PowerMeter/ Garmin 510 calibration

paddy_pumpkin
paddy_pumpkin Posts: 33
edited October 2019 in Road general
I have an Avio Powersense. So far all seems good. I fitted it and calibrated it with weights etc. All went according to instructions

On my Garmin Edge 510 when I pair the Avio with the Garmin there is a button to calibrate. The power I see on my garmin and cadence all seem sensible

So if I press the calibrate button on my Garmin what am I doing and what am I calibrating?

Comments

• Power meters are affected by temperature and humidity to name but two. By calibrating at the start of every ride you are setting the PM to read zero with no pressure on the pedal so it will be a accurate as it can be. Think of it like kitchen scales, before you weigh some food you set the scales to read zero, same with the PM. Remember with the Avio to have the crank in the 6 o'clock position when you calibrate.
  • Thanks that makes perfect sense. How does the differ to a zero offset that I can do on the Avio Installer app? Avio recommends a zero offset before every ride.

Should I be doing both a zero offset on the app and a calibration on my Garmin?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Thanks that makes perfect sense. How does the differ to a zero offset that I can do on the Avio Installer app? Avio recommends a zero offset before every ride.
    It is the same thing.
    Should I be doing both a zero offset on the app and a calibration on my Garmin?
    You don't need to do it via the app and via the Garmin. Doing it on one device is enough.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    yep, as above - the zero offset calibrates the powermeter itself to make sure it broadcasts the correct values (like when you zero a kitchen scale) - the powermeter broadcasts power so all devices will get the same values (to carry on the scale analogy - once it has been zerod and then something is placed on it if two people look at the display they will see the same weight displayed even though only one of them pressed the zero button originally)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes