Diane Abbot

2»

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    I sense a certain disappointment that it all went more or less to plan.
    Well done to Diane. She can count to 7 now :)

Lol. Which Cambridge college did you study at?
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Imposter wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    Thank fk that Raab did not win the leadership election!

This is the guy who didn't realise we live on an island..

...we don't, do we?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    Lagrange wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    Thank fk that Raab did not win the leadership election!

This is the guy who didn't realise we live on an island..

...we don't, do we?
    No we live in our own little fxxxed up weird world. Ingerrlaand, Ingerrlaand, Ingerrlaand... ad nauseam
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Yes, all the fault of the English.
    Even Wales voting to Leave ( which seems to be overlooked by many) is apparently the fault of the English.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... t-research
  • Isn't England accounting for the greater part of the UK. Anyone know what percentage?

The other counterpoint to the guardian piece is what percentage of people in Scotland were English and voting remain? Or Welsh in England voting leave?

Are there any figures for actual nationality voting in the referendum as opposed to figures relating to place people live? If it's the English fault Wales voted leave are they matched by Welsh voting remain in England for example.

Afaik you can only say those resident in Scotland and northern Ireland voted for remain vote England and Wales voted leave
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    @TM Please don't think I put any store in the Guardian article.
    I only posted it to mock the ridiculous headline in response to Loony's post.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    CBA to look it up again but I did read an article a while back citing poll evidence that the Welsh "yes" vote was tipped over the balance point by retired English people.
    So, ridiculous? No.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    bompington wrote:
    CBA to look it up again but I did read an article a while back citing poll evidence that the Welsh "yes" vote was tipped over the balance point by retired English people.
    So, ridiculous? No.
    I think thats just incredulity on behalf of Welsh remainers who can't believe their fellow countrymen could be so stupid. Blaming the English gives them a way out..
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Imposter wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    So, ridiculous? No.
    I think thats just incredulity on behalf of Welsh remainers who can't believe their fellow countrymen could be so stupid. Blaming the English gives them a way out..
    Well I agree to some extent that it is always an easy excuse to blame "the foreigner living among us".
    But seeing as how there was discussion up thread about how people living in a different part of the UK to their "ethnicity" (yes, I know it's ridiculous to use the word in this context) might have affected the result, I thought I'd mention a case where opinion poll data suggested quite strongly that it had in fact happened.
  • bompington wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    So, ridiculous? No.
    Well I agree to some extent that it is always an easy excuse to blame "the foreigner living among us".
    But seeing as how there was discussion up thread about how people living in a different part of the UK to their "ethnicity" (yes, I know it's ridiculous to use the word in this context) might have affected the result, I thought I'd mention a case where opinion poll data suggested quite strongly that it had in fact happened.

Cardiff had a 60/40 split to remain. Very cosmopolitan but probably not many English choosing to retire there. Doesn’t prove anything either way and it is not Diane Abbott’s fault.