Support vehicles fuel

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited October 2019 in Pro race
Probably a stupid question ...

Does any team use electric vehicles during races? Or is the range just not there?
I suppose they'd have overnight recharging issues on stage races too..

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Slowbike wrote:
    Probably a stupid question ...

Does any team use electric vehicles during races? Or is the range just not there?
    I suppose they'd have overnight recharging issues on stage races too..

The range would be fine at road limit speed, no problem. Bearing in mind they are travelling relatively slowly compared to this, they could probably get a couple of days before charges.

I don't know whether any teams currently use them.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Arctic Race of Norway have made a big move in this direction

https://twitter.com/ArcticRaceofN/statu ... 64806?s=20
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    :) it's a start ...

which some people don't seem to get ... they seem to want the All or Nothing approach ...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Norway have so many EV's. Lots of hydro electric so electricity is cheap. Well done to the tour.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Fenix wrote:
    Norway have so many EV's. Lots of hydro electric so electricity is cheap. Well done to the tour.
    I've even had a Tesla Model S taxi a couple of times in Norway.

Was a bit disconcerting first time I went nearly getting run over by silent cars. But you get used to it.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559
    Not full electric but Toyota hybrids have been used by a number of teams for a while. I think they are also the official car for the Giro.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    dish_dash wrote:
    Not full electric but Toyota hybrids have been used by a number of teams for a while. I think they are also the official car for the Giro.
    Lots of regenerative braking on mountain descents!