Tour route 2020

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited October 2019 in Pro race
Five days to go and not a complete route rumour in sight. Some of the early climbs been identified and some in the Alps and a day before Paris TT up Planche Belle Filled but first 10 days is sketchy. Just have to wait :)

Comments

• ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Last minute.com hotel booking strategy by ASO?
    Half man, Half bike
  • Yup.
    Rumour is La Planche de Belle Filles will be the only ITT of 22kms on stage 20.

Then there's this.

https://www.francebleu.fr/emissions/l-i ... e-8h20-190

LusetteS.gif
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The race presentation is live on Eurosport at 10-30am, this morning.

https://www.ouest-france.fr/tour-de-fra ... ou-6564062
    One year after a high-altitude edition on the alpine peaks, the 2020 Tour is announced once again very mountainous: a choice above all linked to the great departure of Nice, at the foot of the passes. Race director Thierry Gouvenou even announced that the Tour "will hardly leave the mountains.......".

Visiting all 5 mountain ranges apparently.
  • Today is the. day that has always set up my next summer. It's a type of sports equinox

I will be celebrating with champagne from a low volume producer near Epernay. 1988 of course - the year of my first tour and a cheeky blast on my crack pipe
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    from L'equipe;
    Col de la Loze, le nouveau col alpin du Tour 2020
    L'étape reine du Tour 2020, dont le parcours est présenté aujourd'hui, franchira la Madeleine et s'achèvera au sommet du col de la Loze, une montée inédite au final spectaculaire, appelée à devenir un classique de la Grande Boucle.

seems like the col Loze has 6km of newly paved road taking it up to 2304m.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    inseine wrote:
    from L'equipe;
    L'étape reine du Tour 2020, dont le parcours est présenté aujourd'hui, franchira la Madeleine et s'achèvera au sommet du col de la Loze, une montée inédite au final spectaculaire, appelée à devenir un classique de la Grande Boucle.

oh are they doing that? I rode that this summer, up above Courchevel. Nuts road, cycle only, very smooth, but has a bit of everything downhill, flat, gradual climbs and some steep ramps. Descent the other side down to La Tania pretty epic too...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Wow, I'm actually... excited! :shock:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Not much north of Poitiers. !
  • Del
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Hot one, very south.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    dish_dash wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    from L'equipe;

oh are they doing that? I rode that this summer, up above Courchevel. Nuts road, cycle only, very smooth, but has a bit of everything downhill, flat, gradual climbs and some steep ramps. Descent the other side down to La Tania pretty epic too...

They're going up the Meribel side (it doesn't descent to La Tania btw Dish!). same as they L'Avenir did this year. It's very, very tough in places on the new road, and pretty narrow. The team busses won't be at the top!
  • All the rumours were found to be true, no?

Planche time trial will be interesting, are they the only TT kilometres this year?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    inseine wrote:
    loze700.png

ouch

That's the climb from Courchevel which is the easier side. The tour is coming up from the Meribel side which has 15%+ pitches.

This is the harder side:

Profil-E8-Tour-de-lAvenir-2019-982x800.png
  • Loved the way that the ASO had Froome limp onto the stage in the middle of a bunch of French "C" grade riders.
    Still, Kirby got one back for the Anglos by calling Bardet, Barguil.
  • Broadband and tv being upgraded for improved service! Not improving my service if I can’t watch route announcement!!
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    With a massive 36km of ITT-ing and uphill, it will be interesting to see what Dumoulin decides; Tour or Giro/Vuelta double - and leave the Tour for Roglic?
    As is the recent norm, a pretty poor amount of TT kilometres - the ASO are petrified certain teams/riders will dominate; so put as least in as possible.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • AndyRAC wrote:
    As is the recent norm, a pretty poor amount of TT kilometres - the ASO are petrified certain teams/riders will dominate; so put as least in as possible.

Froome seems to think as much

https://twitter.com/chrisfroome/status/1184052397364125697
  • The sprinters are all stampeding.......................................for the door!

https://mobile.twitter.com/laflammeroug ... 76/photo/1
  • rick_chasey
    AndyRAC wrote:
    With a massive 36km of ITT-ing and uphill, it will be interesting to see what Dumoulin decides; Tour or Giro/Vuelta double - and leave the Tour for Roglic?

Dumolin did not join Jumbo to do any other race than the Tour.

You must remember how big the Tour is in the Netherlands. Gigantic doesn't cover it.
  • rick_chasey
    Would like to see at least one big set piece climb.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Final stage starts a 15 min ride from my house :) They started Paris-Nice there a few years ago.
  • Stage 18 looks good – Roseland from Meribel, Saisies, Aravis, Glieres

https://www.letour.fr/en/stage-18
  • AndyRAC wrote:

You must remember how big the Tour is in the Netherlands. Gigantic doesn't cover it.

The Dutch over on CN agree with Andy and don't think Dumoulin will be at all interested in tackling this route.
  • red.rider
    red.rider Posts: 1,058
    The sprinters are all stampeding.......................................for the door!
    https://www.twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1184055916762750976/photo/1
    EG6ck6GWoAE7n6C?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

This poor map has caught chicken pox
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    AndyRAC wrote:

It's his chance to win an Olympic gold medal next year though
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    AndyRAC wrote:
    Yet I think this sort of route favours the stronger teams. Consistency will be the key. And strong teams will be able to dictate affairs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bit disappointing, that. We saw in this year's Vuelta what having selective mountain stages does to the race early on.

Too many average mountains and no real final showdown.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    We saw in this year's Vuelta what having selective mountain stages does to the race early on.

Do you mean a solo mountain raid on the final day of proper racing? Or teams having to force a selection in crosswinds to claw back time?
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    inseine wrote:
    Final stage starts a 15 min ride from my house :) They started Paris-Nice there a few years ago.

A rideable distance from my house too :D