Tour of Lombardy 2019 -243kms *Spoilers*

2»

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I haven't seen the race due to cycling around Nice commitments. From what I've read it looks like a repeat of just about every classic/ monument this year. Rider attacks, no one chases, rider wins. This has been the worst year i can remember for one day races.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    I haven't seen the race due to cycling around Nice commitments. From what I've read it looks like a repeat of just about every classic/ monument this year. Rider attacks, no one chases, rider wins. This has been the worst year i can remember for one day races.

In your selective reading, you must have missed the notoriously hard to please, Iain, describing it as a great race.
    If you have not seen it, best not to make such a damning comment, or else risk sounding like a dick.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pleased with that result. Valverde though? ! He continues to amaze
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    shiny black puffas and bad multi-tone denim strides

Haha words paint a thousand pictures. Is there the early season Belgian equivalent to book end the season. The grey polyester full zip cardigan over a distended torso ?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070

Bellagio by far.

Bellagio is where old people go to die, a town preserved in tourist aspic. Stay in Como, at least you'll find some authenticity there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    andyp wrote:

Bellagio by far.

Bellagio is where old people go to die, a town preserved in tourist aspic. Stay in Como, at least you'll find some authenticity there.

Meh too gritty for a holiday where it’s about being pretty.
  • ooooft that was a belter! And so endeth the season.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

In your selective reading, you must have missed the notoriously hard to please, Iain, describing it as a great race.
    If you have not seen it, best not to make such a damning comment, or else risk sounding like a dick.

I thought the Sormano climb was great too. Visually looked great - Especially as there were lots of falling leaves from the helicopter down draft.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Part of the remarkable Renaissance of Wiggins includes his repeated declaration of absolute love and admiration for Nibali. Which - along with his stated admiration for Froome as one of the all time greats - seems so strange now; as Nibbles was a bit of a berk towards Sir Brad in 2012.
    I know it’s small minded and malicious, but I always enjoy seeing Nibali dropped and pathetic.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    andyp wrote:

Bellagio by far.

:-)

I'd vote for Como too if you are cycling as you have more route choice. Bellagio is down the end of a peninsula, ok, you can take the ferries but it is faff, otherwise you've really got the Ghisallo + Muro climbs. The autumn may be ok but in high summer there is molto traffico ! Ok it is worth going just for the Ghisallo (Church and Museum)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    amrushton wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Quite fancy going to watch in next year or two and do the fondo the day after.

It's a good day out! I had a few days there when Cunego won for the third time. Did the fondo the day after. 9am start :D and just glorious. Como a great place to ride.
    Every year the whole evocative autumnal Italianess of Il Lombardia (summed up by the doleful longing for the choice bits of yet another season passing and shiny black puffas and bad multi-tone denim strides) makes me want to head out there for this week, much like I’ve done countless times for P-R and Flanders... maybe next year!
    Where would be the best base?

i got a hotel right in the centre 1 min from the start. There are 2 train stations San Giovanni (main one) and Lago which is just by the lake. The main one gets up to Mendrisio and Lugano.