Re-using Eagle 12 speed Powerlink

dabber
dabber Posts: 1,924
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
A regular question on 10/11speed KMC (and other) Quicklinks is whether they can be re-used. I use 11 speed Quicklinks on my road bikes and I do re-use them , not excessively and I always use a new one when I replace a chain. Never had a problem.
I've recently bought a MTB with Eagle SX 12 speed and wondered what the collective wisdom on re-using the Powerlink.
I understand the official view is single use only.
“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut

Comments

• Re used mine a couple of times after fitting a new mech, then realising I’d screwed up the chain routing through it. Still fine.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • dabber
    Thanks for the feedback Tom.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I have always re-used powerlinks and I've had no problems with 9, 10, 11, or 12-speed links. But when the chain is replaced, so is the powerlink! The old link goes in my backpack for emergencies (mine or someone else's).

I say that "single use" means per chain, not per connection. :)
  • dabber
    I have always re-used powerlinks and I've had no problems with 9, 10, 11, or 12-speed links. But when the chain is replaced, so is the powerlink! The old link goes in my backpack for emergencies (mine or someone else's).

Thanks Steve. That's always been basically my philosophy as well but wasn't sure regarding the 12's.

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Dabber wrote:

Thanks Steve. That's always been basically my philosophy as well but wasn't sure regarding the 12's.

If you don't have one already, you will need a proper pair of pliers to remove the powerlinks. I could remove 9-speed powerlinks by hand and struggled with 10-speed but I failed to find a reliable method of removing 11 or 12-speed powerlinks other than with special pliers. Cost about £10. They will remove any speed of link and it takes a few seconds to remove a powerlink.
  • dabber
    Dabber wrote:

If you don't have one already, you will need a proper pair of pliers to remove the powerlinks. I could remove 9-speed powerlinks by hand and struggled with 10-speed but I failed to find a reliable method of removing 11 or 12-speed powerlinks other than with special pliers. Cost about £10. They will remove any speed of link and it takes a few seconds to remove a powerlink.

Thanks Steve. Yes, I've got a pair of those. Very useful.