black. I have never heard racist abuse there.
  • That's a good point actually, as most of Chelsea players are white and British, so seems reasonable that you wouldn't hear racist abuse there.
  • TheBigBean
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

A significant % of arsenal players and fans are black. I have never heard racist abuse there.

For some reason, I had you down as a Spurs fan.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Of all the footy grounds I've been to, i would say Stamford Bridge is the place I've found the most aggressive and uncomfortable, including hearing racist abuse.

Just because a team has black/minority players doesn't mean that they won't hurl racist abuse. The Bulgarians fielded a black player (came on as a sub) lets not forget.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    There's a consumer affairs programme on BBC called "Rip off Britain".

This programme apparently needs three presenters, Gloria Hunniford, Julia Somerfield, and Angela Rippon, who sit there reading out one line of the autocue each, in turn. They're shown on phones and going through correspondence, when I'm guessing that it's all done by a a team of researchers. They once did an episode from Spain, so they could read the autocue in the sun with nice beach background.

Rip Off? yep.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    That's a good point actually, as most of Chelsea players are white and British, so seems reasonable that you wouldn't hear racist abuse there.

I would imagine that the abuse is reserved for opposing players.

Like when Liverpool fans became experts in Spanish after Suarez abused Evra, rather than accepting their guy was being a racist sh!t.
  • Stevo_666
    That's a good point actually, as most of Chelsea players are white and British, so seems reasonable that you wouldn't hear racist abuse there.
    Have you seen the current Chelsea line up?
  • I'm glad it didn't go over the heads of our insightful CS posters.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I'm glad it didn't go over the heads of our insightful CS posters.
    :D
  • Stevo_666
    I'm glad it didn't go over the heads of our insightful CS posters.
    As its Cake Stop, its not unreasonable to assume that most posters know naff all about football :)
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

whoosh
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

whoosh
    Smartarse alert...

To be specific I just assumed you knew naff all about football.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    ironing-board_Lead-960x480.jpg
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Strange name for a dog.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I was watching one of those "Police, Camera" things the other day. They featured a bit about people racing around a certain area of Birmingham at night, with a load of spectators watching.

The policeman was saying that when they managed to catch and prosecute some of the offenders, that it was surprising that they were usually in their late thirties.

He said "they've grown up with this culture"

Grown up? and still racing cars around streets?

The older I get, the better I was.

• cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Cycling in cold weather.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    cowsham said:

Cycling in cold weather.

You are Alanis Morissette and I claim my £5.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    pblakeney said:

cowsham said:

Cycling in cold weather.

You are Alanis Morissette and I claim my £5.
    She didn't sing " it's a comfy ride cos my budgie is so small "
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Bump.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!