Mech disc brakes on road bikes

Moonbiker
Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
edited October 2019 in Road general
I thought the would be phased out completely gradually due to tricke down of hydraulic brakes but they seem more common than they used to be for bikes around £1000 than hydraulic was a fews yrs back?

Basically hydralic brake road bikes are now more expensive?

But bugdet mtbs have hydraulic

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, it's basically down to inflation/brexit/exchange rates, £1000 is a key price point for a number of reasons and hydraulic road systems carry a hefty premium, and competition on price is limited to the big three, and campags entry level hydraulic potenza system costs nearly a grand just for the group.... and fundamentally mechanical disk brakes are still cheaper to make and supply.

On mountain bikes the brakes are usually a completely separate component to the gears, so there's much more competition on brake system pricing, plus obviously the market is much more mature, and it's easier to make a lever that is just a brake lever and not a shifter too.

The closest thing to that competition you have is the old TRP parabox/hyrd brakes and the newer Giant Conduct, which for fairly obvious reasons you don't see on other company's bikes although is pretty cheap to retrofit yourself (if a pig to setup).

Still, with an eye for a bargain you can fairly easily build yourself a hydraulic road bike for under a grand, you can now find shimano hydraulic shifters & brakes for a couple of hundred quid, especially if you go back to the older systems, or if you get lucky you manage to pick up the R7020 groupset on wiggle for £350....
  • One of my road bikes, bought 4 years ago, came in at £1k with mechanical disc brakes or £1.4k with hydraulic ones.

Not once have I regretted going for the latter.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've just gone hydro on the commute bike and had to put tyres on with a bit of grip as the old ones were easy to slide with TRP Hy:Rd callipers.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.