Family Mountain Biking

STEVOOLE
STEVOOLE Posts: 4
edited October 2019 in MTB beginners
Hi
Our little family of 3 had a great time in Scotland last year riding around on some gravel paths and trails. My son has a mountain bike but the wife and I only have hybrids at the moment. Son is older now and wants to try something more challenging but not something that is hardcore - we're still talking about family riding that is muddy trails with a few rocks and tree roots. This I think means an upgrade from the hybrids to full MTB but only want a budget bike. Looking at reviews on here the Calibre two cubed gets great reviews at the £400 mark I'm looking at. Has anyone got a real life review/opinion on this bike and if it is a good starting point?
I know there are many bikes on offer at this price. How does the Calibre compare to something like the Trek Marlin 5? What am I looking for in an MTB?
Any opinions/recommendations welcome for this noob.
Cheers

Comments

• oxoman wrote:
    The calibre would be my choice. Better spec than the Trek.

I went for one of these only to find the only sizes available were the S or M. Being 6ft I was after the L and they couldn't offer any advice if more would be forthcoming.
  • Thanks for the responses guys
    calibre seems to be the one at that price
    I'm 5'11" so hoping a medium will do

What did you end up with instead mikeshe?
  • STEVOOLE wrote:
    Thanks for the responses guys
    calibre seems to be the one at that price
    I'm 5'11" so hoping a medium will do

What did you end up with instead mikeshe?

Nothing as yet mate. Going into hospital for an op in a couple of weeks so will look again once I'm out and about. Did look at a few Carrera's at Cycle Republic / Halfords, same sort of spec for a similar price.
  • Managed to get a large frame two cubed... Happy