New BB30 bearings needed. Any recommendations?

Darius_Jedburgh
Darius_Jedburgh Posts: 675
edited October 2019 in Workshop
It's getting time to replace the BB30 bottom bracket bearings on the Synapse. I have the tools so just need the bearings. Any suggestions as to where/what I should buy? Price isn't the driving factor in play. I would rather pay a bit more and get quality than go cheap and have to replace after 6 months. As SWMBO says "Buy cheap, buy twice".

What are you guys using? Are ceramic worth considering for mainly dry (???) summer on road use.

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Any 6806 bearings will suffice. 42mm ED x 30mm ID

Buy a pair of my CeramicSpeed ones ;)
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • I wouldn't waste my money on ceramics unless you get a kick out of it. In which case a whole army of suppliers have the thing for you!

I had some SKF ones that lasted far far longer than others https://www.qualitybearingsonline.com/6 ... 30x42x7mm/
  • ryan_w-2
    I have owned and installed numerous types of BBs, from £20 to £350.

Regardless of who says what, I have found higher end ceramic BBs to spin better and am yet to have to replace one.

However, cheaper steel bearing BBs have failed on me numerous times.

Each to their own. But I agree that SKF are up there with the best manufacturers for steel bearings, along with NTN.

• Thanks guys. I'll look at the SKF set.
    (Un)fortunately I'm not on Instagram so can't see the ceramics, but thanks for the input.
  • Thanks guys. I'll look at the SKF set.
    (Un)fortunately I'm not on Instagram so can't see the ceramics, but thanks for the input.

Don't get the ones I linked to though because they have no seals, get a sealed version!
  • Yes, thanks. I'd guessed that would be the case.
    I've just been Googling the ceramic ones mentioned above. £250 per pair!!!! Jeez, but no thanks. I may be daft but I'm not stupid.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Some words of wisdom from Mr Hambini that might be helpful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-FqWpi ... dex=7&t=0s

He rates the NTN bearings if you can source them if the size needed
  • ryan_w-2
    Check the for sale section. You may be pleasantly surprised how cheap CeramicSpeed are ;)

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!