Corrosion on Specialized Allez E5 frame

ttwy
ttwy Posts: 3
edited October 2019 in Workshop
Hi everyone,

I've been having some corrossion on my 2005 Specialized Allez Comp E5 (Columbus Aluminum) that started a few years back and has been growing/spreading.

20191004-090804.jpg
20191004-090758.jpg

I've been reading about how aluminum corrossion forms aluminum oxide that shield the alumnium underneath from this article, but I've noticed how a few layers have already seen to be corroded off. https://bicycleuniverse.com/do-aluminum-bikes-corrode/

Should I look into changing the frame (I don't have warranty on it unfortunately) or is this alright for aluminum bikes?

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    It looks like all that is flaking off is chunks of paint due to the oxidation spreading under it.
  • ttwy
    ttwy Posts: 3
    i.bhamra wrote:
    It looks like all that is flaking off is chunks of paint due to the oxidation spreading under it.

Thanks, so the structural integrity isn't affected?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Same's happening on my alu winter bike around the chainstays / BB area. Corrosion is slowly spreading under the paint and causing it to bubble up / flake off. AFAIK it's just a thin surface effect and it's still structurally sound so far. I'm not going to ignore it though; I have seen alu things disintegrate completely when salt is involved...

I plan to strip it back to bare metal / sound paint, give it a couple of coats of etching primer, try to match the existing paintwork, then clearcoat.

Yours looks like it's just clearcoated? So sand it back to bright metal / same finish as the original then give it a couple of coats of clearcoat?