Tyres on a 29er to use as a winter commuter

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited October 2019 in MTB workshop & tech
My friend has a Trek 29er.

He has two spare brand new tyres from his road bike one is a 700x28c the other is a 700x32c.

He wants to buy some hybrid type tyres to use when commuting, but I told him the 700c tyres he had should fit.

First, am I correct?

Second with the being different widths could they be used together? Would you put the wider one in the rear?

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Yes, they’ll technically fit as the diameter is the same, but you may find the 28 in particular is a little stretched wide across the rim, depending on the (inner) rim width of the 29er wheels.

If you do use them I’d consider putting the 32 on the front to be honest, as it will have a slightly bigger contact patch and with disc brakes the majority of your braking grip is through the front wheel.

But really, those are a bit too narrow. Have a look at Planet X - they have loads of good 700c / 29er size tyres in 35 or 38mm width for 8 quid each. Search for Vittoria Voyager for example. Excellent value tyre.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • If your friend is in the UK I've got a set of commuting tyres I took off my Trek X-Caliber 29er which I bought second hand recently. There's plenty of life in them and I don't want anything for them, couple of quid for postage I guess. But £8 for new ones!