BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Won't someone please think of Nigel Farage's children.
    He has kids?

Poor things ... can they get their name changed or put themselves up for adoption?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    Slowbike wrote:
    He has kids?

Poor things ... can they get their name changed or put themselves up for adoption?
    They're the ones with dual nationality... yup, they are EU citizens, thanks to their German mother.
  • But didn't we win 2 world wars etc etc.....
  • Slowbike wrote:
    He has kids?

They're the ones with dual nationality... yup, they are EU citizens, thanks to their German mother.
    Good luck visiting the kids when then refuse visa.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Slowbike wrote:
    He has kids?

Good luck visiting the kids when then refuse visa.

Lucky Kids.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Slowbike wrote:
    He has kids?

Takes the 'embarassing father' persona to previously unseen levels.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    This is an interesting proposal by a former advisor.

https://www.politico.eu/article/opinion ... otiations/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    TheBigBean wrote:

Interesting. I heard someone else talking about two Customs Unions the other day, so a few people are thinking similar things. Also needs Johnson to be interested in getting a deal, of which I am far from convinced. Judging by the Buzzfeed report I saw trailed, there is debate within no. 10 as to whether Leaving is the goal or a 5 year term.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Rowena Mason
    (@rowenamason)
    Damian Green, leader of the One Nation caucus of MPs, says Boris Johnson told him at meeting:
    - he will not go into election promising no deal Brexit
    - he will not make a pact with Nigel Farage.
    "We looked each other in the eye. I accept and believe the reassurances," says Green

October 9, 2019

Perhaps this should be in the intriguing thread, but what makes people think that just looking someone in the eye allows you to determine whether they are lying? Especially someone so practised in the art.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Interesting. I heard someone else talking about two Customs Unions the other day, so a few people are thinking similar things. Also needs Johnson to be interested in getting a deal, of which I am far from convinced. Judging by the Buzzfeed report I saw trailed, there is debate within no. 10 as to whether Leaving is the goal or a 5 year term.

It needs all parties to be interested in getting a deal - note it also requires compromise from Ireland. For what it is worth, I think Boris would like a 5 year term and widespread adulation, and he thinks the best way to achieve this is getting a good deal with the EU.
  • silvers
    silvers Posts: 16
    I'd be surprised if the kids who I saw do that had reformed their opinions much since being a kid.

Generally I think the mentality in the leave poster is a lot more widespread that people care to admit. If you look at general brexiteer chat, which is not exclusive to a bunch of politicians or talking heads, it's a fairly logical step to the leave poster.

First hand experience myself - My mother was German (actively looking to get her citizenship back now in her eighties). I also went to a school with c. 50% Jewish pupils. As a group I think we were pretty tame .... gentle insults and tribes were mainly yiddos and yoks.

As well as riding road bikes I'm also a coarse angler. I participate in a fishing forum where the casual xenophobia would shock most on here. The people on there make Coopster look like the epitome of rational thought. it is an indictment of education levels in this country in the 70s and 80s - as most of these people I'm referring to are my age or older.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Not so much education, casual racism was rife in the 70s. B&W Minstrels, Love Thy Neighbour... No attempt to justify it, but it was different times.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

It needs all parties to be interested in getting a deal - note it also requires compromise from Ireland. For what it is worth, I think Boris would like a 5 year term and widespread adulation, and he thinks the best way to achieve this is getting a good deal with the EU.
    Trouble is he's hired someone who wants to leave the EU and thinks Johnson as PM is the best way to achieve this.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• PBlakeney wrote:
    Not so much education, casual racism was rife in the 70s. B&W Minstrels, Love Thy Neighbour... No attempt to justify it, but it was different times.
    Even with its overt language Love Thy Neighbour set out to highlight the stupidity of racism and discrimination much like Til Death Us Do Part but its brutal nature means it attracted an undesired audience and is remembered for all the wrong reasons.

I'd probably add Mind Your Language, with its racial stereotypes, to those things people causally laughed at back then.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.
    And designed to disgust. Peter Foster retweeted it yesterday to describe his disgust, and then realised he'd fallen for Leave.EU's tactic and was spreading their publicity as much as a supporter.

I have to say I found the surprise quite annoying.

Anyone who's been near a football match or at a normal school will know that kind of chat is common.

Take it with a wheelbarrow of salt, but it *seems* that Leave.EU have actually acknowledged that their ad was wrong.

Also it seems to have prompted some Leavers to reflect on whether it's all gone too far.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdrianYallan ... 7427404800
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    A critique of Raoul Ruparel's ideas on an alternative to the backstop.

https://mobile.twitter.com/pmdfoster/st ... 0150693888
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.
    And designed to disgust. Peter Foster retweeted it yesterday to describe his disgust, and then realised he'd fallen for Leave.EU's tactic and was spreading their publicity as much as a supporter.

Anyone who's been near a football match or at a normal school will know that kind of chat is common.

Take it with a wheelbarrow of salt, but it *seems* that Leave.EU have actually acknowledged that their ad was wrong.

Also it seems to have prompted some Leavers to reflect on whether it's all gone too far.

And the top reply to Yalland, some guy claiming the EU are making a law so we(?) can't call them names.

They just keep making up sh1t for their campaign of hate. Politics doesn't come into it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,690
    The Telegraph today is full of references to 'Clean-Break Brexit'... seems like that's being pushed hard to camouflage the absolute clusterfvck that it would entail... as if there would be anything 'clean' about it... yeah, right. Clusterfvck Brexit, more like.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Disgusting.

And the top reply to Yalland, some guy claiming the EU are making a law so we(?) can't call them names.

They just keep making up sh1t for their campaign of hate. Politics doesn't come into it.

Couldn't see that one, but interestingly quite a lot of positive comments from other Leavers.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:

Bit of an all-too-hard kind of critique although he wins bonus points for pointing out that Barnier is potentially part of the problem.
  • TheBigBean
    I was reading today somewhere some analysis on how various comments about a no deal impact people's voting intentions. Apparently

Food/medicine shortage -> increases no deal appeal
    It is not what people voted for -> decreases no deal appeal

Therfore, to increase the acceptability of no deal the government needs to portray it as the only option, and therefore it is what people voted for. The BoJo/Merkel call helps with this.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Bit of an all-too-hard kind of critique although he wins bonus points for pointing out that Barnier is potentially part of the problem.

Possibly, although if you are going to make something like that work you need to have an answer to each of the pitfalls and one more substantial than "think positive". For starters how are the DUP going to be dealt with when their shiny new veto is taken away? Persuade or bypass? Once you have an answer to at least the majority of the points raised then it starts to look more realistic.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• today I came home to find an EU citizen rifling my draws in my bedroom. Apparently there is a limit to my physical response.

The sooner these immigrant scum are kicked out the better
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I was reading today somewhere some analysis on how various comments about a no deal impact people's voting intentions. Apparently

Therfore, to increase the acceptability of no deal the government needs to portray it as the only option, and therefore it is what people voted for. The BoJo/Merkel call helps with this.

Bizarre but believable. Presumably if Labour want to stand a chance they need to put across a clear and achievable alternative way of leaving. I'll not hold my breath.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    today I came home to find an EU citizen rifling my draws in my bedroom. Apparently there is a limit to my physical response.

No comprende? Was ist? Qu'est-ce que c'est vous dites "draws"? Are you some sort of amateur scribbler?
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Possibly, although if you are going to make something like that work you need to have an answer to each of the pitfalls and one more substantial than "think positive". For starters how are the DUP going to be dealt with when their shiny new veto is taken away? Persuade or bypass? Once you have an answer to at least the majority of the points raised then it starts to look more realistic.

I would imagine the hope would be that the DUP would abstain. There would be enough labour MPs to get it through. It is not as outrageous a proposal for the DUP as most of the previous proposals e.g. NI only backstop.

To a certain extent "think positive" is precisely what is needed about a proposal from all sides.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Bizarre but believable. Presumably if Labour want to stand a chance they need to put across a clear and achievable alternative way of leaving. I'll not hold my breath.

Labour has been losing the war while winning all the battles for some time. The problem they have is there is no move they can make that will appeal to voters. Cummings/BoJo have known this since the summer and planned accordingly.

"Project fear" just brings out the rebellious nature in people. "Is it fair" makes them actually think about it.
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I would imagine the hope would be that the DUP would abstain. There would be enough labour MPs to get it through. It is not as outrageous a proposal for the DUP as most of the previous proposals e.g. NI only backstop.

To a certain extent "think positive" is precisely what is needed about a proposal from all sides.

Of course but it needs to be underpinned by something.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    today I came home to find an EU citizen rifling my drawERs in my bedroom. Apparently there is a limit to my physical response.

FTFY. One wonders if the immigrant scum can spell. You also missed out the capital T and a full stop. Plus there are too many uses of the attributive adjective. Must try harder. :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:
    Rowena Mason
    (@rowenamason)
    Damian Green, leader of the One Nation caucus of MPs, says Boris Johnson told him at meeting:
    - he will not go into election promising no deal Brexit
    - he will not make a pact with Nigel Farage.
    "We looked each other in the eye. I accept and believe the reassurances," says Green

October 9, 2019

Perhaps this should be in the intriguing thread, but what makes people think that just looking someone in the eye allows you to determine whether they are lying? Especially someone so practised in the art.
    Oh, Damian. It appears the PM just said what you wanted to hear.

Nicholas Watt reporting that no. 10 sources saying no deal could be manifesto policy.
    Pinnacle Monzonite