Suits

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
edited October 2019 in The cake stop
I get mine made to measure - better fit obviously and you can get 2 or 3 pairs of trousers which extends the life and makes them much better vifm. Also you can choose exactly what colour/shade, style, linings etc.

There are a few independent outfits that do this for not much above your stated price range.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    richard james for me

but if you want ready made https://www.mrporter.com has a decent range of designers
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Suitsupply
  • Asda.
  • get them made though haven't for a few years as I wear them less and less.

like Steveo says, two or three pairs of trousers makes them practical daily wear.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Austin Reed red line series - narrow for my dancing snake hips, wider for my manly knicker elastic snapping hero shoulders.

ypu can buy trousers by themselves if you need them.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • You will need to google suppliers but one of my most comfortable suits is Aquascutum, well within your price range and feels great.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I'd have a look at the best shops in your nearest major city - should be able to pick something up that fits you as well as bespoke (as makes no difference anyway) and you can actually see what it looks like on rather than a roll or swatch of cloth - you can always get alterations done if needs.

Beyond that it's so long since I bought a suit (even longer since I had one made - used to buy the cloth from a mill in Leeds) I wouldn't be able to help. Of course if you have the money the process of buying bespoke is nice.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I'm still staggering from someone classing £500 - £1000 as mid range to be honest. My best suit (a dinner suit) was 'only' £400. I might be lucky in that I'm a shape that off the peg suits from High Street retailers fit me nicely. I can usually get something with a really nice fit and decent quality from Salters for £200.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Pross wrote:
    I'm still staggering from someone classing £500 - £1000 as mid range to be honest. My best suit (a dinner suit) was 'only' £400. I might be lucky in that I'm a shape that off the peg suits from High Street retailers fit me nicely. I can usually get something with a really nice fit and decent quality from Salters for £200.
    Yup! Salters.
    If nothing fits perfectly then go large and get it fitted. Still comes in way under £1k.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • My ysl suite bought in a sale in 1996 still fits me in the autumn.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Pross wrote:

Cakestop innit? Anyone would think it was overly representative of the metropolitan bourgeoisie who voted Remain. Surely not :D
  • what happened to the opening post? it now looks like Steve started a thread to explain his suit buying strategy
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Interesting when the OP removes the OP. :?
    Doesn't like being compared to metropolitan bourgeoisie who voted Remain? :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    I think it may have been started as an excuse to link to a site, I did wonder when I first read it.
  • Stevo_666
    what happened to the opening post? it now looks like Steve started a thread to explain his suit buying strategy
    It does look a bit odd now, doesn't it. I was definitely replying to a post :?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:
    I think it may have been started as an excuse to link to a site, I did wonder when I first read it.
    I would post a link to the place I got my suits from if they hadn't gone out of business...
  • Pross
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I would post a link to the place I got my suits from if they hadn't gone out of business...

I think the OP for this thread may have set it up purely as an excuse to link to a site though. I didn't recognise their name from other posts and then below all the 'I'm really struggling to find a reasonably priced (£500-£1000) suit' bit there was link to a great new site they'd found. I didn't click on it so don't even know if it was even suit related or just some type of scam.
  • I also checked, but the OP did have loads of other posts as I thought the same
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    For the very short time I was rich and living in london and cared about fashion and that, a tip I got that sounded sensible to me was to buy a suit (also applies to blazers) from a shop if necessary and then take it to a tailor to do the final fine tuning.

I never got around to trying it though before scurrying back to a job where it wasn't necessary

(I have no info on the missing OP though, sorry)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    what happened to the opening post? it now looks like Steve started a thread to explain his suit buying strategy
    as you now seem to own the root of the thread, you could change the title to "decals"
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Why is Stevo telling us about his suits? Who cares?
  • Stevo_666
    sungod wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    as you now seem to own the root of the thread, you could change the title to "decals"
    Bit of a dubious honour isn't it...wonder if I can change the title?
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Oh do keep up at the back of the meadow :wink:
  • Or start a whole series of threads detailing your buying decisions for various products.
  • Pross
    I wonder how many people have opened this thread expecting to see a review of a TV show and talk of Meghan Markle?
  • Definitely one :D
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

The politics of meadow envy?
  • Stevo_666
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Can't really see the point in having one. Not sure why you have one in your nice part of town? Unless your house has wheels and you move it from one place to another? :)
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Robert88 wrote:

Can't really see the point in having one. Not sure why you have one in your nice part of town? Unless your house has wheels and you move it from one place to another? :)

'ay for the 'orses, hobviously. Made a killing last year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Suitsupply

Not seen one of these that lasts, but ymmv.

It's not fashionable to say so for it but a decent poly-wool blends will last a lot longer, if not so good at either end of the temperature spectrum. I find wool-only suits go shiny too fast (and obviously pure poly are shiny to begin with). Maybe because I'm not dropping £1500 on nicer wool.

Main question is if you fit off-the-rack. Since if you do you can spend £250 and look like you're wearing £800. Just focus on getting a decent fabric.

If not, it depends what you need altered on whether it's worth going for made to measure or off-the-peg and tweaked. FWIW, I have relatively broad shoulders for my under-arm chest size, so if I go anything off the peg that fits the shoulders I look like I'm wearing my Dad's suit.

And yeah, two pairs of trou make it last longer; just make sure you get them dry cleaned together with the jacket or you'll do what my mate did and end up wearing two-tone.