Assos Habu or Castelli Alpha ROS jersey

fthughes
fthughes Posts: 14
edited October 2019 in Road buying advice
Looking to get an autumn/winter/spring jersey and narrowed it down to the Assos Habu or the Apha ROS ( the lighter one ) I tend to run hot but will not ride in freezing conditions for fear or ice so will be looking at temps of 2 or 3 and above. Anyone have experience of both these ?

Comments

• Why be a baller.... DHB roubaix and gilet will see you through the temps you mention and save £££

Oh I sound like MF
  • Rollemynot wrote:
    Why be a baller.... DHB roubaix and gilet will see you through the temps you mention and save £££

Oh I sound like MF

Jersey and gilet doesn't work for me at the lower temps....cold arms
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Add a pair of arm warmers then, still cheaper...

I wear a thermal (long sleeve base layer), currently an Under Armour Cold Gear top, with a summer jersey over the top. This does me down to single digits, then I will add a gilet with a windproof front. When it gets close to zero I may add arm warmers over the top of the base layer sleeves, but quite rarely really.

I will carry a very thin, packable jacket (not waterproof) and put that on if I start to get cold. I have given up on trying to keep my top half dry, I accept I will get wet either from rain or sweat, the key being keeping out the windchill - I’ll ride a bit harder to keep the heart rate up if I get chilly.

PP
  • Have the Castelli Alpha. Great bit of kit, wear it pretty much from Nov-March as it suits a range of temps for me from around 4-12 degrees. Only slight criticism is that the water repellancy seems to wear off after a few washes but 20mins on cool tumble dry seems to refresh the DWR treatment.
  • Title was pretty specific, not interested in getting 101 different recommendations, as I've said it's been narrowed down to a Habu or an Alpha.
  • Have the Castelli Alpha. Great bit of kit, wear it pretty much from Nov-March as it suits a range of temps for me from around 4-12 degrees. Only slight criticism is that the water repellancy seems to wear off after a few washes but 20mins on cool tumble dry seems to refresh the DWR treatment.
    Excellent. Im pretty much assured that the Alpha is a great piece of kit that I would be happy with. I like the look of it better than the Habu, but the fit of the Habu is for me a little better. Hoping someone has both and can compare to help me decide.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I can only add that I've been very happy with my jacket version of the Alpha ROS. Very clever bit of kit, managing to be Warm, windproof, water repellent and breathable, and the fit on the bike is very good too.

Down to about 10c it's fine on its own, down to 5c just a SS baselayer, and below 5c a LS base.

I'm more of a leisurely rider these days so I don't run too hot; for a younger racing snake I can imagine the jersey version would be the more useful garment
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    fthughes wrote:
    Title was pretty specific, not interested in getting 101 different recommendations, as I've said it's been narrowed down to a Habu or an Alpha.

Sorry for trying to offer a solution to your ‘cold arms comment’. :roll: I would suggest either jacket then as they both have sleeves...

PP
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Have the Castelli Alpha. Great bit of kit, wear it pretty much from Nov-March as it suits a range of temps for me from around 4-12 degrees. Only slight criticism is that the water repellancy seems to wear off after a few washes but 20mins on cool tumble dry seems to refresh the DWR treatment.

Could have written this myself. Mine is the older Alpha jersey not the Ros but I wouldn't be without mine and like others have said just change the base layer to match the temperature. 13C is the warmest I can wear it with only a string vest type BL but I have worn it on frosty mornings with a merino LS BL and it's been great.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Slightly different things, but also quite similar.

I've owned both, and am a huge fan of the Alpha. On the face of it the Habu should be warmer. But, in practice, the Alpha often is. It's also a very very good rain jacket, gives in in the end of course.

But, the Habu is a very good price at Merlin. At a reduced price, the Habu. If you can get the Alpha down to something similar, that.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Slightly different things, but also quite similar.

I've owned both, and am a huge fan of the Alpha. On the face of it the Habu should be warmer. But, in practice, the Alpha often is. It's also a very very good rain jacket, gives in in the end of course.

But, the Habu is a very good price at Merlin. At a reduced price, the Habu. If you can get the Alpha down to something similar, that.

I thought that they would be quite similar but without the ability to road test I thought I would ask on here if anyone had both. Things Im interested in
    - lets say with l/s UA Coldgear base would both be comfortable at about 2 or 3 C
    - with s/s/ string base which could be worn comfortably at higher temps ( guess im trying to find out which has widest range )
    - both similar windproofing ?
    - similar protection in showers ?

last but not least, most comfortable to wear
  • handful wrote:
    Have the Castelli Alpha. Great bit of kit, wear it pretty much from Nov-March as it suits a range of temps for me from around 4-12 degrees. Only slight criticism is that the water repellancy seems to wear off after a few washes but 20mins on cool tumble dry seems to refresh the DWR treatment.

Could have written this myself. Mine is the older Alpha jersey not the Ros but I wouldn't be without mine and like others have said just change the base layer to match the temperature. 13C is the warmest I can wear it with only a string vest type BL but I have worn it on frosty mornings with a merino LS BL and it's been great.

Good info, seems to have a good range of temps you can wear it in.
  • The alpha is definitely more comfortable and has a better range of temperatures.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I went in a store to buy the alpha today, the assistant talked me out of it as he said it’s just a perfetto with an internal gilet.. they had both in stock so i didn’t sense it was financial. We discussed them for about half an hour and it would seem from his view as an owner, that you get much better flexibility from the perfetto with a variety of base layers than the jacket as above 6-7 degrees it’s just too hot.

I think I’m going to go for the perfetto rather than the alpha.. just food for thought
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    you get much better flexibility from the perfetto with a variety of base layers than the jacket as above 6-7 degrees it’s just too hot.

I think I’m going to go for the perfetto rather than the alpha.. just food for thought

Er, that's why they also have the alpha jersey!

Sounds like you were speaking to a moron. I mean you could say that a summer jersey is warm enough for the coldest days if you wear multiple layers underneath! :roll:
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I went in a store to buy the alpha today, the assistant talked me out of it as he said it’s just a perfetto with an internal gilet.. they had both in stock so i didn’t sense it was financial. We discussed them for about half an hour and it would seem from his view as an owner, that you get much better flexibility from the perfetto with a variety of base layers than the jacket as above 6-7 degrees it’s just too hot.

That advice is nonsense: there is no insulation in a Perfetto, and you can get cold if you need to stop for any length of time. I have 2 Alpha jackets, 2 Alpha Jerseys, a Perfetto and an old long sleeve Gabba, and the Alpha Jackets are what I turn to when it’s below 10 degrees. The jerseys get worn when its a bit warmer, but I really only use the Perfetto/Gabba for shorter rides or under my Idro rain jacket if I’m starting a ride in the rain.