Things you have recently learnt

Comments

• What *is* young round here anyway? I'm 32, partner is 28 and we definitely feel like part of the young team in our club.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Poptart242 wrote:
    What *is* young round here anyway? I'm 32, partner is 28 and we definitely feel like part of the young team in our club.

28 on Tuesday next week. OH is 26 but she doesn't like bikes.
  • Strewth. I've been married longer than that.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm wondering when the "Mid life crisis" is supposed to take place ...
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Slowbike wrote:

I've been talking a lot about buying a Porsche if that helps? Getting married next year so it might be a subconscious think to scupper it before it happens...
  • slowbike
    HaydenM wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I've been talking a lot about buying a Porsche if that helps? Getting married next year so it might be a subconscious think to scupper it before it happens...
    Ah - I've left it a little too late then ....
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Slowbike wrote:
    Whenever you like if it's an excuse to buy a fast car. The explanation that you have more than one mid-life crisis doent really wash though :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Slowbike wrote:

Have you started to consider an expensive bike and thought "why not, I've earned it"?
  • slowbike
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Whenever you like if it's an excuse to buy a fast car. The explanation that you have more than one mid-life crisis doent really wash though :)
    We had a fast car when I was in my 20's ... colleagues laughed at me and called it a hair dressers car ... then I gave them a "spin" in it .... (one at a time - 2 seater sports car)
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

Have you started to consider an expensive bike and thought "why not, I've earned it"?

hmm - yes - well - some expensive wheels would be a good start ...
    At the moment, my son is going through bikes faster than me ... he's on his 4th bike and he's not 5 yet ...
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited October 2019
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    During an interview with Andrew Neil an XR spokeswoman revealed that banning literally all air travel would reduce global temperatures by 0.003°C.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pO1TTcETyuU

Changes in behaviour might not decrease temperature but may reduce the rate of increase. If we carry on as at present, what is the contribution of air travel to the predicted increase in global temperature?

I don't know. What I do know is that when pressed on the scientific basis for their claims of a doomsday scenario and billions of deaths, the XR spokeswoman had to admit there was no consensus amongst climate scientists to support their position. Quite the contrary in fact. Did you watch the interview? Andrew Neil completely eviscerated her.
  • Slowbike wrote:

Current mid-life crisis involves moving out to the country, bringing the horse up from home, buying a 4x4 specifically to enable the first two, and getting married.

Oh and a dog.

The expensive bikes bit of a mid-life crisis is quite hard, because the OH also cycles and thus I can't lie to her about how much stuff costs...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Slowbike wrote:
    What age do you expect to live to?
    Half it... :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    keef66 wrote:
    The other fun game to play is to project your age backwards from your year of birth, to give you a perspective on timescales... I'd now go back to 1909. Hmm.

1895 :shock:
    Impressive... I wonder who can beat that here...

:shock: might 'av' got da maffs a bit wrong innit
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    orraloon wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    The other fun game to play is to project your age backwards from your year of birth, to give you a perspective on timescales... I'd now go back to 1909. Hmm.

1895 :shock:
    Impressive... I wonder who can beat that here...

:shock: might 'av' got da maffs a bit wrong innit

That would make you 97 and a half years old.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    Well. Facebook thought I was 99 until I got fed up with all the financial scam ads and made myself 13, the minimum allowed. Financial scams stopped, now is clothing and colleges.

Edit to add. Seeing somewhat worrying USAnian origin evangelist Christian fundamentalist ads cropping up. Targeting me as a self defined early teenager. This Fbook sh1t is pretty worrying really; clearly their business model is sell your personal data / stats to whoever and take the advertising revenue with zero filter on dodgy. What a fxxxed up world we live in.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    how fast you have to run to do a marathon in 2 hours

https://youtu.be/Ds21U7coQzI

and someone is trying to do it!! yikes!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Chris Bass wrote:

At the age of 18 (ISH) I had done a little bit of distance running and decided to go out onto the track to run a 5 min mile. I was an OK runner (compared to the normal population, but nowhere on a competitive scale) and thought this would be perfectly achievable. Managed 1200 metres at the right place before blowing completely.
    Now with some specific training, I probably could have got there but that would have been pretty much the limit of my abilities.
    A 2 hour marathon is running at sub 4:35 minute miles which is simply staggering.
  • Wont count as a new world record sadly. 7:15 tomorrow morning.
  • morstar wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

At the age of 18 (ISH) I had done a little bit of distance running and decided to go out onto the track to run a 5 min mile. I was an OK runner (compared to the normal population, but nowhere on a competitive scale) and thought this would be perfectly achievable. Managed 1200 metres at the right place before blowing completely.
    Now with some specific training, I probably could have got there but that would have been pretty much the limit of my abilities.
    A 2 hour marathon is running at sub 4:35 minute miles which is simply staggering.

Many people could not do that on a bike
  • Chris Bass wrote:

Why do people on Youtube feel the need to make videos of themselves talking about other people's effort? *gets off soapbox*

Anyway, here's the link to the Ineos 1:59 Challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrc3XC ... ZUVVvn15jQ

His starting at 7:15am tomorrow UK time, well him and his 36 pace setters. I've been looking forward to it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I fully expect a 3rd mid-life crisis. In fact, i'm looking forward to it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Alejandro's dog is a b!tch.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Lady Gaga named herself after the Queen hit Radio Gaga.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    mr_goo said:

Lady Gaga named herself after the Queen hit Radio Gaga.

Radio Lady would have been more descriptive!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    That a 70m diameter receiver can detect a signal from a 22.4W transmitter over a distance of 2bn miles. B)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Teen Spirit as in Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a deodorant
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • orraloon
    That my lookalike is some sort of lowlife scumbag. In gym this morning, got chatting with this guy, one of the regulars, who informed me that I am the spitting image of someone with whom he has had past bad dealings and that several other regular gym goers are on the lookout for this character for to give 'im a seeing to.

Interestingly and marginally concerning, this lowlife has the same first name as me and drives a similar 4x4 pickup... However has a Lahndahn accent. So if the circumstances dictate and odd looks develop into "'ere mate, we wanna word" my Scots accent may yet save me.

The bloke I was chatting with has impaired vision so it could all be total bollox.
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Recently learned that I suffer with tryptohobia. had no idea it was called that.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    forehead said:

Recently learned that I suffer with tryptohobia. had no idea it was called that.

That sucks a hole lot