oh dear, what a shame.

Alejandrosdog
Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50042406

that's the best sort of rehabilitation he could have hoped for and a good example of why the death penalty should be brought back.

for the liberals here the death penalty would have at least given him a level of dignity in death.

Comments

• The problem with the death penalty is that
    a) it's far more costly than actually putting someone in prison (to the tune of over $1m per inmate)
    b) it doesn't act as a deterrent to crime

so it serves little to no benefit except for those who like to 'get even'
  • What's wrong with 22 life sentences and never getting out if prison?

Also I bet there's other prisoners wanting him dead for what he's done. A lifetime if expecting an attack is possibly better retribution than a quick death and it's release?
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    What's wrong with 22 life sentences and never getting out if prison?

Also I bet there's other prisoners wanting him dead for what he's done. A lifetime if expecting an attack is possibly better retribution than a quick death and it's release?

Aha - you got it in one. Punishment is retribution not deterrence.
  • I suppose the constant fear followed by a violent terrifying death is a win win for the world.
  • I suppose the constant fear followed by a violent terrifying death is a win win for the world.
    But was there long enough period of constant fear? Was it 2013 he was caught? I'm sure three authorities could have protected him a bit longer for even more retribution value.
    But was there long enough period of constant fear? Was it 2013 he was caught? I'm sure three authorities could have protected him a bit longer for even more retribution value.

Hmmm you have a point. perhaps made him wear a bunny girl outfit and had a slaps only rule applied
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    The death penalty is a terrible thing and doesn't work - it doesn't deter criminals, which is kinda the whole point. People are less likely to inform police of someone if they think they will be sentenced to death and jurors are much less likely to convict people if they know the punishment will be death.

other than that - yeah, its a great idea!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    edited October 2019
    "Police were called shortly after 12:30pm and have launched an investigation into his death, we they are treating as suspicious."

Kent's finest sound like they're on top of things. Damn fine police work.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • meursault wrote:
    "Police were called shortly after 12:30pm and have launched an investigation into his death, we they are treating as suspicious."

Kent's finest sound like their on top of things. Damn fine police work.

"Police were called shortly after 12:30pm but needed a cup of tea and thought it better to let things calm down before starting their investigation into the vile paedophiles unexpected death, at this stage suicide hasn't been ruled out. Despite the closed nature of the crime scene the investigation will be challenging and far from certain that any arrests will be made."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • chris_bass
    how anyone can gain any sort of pleasure out of this whole situation is beyond me.
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    how anyone can gain any sort of pleasure out of this whole situation is beyond me.

Considering what he did quite easily.
  • chris_bass
    bradsbeard wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

That is part of the whole situation in what i was saying.

is him being murdered in any way going to make what he did any less bad? no
    will killing him make any children safer? no
    will killing him be likely to stop anyone else doing something similar? no
    Did the person that killed him do a good thing? no
    Will the person that killed him be in prison longer than they would have otherwise? and/or cost the already stretched system more? yes

I'm still failing to see where the joy comes in?
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    bradsbeard wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

will killing him make any children safer? YES
    will killing him be likely to stop anyone else doing something similar? MAYBE and so what anyway
    Did the person that killed him do a good thing? YES
    Will the person that killed him be in prison longer than they would have otherwise? and/or cost the already stretched system more? POSSIBLY IF THEY CATCH HIM

hmmm 200 children abused. I think it's a fabulous thing that this guy is dead. the joy is because e a good thing has happened.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Chris Bass wrote:
    bradsbeard wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

will killing him make any children safer? no
    will killing him be likely to stop anyone else doing something similar? no
    Did the person that killed him do a good thing? no
    Will the person that killed him be in prison longer than they would have otherwise? and/or cost the already stretched system more? yes

I would save yourself some suffering. It's too big a leap for people who believe in capital punishment, to realise that revenge isn't justice. To realise, that there is no justice, and that these crimes, are all our responsibilty in some way. It's our society, we are in it, we can change it.

The creation of monsters and evil are just ways of absconding that responsibilty.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • chris_bass
    Chris Bass wrote:
    bradsbeard wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

will killing him be likely to stop anyone else doing something similar? MAYBE and so what anyway
    Will the person that killed him be in prison longer than they would have otherwise? and/or cost the already stretched system more? POSSIBLY IF THEY CATCH HIM

hmmm 200 children abused. I think it's a fabulous thing that this guy is dead. the joy is because e a good thing has happened.

If you think that any of this whole situation is a "good thing" you are a very twisted individual.
  • chris_bass
    meursault wrote:
    I would save yourself some suffering. It's too big a leap for people who believe in capital punishment, to realise that revenge isn't justice. To realise, that there is no justice, and that these crimes, are all our responsibilty in some way. It's our society, we are in it, we can change it.

The creation of monsters and evil are just ways of absconding that responsibilty.

I agree 100% - i am not really arguing with them because i think i'll make them change their mind, just trying to show them that maybe killing a bad man doesn't make the bad he did go away or bad any less likely in the future.

I wonder what crime the guy that killed him did - maybe they think he too should be killed? let's just kill them all and be done with it!
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    meursault wrote:

I agree 100% - i am not really arguing with them because i think i'll make them change their mind, just trying to show them that maybe killing a bad man doesn't make the bad he did go away or bad any less likely in the future.

I wonder what crime the guy that killed him did - maybe they think he too should be killed? let's just kill them all and be done with it!

So you think its society to blame for the paedos? you're absolving him of responsibility or are you suggesting that were all responsible for his crimes? well everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose. Perhaps you'd like to tell the victims of this sort of thing that they're not really victims, its just a feature of society.

I find it amazing that people would come here and say that this paedophile wasn't really responsible for his crimes. More feeble minded liberalism.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Good. This should happen more. It would save the system the alleged £1million to carry out a death sentence. Don’t even need an expensive knife.

Two birds, one stone. Psychos get their killing fix and nasty perves stop draining prison resources. Job done.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    The problem with the death penalty is that
    a) it's far more costly than actually putting someone in prison (to the tune of over $1m per inmate)
    '

I think that statement needs some backing i.e. source, explanation before I can accept it.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    bradsbeard wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

If you think that any of this whole situation is a "good thing" you are a very twisted individual.

Another one here who can be accused of being "a very twisted individual".
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    lesfirth wrote:
    '

I think that statement needs some backing i.e. source, explanation before I can accept it.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/documen ... enalty.pdf
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    '

But were not in America and anyway i thibk this way is a cheaper and satisfying way to deal with people like this.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    rjsterry wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    '

But were not in America and anyway i thibk this way is a cheaper and satisfying way to deal with people like this.

I think it's important that our justice system is based around what some guy reckons. Rather than what is best at hopefully minimising these crimes happening...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Jez mon wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    '

I think it's important that our justice system is based around what some guy reckons. Rather than what is best at hopefully minimising these crimes happening...

I suspect its not just me that reckons he got his cumuppamce
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Whilst he may have got his come uppance as some seem to believe. I do question what risk the killer poses if he gets out of jail. We have taught him that killing someone appears to have no consequence. Maybe he is a maniac on a life tariff but then maybe he is not.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    '

And we don't have the death penalty but that's irrelevant because the question was about backing up the fact that death penalty costs more than locking them up. Since you have to look at countries with the death penalty to study that then looking at America makes sense.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    lesfirth wrote:
    '

And we don't have the death penalty but that's irrelevant because the question was about backing up the fact that death penalty costs more than locking them up. Since you have to look at countries with the death penalty to study that then looking at America makes sense.

I suppose, but by the same token we ahould look at japan or belarus where theyve killed hundreds. They dont publish the costs but i bet its not a million pounds.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I would assume that our legal system was closer to the USA than to Japan and Belarus though...

Interestly, had he been caught and tried in Malaysia, he could have been facing the death penalty.

Ultimately any extra money you spend on the death penalty has got to come from somewhere, and it's surely better spent on tracking down offenders before they become serial offenders...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Well it appears that no more taxpayers money is going to be spent feeding him at least.
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    I'll just leave this here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley_case

The Death sentence is was wrong, is wrong and will always be wrong.

Killing people in the way the victim here was killed is also wrong and yes, he was the victim of a crime. The fact he was a nasty piece of work does not make that any less true and the killer should remain behind bars for the rest of their life once convicted of the crime.