Where to park in london on saturday

darkhairedlord
darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
Ok, mrs dhl and dhl clones want to visit the smoke on saturday, taking in science museum, big Ben, lego shop, etc. Its my boys 8th birthday treat so cant bail.
Where can I park near a tube station on a saturday? Will be coming in on the M3.

Comments

• Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Ok, mrs dhl and dhl clones want to visit the smoke on saturday, taking
    in science museum, big Ben, lego shop, etc. Its my boys 8th birthday treat so cant bail.
    Where can I park near a tube station on a saturday? Will be coming in on the M3.

From how far out? To be honest you'd be as well off parking up in somewhere like Woking and getting the train to Waterloo and tubing from there - using a Travelcard.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Train it.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Longshot wrote:
    Ok, mrs dhl and dhl clones want to visit the smoke on saturday, taking
    in science museum, big Ben, lego shop, etc. Its my boys 8th birthday treat so cant bail.

From how far out? To be honest you'd be as well off parking up in somewhere like Woking and getting the train to Waterloo and tubing from there - using a Travelcard.

Best idea. Trains from Woking to Waterloo are very quick, far quicker than driving further and parking closer to London. I think they only stop at Clapham Junction.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Park at the NCP in Richmond. The rail/tube station is right by it.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Can you still use your debit card for tube travel in Central Lunnun with a max charge of something like £7 per day for unlimited travel on Saturdays?
  • I tend to drive in when I go to the natural history museum. I can usually find on street parking there and with a carload of young people its far more convenient and not a to in it cost wise to public transport.

Imperial university have parking at the back of the science museum too. Are you sure the extinction facists aren't going to be making a pain of themselves this weekend?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Nowadays, I park around Hammersmith using Just Park and get the tube from there. Outside the charging zones so the parking is effectively 'free'.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    Nowadays, I park around Hammersmith using Just Park and get the tube from there. Outside the charging zones so the parking is effectively 'free'.

Came here to recommend JustPark, it's a brilliant app. If there are a few of you and you have shopping, personally I'd suggest driving into town. It's not a popular opinion but it is convenient as long as you don't get stressed by moving slowly.
  • Thanks all. we're travelling from bournemouth and as usual network rail are doing replacement bus services on part of the route plus super pricey for four. Coach would be ok but doesn't get us home until about 11:00pm so not good for a 7yr old. NCP at Richmond sounds good. I did see that westfields is close to an underground or is that going to be a real pain to park at then get to the underground?
    How does underground work for kids, I know i can use my debit card for me as can mrs, do they get charged too?
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    I work round the corner from Westfield, it's a very short walk to wood lane tube station and I think parking is around a fiver for the whole day.
    There's also a lego store

Kids are free on the tube, just go through the disabled access door things at the station rather than the turnstiles.

The road up from shepherds bush is closed just before the car park at the moment because of a burst water main, so you have to come in from the north to get into the car park.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I tend to drive in when I go to the natural history museum. I can usually find on street parking there and with a carload of young people its far more convenient and not a to in it cost wise to public transport.

Imperial university have parking at the back of the science museum too. Are you sure the extinction facists aren't going to be making a pain of themselves this weekend?

Yes last time I visited I did the same.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Thanks all. we're travelling from bournemouth and as usual network rail are doing replacement bus services on part of the route plus super pricey for four. Coach would be ok but doesn't get us home until about 11:00pm so not good for a 7yr old. NCP at Richmond sounds good. I did see that westfields is close to an underground or is that going to be a real pain to park at then get to the underground?
    How does underground work for kids, I know i can use my debit card for me as can mrs, do they get charged too?

The Richmond train takes an age (and parking is expensive) think the train from Woking is quicker timewise and you can park in Hill View Road for free.

Or Chiswick is another option, with free parking in Sutton Court Road, just north west of station.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    i usually drive to Osterley. Parking there on a Saturday is dirt cheap, the Tube can get a bit busy with people travelling from Heathrow with massive cases though. Not sure how convenient that is from your direction though. Maybe something similar around Kew?
  • Thanks all. I did look at woking but by the time I factor in train and tube it starts getting pricey. Chiswick sounds reasonable so might investigate that. Wrt parking by imperial, is it pricey on a Saturday? I would prefer to go on a sunday but the EPO says no.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    See what weekend rates you can get in an NCP or similar nearby.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Thanks all. I did look at woking but by the time I factor in train and tube it starts getting pricey. Chiswick sounds reasonable so might investigate that. Wrt parking by imperial, is it pricey on a Saturday? I would prefer to go on a sunday but the EPO says no.

I can't remember exactly, but as im conscious of budgets, it must have been the least worse option.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    In the past I've parked at Finchley (Park or Central? can't recall now). Used to drive down from the Midlands and then pick up a family tube ticket for the day, there was a parking charge at the station, about £4 twenty years ago :)

I've used "Just Park" or similar more recently, when I was doing the RideLondon. Can be very reasonable if you can find one, and you're usually on someones drive.

The older I get, the better I was.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    With the qualification that I don't drive and don't know the area, I would have thought that you could park on a residential road vaguely nearby. Failing that. Note two adults making two tube journeys will cost around £10, so you may prefer an expensive car park such as the one below.

http://www.unioncarparks.co.uk/harrington-road-sw7.html

Plus there are apps for this sort of thing.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    There's quite a bit of on-street parking on Queensgate (runs parallel with Exhibition Road) and the road to the West of that and in those areas it's only charged between 8.30 and 13.30. However the hourly rate is quite high. However, the charging times east of that road are up to 18.30 and the hourly rate is also higher.

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/parking-transpo ... nd-display
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    I've booked one mayfair for 12.95, 12hrs weekend rate. Job jobbed. Tfl pain in the Harris give free travel for my boy but my daughter is 11 so has to buy a effing day travel card. She is only discounted if she has an oyster card 11-15 photo card.
  • sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I've booked one mayfair for 12.95, 12hrs weekend rate. Job jobbed. Tfl pain in the Harris give free travel for my boy but my daughter is 11 so has to buy a effing day travel card. She is only discounted if she has an oyster card 11-15 photo card.

Have fun!
  • Thanks for everyone's help on this, hopefully the kids wont mind if it rains all day.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Thanks for everyone's help on this, hopefully the kids wont mind if it rains all day.
    Enjoy The Big Smoke DHL - or should that be The Big Drizzle?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Thanks for everyone's help on this, hopefully the kids wont mind if it rains all day.
    I have discovered Londoners are incapable of operating an umbrella
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I have discovered Londoners are incapable of operating an umbrella

Where are there competent users of umbrellas?